28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

It's a 3 synchro rod change box, it's this MED gear set that's in it -

http://www.med-engin...ynchro-gear-kit

I must be being dumb though as I have taken the gator off and can't see anywhere to fit the switch, but have only quickly looked, I'll have a better look on Saturday morn. I want a reversing light as although we will only be doing daytime events really I will still use the mini and I was turning it around the other night and literally couldn't see a thing, plus the Devils own has some night sections and I'm not totally against driving to and from some of the events, mainly as I can't easily tow.

My daily car is a fiesta st so can't have a tow bar and the gf's is a pathfinder so due to its max gross weight makes it impossible for me to tow, she rides horses songs done her test and is OK to tow.

We have been out in it tonight and it's running better. GF actually quite enjoyed driving it which was good.

It's booked for an MOT on Wednesday next week but I may have to cancel it as I'm not 100% I can take it now and then pick it up due to childcare and work commitments but hopefully I'll sort something.

Edited by 28hodge, 10 January 2018 - 09:49 PM.

#77 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

Also in other news I have been hunter gathering on eBay and managed to win a early verto inertia flywheel complete with clutch a inertia starter so once MOT'd and I know it's running ok I'll take a day off and swap the starter over then it's just the carbs to sort, looking for a hs6 but if I can't find one then I'll sort the hs4's I have and get a linkage and inlet ordered, oh and a filter and ram pipe set up!

It's only money after all!!

#78 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

Id be surprised if its rod change and 3 sync - all rod change boxes were 4 sync from the factory and making one 3 sync would be a backwards step, even for s/c gears.

If its rod change youll have one of these in the tunnel, under the gaiter:
http://www.minispare...|Back to search
The reverse switch screws into the side if it.

The Devils format has a half night section - about 120 miles in the dark. This year there was a good chunk of that in forests.

Edited by GraemeC, 10 January 2018 - 10:28 PM.

#79 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

27843332379_546204d550_o.jpgimage

Invoice for the box, I have re read the email from tony who built it up before selling it to the guy I bought it from, I thought he had said it was 3 synchro but he didn't he said it was standard ratios, so a reverse light should be easily solved.

#80 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

So last night I managed to get a couple hours in the garage, I need to work through a couple of jobs for the Mot next week, nothing major but really just a check of everything. I needed to get the rear number plate light working which was easily solved though all the screw heads had been butchered so I ended up having to drill out one screw head. That done I just cleaned up all the holders and hey presto we had some lights.

Next was to adjust the handbrake as although it held the car it needed to be pulled on all the way, so I tightened up the cable a little and wound the adjusters a little to get the handbrake to engage a bit sooner. I then got the GF to sit in and press the brakes to see if I could see if there was a massive in-balance across the axles. From driving it the front are fine as it brakes in a straight line, but I wasn’t sure about the rears. I stuck it up on axle stands, and the drivers side rear is good the passengers, well, isn’t. 

Regardless as to where the adjuster is its making zero difference to the wheel which I can turn easily. I tried to bleed it up (despite having a good firm pedal) and like a numpty managed to totally lose the pedal all together as the reservoir got low. So then had to crack the union at the res off and bleed that and the front again, I have got a pedal back but still cant get the rear brake to work, could the wheel cylinder be seized? I have another but the locating pin is on the wrong side so would have to bugger about welding and drilling the back plate?

I also need to put a little blob of weld on the handbrake bracket as I noticed it has a small crack in it, which we had missed spotting when my brother was up, bit I’ll do that over the weekend as I don’t like welding when I then don’t have time to be around the car for an hour or so afterwards to make sure nothing is going to burn.

One thing I did note is how stiff the car is. I had the rear up on axle stands and then jacked up the front corner on one side to put an axle stand under there and it lifted the rear on the same side off the axle stand! 

#81 MIJ

MIJ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

Sounds like your cracking on with this hodge and looking good! Was hoping to get an entry for the tour of cheshire also but not looking likely now, will hopefully be able to watch a couple of tests . Good luck

Edited by MIJ, 12 January 2018 - 06:39 PM.

#82 Mexicotait

Mexicotait

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

Good luck for tour of Cheshire
One event I fancy but quite a long way away

#83 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Sounds like your cracking on with this hodge and looking good! Was hoping to get an entry for the tour of cheshire also but not looking likely now, will hopefully be able to watch a couple of tests . Good luck

Getting there slowly, MOT today so that will dictate where we are. but its not running right so i am going to have to check the tappet clearances and then the timing.

It might be worthwhile putting an entry in and going as a reserve. I have never done a HRCR event but if its like any other motorsport event i have competed in there will be some that withdraw late on allowing the reserves to take up their spots.

Yours mini looks nice, certainly better than mine!!

#84 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

So its in for its MOT.

I have been having a mare with the Carbs, there were a number of small issues, and I dont want to spend time and money on sorting this HIF44 carb 100% as itll need to come off in the near future. Monday night was an pain. I needed to weld the handbrake braket up and then sort the mixture a little bit. It should have been relatively easy and straight forward. It wasnt.

Handbrake was no problem, Carb was a problem, the Needle is a BCE, it ran Ok when I got it but the choke didnt work properly and the can was mega rich and stunk of fuel. A look through the old invoices and a quick email to Tony confirmed that it was running on a K&N cone filter, it had come to me with  the std airbox, so I though/hoped reverting back to a freer flowing cone would alleviate some of the richness. I have a rotten 1992 mainstream mini which has the HIF44 carb and a pipercross cone filter on it, I had taken the filter off it and stuck it on the Clubman.

It was better but it was doing weird things and not responding as it should when the dashpot was lifted and the mixture altered it was mega erractic. I took the dashpot off and jetted the carb by eye from the bridge after doing some research on the forum. But I was constantly getting big hiccups and backfiring through the carb. I wanted to check the dashpot oil and then noticed that the damper wasnt connected to the black screw in cap, I put that back together and then really had to start over. And suddenly it started to come together, then at about 10.30 the choke cable snapped!!

FFS. I had 3 options, 1 cancel the MOT which is today, sort the choke cable and then re book.
Take it for the MOT and hope they can start it and Mot it (I need to drop the car off the night before so wouldnt be able to take them a running car and wait for them to do it)
Go to my dads, semi break into one of the outbuildings where the mainstream is, remove the carb/choke/anything which looked useful, then return home and fit to the clubman.

I had a brew and then resigned myself to a life of breaking and entering. In the end I removed the entire carb from the mainstream vac hose choke etc. then went home to spend sometime swearing with my head in the footwell and my legs over the top of the bucket seats, Fun I am sure you will all agree!

So choke all re set and then the fast and slow idle re tweaked off the back of this, I got to bed at 1am, great!

When I took it to the MOT I am still having running issues, small throttle openings its good, and if I slowly accelerate its ok, half way on the throttle causes lean running in this area but what seems to work ok. And no matter how much I richen it from where it is noting alleviates this. When I get it back from MOT I will static time it and then have a look with a strobe and make sure it is timed right as well as checking the tappets and more than likely adjusting them as they sound a little noisy.

Anyway MOT result to get first and see if I have any jobs from that. If it is going to fail I am expecting it to be on either a worn ball joint on the drivers side, I order 2 from minispares but might be ok with just reshimming, when I packed it with grease most of the movement was taken up.

Brakes on either efficiency or balance across the axles

Seat belts as they are rotary aircraft type and are FIA compliant (or were as its expired) but have no BS or EU markings, but I am hoping the tester is pragmatic with that.

See what 2pm brings. 

Edited by 28hodge, 18 January 2018 - 07:19 PM.

#85 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

MOT passed, one advisory on the ball joint, i had put a grease gun on it, and it seemed to take alot of the minor movement away. he said there was a little bit there still but he put some grease in it and said it was ok. I have 2 sat in a bag at home that i ordered from minispares on saturday.

But other than that its good to go.

Just need to sort the running now and get that better.

#86 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

That's a good result, now the hard work begins. :proud:

#87 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

That's a good result, now the hard work begins. :proud:

Yep, your not wrong, I need to time the engine and see what advance it is running, and then I also want to check the points and ignition to see if they are a cause of the poor running as when I picked it up last night and drove it home it ran a lot better. But it was cold, and I had the choke out, so it's either still lean, and/or the coil is breaking down when hot because once hot it runs worse.

It could still be lean but the mixture screw is nearly all the way in so if it is I'd need a new needle but in truth I'm not keen on buying anything for the hif44 carb as I can't and won't be using it.

The carbs need to be swapped for either a hs6 (preferred option as I can use the current inlet and filter etc, but don't have a hs6 so need to buy one) or clean service and fit the twin hs4's that I have which will also need a manifold and induction set up.

I also need to fit the verto flywheel which has the 107tooth ring gear on it and then the inertia starter and re wire the car for that. The roamer time trip wiring and installation needs a tidy up as do the rest of the electrics in truth, sort the fuel gauge which has stopped working.

Ideally I'd like to remove the oversills and fit correct sills before they do anymore damage.

So yeah plenty to get done!

Edited by 28hodge, 18 January 2018 - 07:29 PM.

#88 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

With regard to the flywheel, a pre-Verto is best, lightened and with a competition diaphragm/plate (Grey). Most rally Minis use pre-Verto as they do tend to be better and lighter.

See you on the Tour of Cheshire as I am marshalling (again) and will be in the Bickerton Poacher on the Friday evening.

#89 MIJ

MIJ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

Getting there slowly, MOT today so that will dictate where we are. but its not running right so i am going to have to check the tappet clearances and then the timing.

It might be worthwhile putting an entry in and going as a reserve. I have never done a HRCR event but if its like any other motorsport event i have competed in there will be some that withdraw late on allowing the reserves to take up their spots.

Yours mini looks nice, certainly better than mine!!

Thanks! It's getting there slowly :)
I'm sure you'll get everything ironed out soon enough, all good fun!

#90 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hmmm, I was getting there slowly, I have been using it a bit these last 2 days but today we have run out of sparks.

Electrics are a weak point for me, so I'm gonna have to do some reading and figure out what's what, I think it's condenser related as it ran well when cold then started to breakdown when hot, now it won't start or spark when cold.

I'll start at the easy bits and check resistances of ht leads plugs coil etc.

If anyone has a link to a nice simple post for electrically testing the ignition methodically?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users