Photo
- - - - -

Tower Bolt Alignment Issue

suspension

Best Answer tiger99 , 04 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

They almost always do that, and it is largely due to tolerances in the shell when built or last repaired. The steel spacer is unlikely to be the problem, as its two clearance holes are positioned by the raised lip around the bolt holes in the subframe.

The two pairs of bolts are the primary location and load path for the subframe, and should be located and nipped up loosely before any of the other bolts are fitted. You should have one at each front corner, accessible through the lower front panel below the bumper, and two each side where the toeboard meets the floor, one of each pair vertical and the other on the slope. These should be in fairly sloppy holes and have large washers, while the two at the front often need shimming between body and subframe, typically using large repair washers to fill the gap.

I would suggest removing all six of the bolts I have just described to guarantee free movement, then wiggle the subframe as necessary (car sitting on its wheels) to get the main top bolts in, and only then refit the other bolts, shimming as necessary at the front. I expect that one of the front corners will turn out to be where the problem originated, and may need shimming, but all that will become obvious in due course.

Have fun.

Go to the full post