#1 DJC MINI

DJC MINI

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

My mini has developed a slight vibration when braking from higher speed (from 40 onwards) the discs look fairly new when I bought it a couple of months back. It isn't a severe vibration to even shake the steering column, just a slight vibration when braking from a higher speed. I'm guessing the discs need replacing as they are warped.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

more likely to be something else. very hard to warp Mini discs.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

Could be a wheel bearing, worn ball joint, even the tires. Worth checking all of the suspension components first.

Also possible play in the rack, rack mounting clamps etc.

#4 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

Has the car been stored outside in poor weather recently?
Sometimes the part of the disc where the pads sit is protected but everywhere else develops surface rust. If that is not GENTLY scraped off when using the car after standing, then the pads slide on the rust then grab on the clean bit producing the kind of effect you describe. A bit of careful left foot braking (so you can keep the power on) when there's no traffic about often improves matters but if not, then removal of the discs and thoroughly cleaning with coarse emery around the discs might help. As others say, mini discs rarely warp on a road car. After that you are down to checking all associated components in the driveline.

Ian

Edited by orcadian, 08 October 2017 - 08:28 AM.

#5 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

There are cheep discs on the market which do not fulfill OEM quality requirements. I had the same Problem which showed after some hundred km. Since then I prefer the besteht ones. Raeson: it hurts the suspension.
On the other side first check the above mentioned possible reasons for Vibration.

#6 MiniAida

MiniAida

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:55 AM

Hi Dan

It's worth checking the rubbers on the front tie bar - quite hard to see them both, but easy to test by trying to move the bar side to side with a bit of force. It shouldn't move, but if i does, then replace asap. *You can get polybushes to fit here, which last a bit longer & don't affect ride comfort noticeably.

I've never had a mini brake rotor warp, but do check the thickness of the disc as it will if it gets worn enough!

Good luck!

MA

#7 DJC MINI

DJC MINI

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I had a look yesterday and there is a bit of play in the suspension. So will replace the track rod end. Will then have the tracking done.

#8 DJC MINI

DJC MINI

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I had a look yesterday and there is a bit of play in the suspension. So will replace the track rod end. Will then have the tracking done.

#9 DJC MINI

DJC MINI

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users