58 replies to this topic

#16 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

Paint work sucks but means you don't have to worry about scratching it! Looks honest enough a nice motor.

#17 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

Paint work sucks but means you don't have to worry about scratching it! Looks honest enough a nice motor.

Im trying to convince my girlfriend its Shabby chic. Going to have a go wet sanding it one day and see if that evens the finish out. If not one day Ill put my hand in my wallet and have it resprayed. 😥

#18 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:11 PM

Nah it’s unique and a feature. Save the money for petrol

#19 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

found a new problem! split gator, ill add it to the to do list!

ive also taken some photos of under the car, Id love to get your opinions on how it looks under there. I know its hard to tell from photos but if anything is shouting out as looking dodgy then let me know as I am very much learning as I go along and purely have this forum and the web as reference for what I should be looking at/doing.

update wise ive got a new wiper stalk ordered which I am hoping will solve my dipped beam not coming on then its just a few more bits before we attempt the first MOT of the 21st century! 

Attached File  IMG_6259.jpg   56.47K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6260.jpg   26.73K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6263.jpg   58.79K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6264.jpg   61.73K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6266.jpg   35.21K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6267.jpg   24.86K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6268.jpg   38.71K   0 downloads

#20 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

It looks like you've avoided 'oversills' which are generally not good news (they lack the open vents of the proper sills), but have the sills been part plated over? There are normally six vents in each side (see http://www.minispare...ic/14A9535.aspx). If so, you might want to look at that.

#21 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

It looks like you've avoided 'oversills' which are generally not good news (they lack the open vents of the proper sills), but have the sills been part plated over? There are normally six vents in each side (see http://www.minispare...ic/14A9535.aspx). If so, you might want to look at that.

Had a quick look. I appear to have 4 openings on each side (1 or 2 of them have somehow been crushed...) and it does look like  a plate or something has been welded on the corners near the front wheel arches.. once I find a garage I trust ill see if someone can take a look at them without just seeing me as a piggy bank

Update wise I have now fitted the new indicator stalk and have working headlights! so im another step closer to the MOT! Have also discovered that I have a leak from the gearbox selector shaft, seems pretty common and its not too awful so im gonna leave it alone for now but if it gets too bad ill tackle it

Attached File  IMG_6276.jpg   41.4K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6277.jpg   34.69K   6 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6275.jpg   60.15K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6274.jpg   46.24K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6279.jpg   59.75K   1 downloads

#22 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

The crushed vents are probably from incorrect jacking

#23 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:37 PM

The outer sills should be an easy fix really they have just had some dodgy repairs in the past

#24 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

quick update for the past month

had to take the clutch out as whoever fitted it had not seated it correctly so it was flapping about and caused some damage to the crank shaft...

despite some advice to remove the engine and start a rebuild I went for the cheaper easy option of simply putting the clutch back on (replaced the center boss) and cleaned up the cosmetic damage on the crank shaft. all back together and seems ok! the car starts happier and doesnt sound like its about to destroy itself anymore!

still deciding on long term plans... as previously mentioned the paint job on my mini is not great as the previous owner done it himself with some rattle cans but before I go down the route of respray im gonna have a go at wet sanding the paint and trying to make it a bit more presentable as I really want to drive this car at some point!

so jobs done since owning the mini;

Helicoiled sump plug thread

replaced indicator stalk

distributor cap and rotor arm

fitted washer jets and pipes

fixed gear selector pin

replaced brake master cylinder

replaced clutch slave cylinder

replaced steering gator

fitted oval center cluster with oil pressure and water temp gauge

fitted sound proof and carpets

fitted wheel arch trim and mirrors

removed and refitted clutch with new flywheel bolt

before owning the mini the extent of my mechanical experience was a couple of oil changes and changing an air filter!

:proud:  :proud:  :proud:  :proud:  :proud:

Attached File  IMG_6351.jpg   44.29K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6405.jpg   65.37K   0 downloads

#25 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

Well done that man. No substitute for getting stuck in and DIY :D

#26 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

what a day it has been....

I had a blowing exhaust from the manifold joint so decided to take it off and clean things up to try and get a better seal

I have been loosing a bit of coolant recently which i thought was due to a leaky heater valve but have also noticed some oily residue in the radiator so decided that whilst I had the manifold off and was going to flush the coolant I might as well change the head gasket whilst im at it!

all in all it was not too bad, the most frustrating part was cleaning the old gasket off..

all back together and everything seems to be running a lot better! still needs the carb tuning/cleaning as im sure it isnt running as sweet as it could be but progress has been made!

Attached File  IMG_6558.jpg   28.12K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6560.jpg   23.82K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6562.jpg   45.62K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6563.jpg   80.22K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6566.jpg   101.36K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6567.jpg   72.48K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6568.jpg   47.48K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6569.jpg   77.05K   0 downloads

#27 stuenutter

stuenutter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

Looks a good project you have there and it's the same colour as mine. 😀

#28 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

thought an update was due,

I have not done a huge amount to the mini since Christmas but a few little jobs have been ticked off to get ready for the MOT 

first job although not MOT necessary was to replace the fuel sender. so now we have a fuel gauge reading!  took the opportunity to remove the tank and give it a bit of a clean out, looks nice and solid behind the fuel tank so im happy. 

Attached File  IMG_7092.jpg   37.32K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7095.jpg   23.41K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7093.jpg   41.78K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7099.jpg   16.62K   1 downloads

still undecided with what im going to do with the paintwork. As ive said before the previous owner has done a rattle can job and in person its pretty shabby, the photo above is after a quick rub down with some 2000/3000 grit wet and dry then a quick polish... its still bad but i really want to put a couple of miles on the mini before I take the plunge and strip it down for a respray. 

I consider myself a mini enthusiast and tell people im a classic mini owner so its a bit embarrassing that ive never actually driven one!

is there a record on this forum for the longest mini ownership without ever actually driving it/any other mini?

Attached Files

#29 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

strange the photos are not in the correct order??? forgot to mention id added the battery support bar. little tip for anyone. the 5cm hook is about £3 on minispares whereas the 7cm hook is only £1ish so my plan is to cut down the longer one and save a couple of quid

#30 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

Good work, the boot looks very solid, I found a big hole under my tank :lol:. I think there was a thread back along of longest ownership without driving it, It took me just under 7 years to drive my first mini but had another one as a daily driver a few years after getting the project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users