6 replies to this topic

#1 John/Dominguez

John/Dominguez

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:45 AM

Hi everyone! Something very random happened a few days back.. I was driving as usual my 1996 copper spi and all of the suddent she stoped, at first I thought I run out of petrol but I had a full tanks so when I pull over and try to ignite it she wouldn't start, to the point that I flatted the battery so I asked my wife to give me a jump start and again didn't start so I towed her to the garage and at first the mechanic say the spark wasn't making it trough the distributor cap and rotor arm so they change it and now the spark go pass that and the fuel pump is pushing petrol to the throttle bodyp but doesn't fire up... any advise of what can be causing this problem? Cheers guys

#2 John/Dominguez

John/Dominguez

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

Come on guys! No one had this problem before? Thanks in advance

#3 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:02 PM

Do your mechanics know anything about Classic Minis? Most just chuck new parts at it at your expense!

It could be several things. You have to go through everything methodically.

#4 John/Dominguez

John/Dominguez

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

I move back to Spain a few years ago and unfortunatelly here isn't many minis around so is not much experience on them so that is why I'm appealing to the forum to see if someone had something similar to guide me and the mechanic.. many thanks

#5 southlincspickup

southlincspickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Local Club: Bomber county minis

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

Cut off switch for petrol pump
Look under bonnet near wiper motor
Press black button
Worth a try

#6 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

check that there is actually a spark from each of the leads

#7 MiniAida

MiniAida

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

Hi John / Dominguez

Here's what I would do;

Listen for the high pitched sound of the fuel pump when you turn on ignition - no sound = fuel pump problem

Turn over engine for a few seconds - f you've got a spark tester you can do this at the same time - then take out a spark plug (turn ignition off for safety).

Check to see that the spark plug is wet with fuel - you should be able to feel it with your finger & smell the petrol. No fuel here = fuel injector not working (could be a few reasons for this - e.g. main relay / fuel cut off switch (as southlincspickup says) / wiring).

Note* you can take off the air filter housing and see the injector squirting when you look down the throat of the throttle body, as the engine is being turned over.

If you have,'t got a spark tester, you can do it now - get someone to turn over engine with the spark plug you've just taken out pushed back into the lead and outside part of plug resting on engine, to make contact (earth) with something bare metal e.g cylinder head stud. You should see a spark (easier if it's a bit dark).

No spark = ignition fault e.g. coil pack / distributor / rotor arm.

Note* on injected minis the distributor only distributes the spark, it's timing is controlled by ECU & flywheel sensor, so worth checking these connections, which will mean no spark is sent to the distributor. Again, a spark tester is invaluable here.

If all of these seem fine, I would suggest a cylinder head gasket failure, going by the story of how it stopped during the drive. A compression test would be wise before starting any dismantling though.

Good luck!

MA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users