#1 phoenix1

phoenix1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: bssmc.com

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

Hi I have just acquired a 1380 engine it has not been run for sometime.It sounds great when running and I was wondering what CR I should expectIt is about 125 after running for about 5 minutes. I dont know anything about it except that it was built by MED. It has  a 45 DCOE.Also what power should I expect ,I know it depends on lots of factors but about what should I  be looking for. Thanks Bryan

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

You won't be able to work out the compression ratio unless you remove the head, this will also give you an opportunity to check out the condition of the valves.

#3 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

If it was a fully built MED motor it is most likely stamped with some kind of ID number. If so you should be able to contact MED for a spec as they usually keep a record.
As for the power output, there's almost as much chance of guessing the winning lottery numbers as there is guessing how much power you're engine will make when we have no idea of the spec.

Phil.

Edited by Turbo Phil, 30 September 2017 - 11:12 PM.

#4 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:50 AM

Are you saying that the compression test is giving you 125 psi?? If that is true then it is rather low. Maybe test it again when cold, then add some oil into each cylinder and test again.

Check that the valve clearances are correct.

#5 paul1380

paul1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

I have a MED built engine I contacted MED via email to get some history for it as I brought it from Ebay but they were not a lot of help as they only keep the information for 5-6 years.

But they did say they did remember the engine and did tell me the timing and what carb and what year it was built.

The specs are 1380 A series block

stage 3 head

1.5 roller rockers

Duplex timing chain set at 117-118 as stated by Mini speed

omega pistons

I changed the cam as the original one was shot (old SW5) New cam-Evolution 001 from mini speed

Maniflow Manifold 

Twin SU HS6 carbs (considering weber 40 dcoe)

I'll take a look at my compression I know its higher then yours as I wrote it down when I rebuilt mine. 

#6 phoenix1

phoenix1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: bssmc.com

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

Yes it has a number MED number stamped on the block and I like you probably because it is old they couln't tell me much about it.At the moment I am getting ready to paint the car  (Reliant Robin with the engine in the back ) So when its finished I will give it a good run the retest the compression. I was told it would have had  about 120 bhp when first built .   By the way because the engine is in the rear there is plenty of room and it has a long kinlet manifold to a 45 DCOE carb.  Bryan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users