#1 AlfieHopkins

AlfieHopkins

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

To start I have a 1998 Mini Mpi

So I finally decided to take the car apart to find out where the water in the foot wells is coming from, the bulkhead always looked completely dry when looking before so I assumed it was something else, though the scuttle did look rusty I have sealed and leak tested it and it seemed to fine so I ended up taking the dash out and poked around and found these holes

Drivers Side Vent
7F52A39D-D24F-4435-9308-CC3B6CFBA504_zps

Passenger Side Vent
D46AC681-8A9B-4C80-8377-CFEABB96E580_zps

(In the wheel arch water was also dripping between where the scuttle and wing meet)

I also found the door seals like this which was causing water to run down the door stops and into the car on both sides.
8D6D893A-94D0-4547-905A-1632F43A33C0_zps

27051EDE-E9F9-4718-AE8D-5759789D5E6A_zps

Also water was running into the outer window seal and through the door and out of the bottom, I think some of this was getting in but Im not too sure. (picture below shows it on the outside of the window, its raised higher than it should be)
91D7A0D2-FFF9-4172-824C-0A37BD5236A0_zps

7F2BF028-823F-4B18-AB8A-EAD2A97FA7BC_zps

Can anyone suggest on how to fix these problems in the easiest way possible? And which parts to buy and if there could be any other places the water could be coming it? I do have access to a welder and can fabricate new metal parts if required.

Any help would be appreciated

Alfie.

Edited by AlfieHopkins, 16 October 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#2 AlfieHopkins

AlfieHopkins

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

I will sort the pictures and repeats when Im home from work, Im struggling to do all of this from a phone 🙃

#3 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

I cut the rott out of mine in the same places and repaired with patches that sealed up the air vents. If I steam up I just open the window a touch. It’s difficult but do able with the front end on. Realistically though some pretty major front end work is going to be required in the not too distant. I also recommend looking into front wheel arch liners which are very good at keeping those areas dry.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

MPi Minis are often terrible for corrosion in those areas and around the base of the windscreen........when you start digging it will likely get even worse so hope you are ready for major welding and panel work unless you are hoping to just patch it up for a quick sale.....

#5 AlfieHopkins

AlfieHopkins

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

The post has now been edited to show the correct pictures, i just need it repaired enough so it wont leak through the winter as its my daily and i plan on rebuilding the whole front end next summer, im thinking about removing the vents entirely and replacing them with speakers anyway, so im not sure if this will help seal it better?

#6 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

The post has now been edited to show the correct pictures, i just need it repaired enough so it wont leak through the winter as its my daily and i plan on rebuilding the whole front end next summer, im thinking about removing the vents entirely and replacing them with speakers anyway, so im not sure if this will help seal it better?

Cut the rot out and plate them closed. You can always reinstate in the summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users