So with the other half and daughter away from Friday to Sunday I could get some bits done.
The car is now sat on all four wheels with fresh front cones and hi-los all round, that done I then started to mock the seats up on timber to get a feel with where I wanted them and figure out a safe and solid solution for mounting the Cobra Clubman seats to the welded in seat rails. I also ideally wanted the driver seat on a adjustable subframe as my GF will be driving on some events, as I would hate to miss out on the opportunity to throw up trying to read maps in a moving car.
She is shorter than me but luckily neither of use are either ridiculously short or tall im 6ft shes like 5ft4. In the end it was quite a simple fix. The mounting widths of the rails and the seats were different but the spacing between the mounts were the same front to back for both the seat and the rails/subframe rails.
So I was able to chop the legs off a std subframe then weld a length of 1”x1” box to the bottom of the subframe and use that to pick up the welded in mounts and then drill the box section to allow me to bolt it onto the welded in seat rails. Biggest headache was checking and rechecking it was square and looking straight ahead, there will be enough motion sickness going on in the car without the driver feeling ill as well as they are sat slightly off square. It needs removing and fully welding up and I need some slightly shorter bolts which I will have to grab one night after work, but apart fromthat the drivers seat is sorted. Passengers I will just solid mount so just need a couple lengths of box to do that.
That done i sorted out the roll cage door bars that came with the car and got them fixed in, to make sure nothing was going to foul with the seat mounting and subframe movement etc, all was good so the seat can be fully welded up now.
Next was to start looking at the wiring, electrics not being my stongest subject! I started to look at the wiring for the external sockets I want/need. Whats in is ok but I’ll add some 12v sockets as they have been taken off the existing wiring.
To that end I managed to score a bargain on eBay last night, won a Roamertime+ from the basic roamer company for less than £90 posted, happy with that so can now have a look at getting a sensor sorted for that to use. I have also been looking at their roamerlite C Potti, I like it as its battery operated so one less thing to potentially go wrong in the car. But that will have to wait till the new year.
Next job is to replicate Rally1380 harness bar mount as mine currently uses mounts into the rear parcel shelf with spreader plates underneath, not ideal and as I have a new welder I want to do some fabricating.
I was going to start it up get it out of the shed into the winter sum and get some pics, but the battery id had was goosed as was another I had kicking around. So I’ll have to get a fresh battery for it, I have had it running from jump leads previously but I need to get it mobile as I need to be able to take it across to the house and put it into that garage. I need some power to get a hairdryer onto the vinyl stickers that’s covering it as trying to take them off without is taking the paint with it, not great!!
on a final note, i have booked accomodation for March 3rd just down the road from Beeston cattle market at a place i have stayed at before when racing at oulton, i did try to get accom in the Bickerton Poacher but its already full. Training day forms for the HRCR training with KDMC are printed off at home and will be sent as soon as i am paid.
hopefully the car is up,running and fully legal straight after Xmas giving me a couple months to use it, i'll also need to swap the carbs prior to March though i think i lent my ultrasonic cleaner out so will need to retriev that i think first.
Edited by 28hodge, 27 November 2017 - 03:56 PM.