Photo
- - - - -

Squeaking Suspension

Best Answer Ethel , 15 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Wouldn't have thought polyurethane was particularly at risk

http://www.whiteline...lubrication.php

Silicone based release agent sold specifically for PU. Gives a suggestion of what's suitable if nothing else. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

Hi All, 

This may have been asked before, but I'm not too sure how to tackle it correctly. 

I recently had the main suspension components replaced. Tie rods, lower arms, Hi-Los and new poly bushes for the tie rod ends and lower suspension arms. This stiffened up the ride (I know that isn't to everyone's taste) and all the old squeaking sounds were gone. 

After taking a long drive 240 km, the squeaking sound has now returned, although it's not as bad as before fitting the new components. So I'm wondering if I can use some kind of grease to on the bushes to get rid of the squeaking?

I read up on the internet regarding greasing poly bushes and the suggestion seems to be something that is lithium based like Castrol LM grease. Which they recommend for roller wheel bearings and bushes. Is this the right stuff to use?

Thanks,

Vinay

#2 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

Hi Vin

Were the top knuckle joints changed on the front suspension,or rubber cones replaced.

What can happen is the grease in the knuckles dries up, and the knuckles can wear  through the plastic knuckle cover. Additionally they go dry and cause "The Squeak"

Seems like the addition of new items has moved what ever grease was in the cup around a bit, and it has dried back up.The top arm bushes and pins can go rusty over a long period of time too if you have a high mileage Mini, and again dry up. This normally creates a vague steering effect which feels like you are trying to correct the steering or keep it in a straight line most times,especially after going over a bump.

I doubt it to be shockers squeaking, but anything is possible with a Mini !

Edited by richmondclassicsnorthwales, 14 October 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#3 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

Hi Richmond, 

Yeah, I forgot to mention that all the knuckle joints (front and rear) were also replaced. The top arms bushes weren't replaced, so I suppose they could be the source of the squeaking, although surely that would have displayed itself when all the other components were changed? 

#4 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

Can you get new replacement bushes and pins? 

Edited by Vinay-RS, 14 October 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#5 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

I have always had issues with squeeking shock bushes I grease them and it's fine for afew months. These were brand new shocks. I'm hoping eventually they will settle in and shut up.

#6 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hi

If the top arms were not took off, you may not have seen if the pins and bushes were rusty.

Good the knuckles were done, so that's a strange one you still have squeaking. As I said, it is normally steering issues you have with top arms in respect that it can feel vague and that you need to correct it to keep the car straight all the time.

Top pins and bushes are available in complete kit forms for about £15 a side.

Might need some others input on this one.

Arm your self with a can of Duck Oil, it's great stuff, I think better than WD, it stays wetter longer, great in key locks to stop freezing in winter. Arm yourself with a can, and go around a few joints and give it a spray, might try and narrow the squeak down a bit by spraying certain joints individually.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help.

#7 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

Sounds like a good plan. I will get a can of the stuff and spray the top arm pins and see if it helps. 

I was actually wondering about the grease to use for poly bushes too. Since the internet information seems wildly varied. With some suggesting that rubber grease is bad and degrades the polymer chains and others saying the same thing about lithium based grease (like Castrol LM grease). 

I should have gotten a set of pins for the top arms when I bought the rest of the suspension parts. It would have made the whole process a lot simpler. 

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:42 PM   Best Answer

Wouldn't have thought polyurethane was particularly at risk

http://www.whiteline...lubrication.php

Silicone based release agent sold specifically for PU. Gives a suggestion of what's suitable if nothing else. 

#9 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

Great! So it seems that lithium-based greases are suitable. I will remove the bushes and grease them before refitting. Hopefully, the squeaking goes away. I will report back when done. 

#10 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hi Vin

Don't worry too much with the grease on the Poly bits, a little bit is fine, silicon grease is good, nice and slippy, again the Duck Oil will help, especially on the lower arms.

The only draw back you have doing the top arm bushes is that you may need a tool to pull back the rubber cones as there is a good bit of compression against the top arms. The job always tends to lean that you do need a cone compressor, but depends if yours are flat and you can do the job without, but then that says you should replace the cones as they are knackered. It's one of them jobs, want to do just one, but end up doing 2 jobs,  and with more expense !

Good luck with the Mini, they are a labour of love

#11 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

Thanks 

Hi Vin

Don't worry too much with the grease on the Poly bits, a little bit is fine, silicon grease is good, nice and slippy, again the Duck Oil will help, especially on the lower arms.

The only draw back you have doing the top arm bushes is that you may need a tool to pull back the rubber cones as there is a good bit of compression against the top arms. The job always tends to lean that you do need a cone compressor, but depends if yours are flat and you can do the job without, but then that says you should replace the cones as they are knackered. It's one of them jobs, want to do just one, but end up doing 2 jobs,  and with more expense !

Good luck with the Mini, they are a labour of love

I'm hoping that I can take apart the tie rods and lower arms and remove and regrease the bushes. I'll move onto to the top arms and use some of that stuff to grease the pins. Fingers crossed, all the squeaking goes away. I need to buy a cone compressor at some stage too.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users