151 replies to this topic

#106 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

Yeah we spoke about the avg speed stuff before Christmas and kinda took the view that it should a secondary consideration if we have the ability/spare capacity. So we had already kinda parked it till the other bits became more familiar.

#107 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

40026903212_4986862ba4_o.jpgimage

Whilst the daughter catches 40winks it's time for some plotting practice, vale of clwyd practice reg 4, bit tricky but got it in the end.

Edited by 28hodge, 03 February 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#108 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

39161463185_280862be71_o.jpgimage

Can't do this one though, thought the ref were backwards but they don't plot properly

#109 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

39161463185_280862be71_o.jpgimage

Can't do this one though, thought the ref were backwards but they don't plot properly

Without having a map in front of me I'm going to guess it's not GR's you want to plot. Looks to me like grid lines instead so group in 2's and see what happens.

Cross grid line 60,then 09 twice, then back over 60.....etc etc

Edited by rally1380, 03 February 2018 - 03:12 PM.

#110 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:43 PM

Ah that might work better, smallest member of the family is awake again so I'll have to have a look again
later tonight

#111 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

Yep that works, cheers

#112 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

Soooo, I have been using the mini as much as I can, but not as much as  wanted to, however it is running really well. I took it out on Friday night but only for about 20miles, Graeme will know where I went, up over clawthorpe through burton and then back round by burton tops, fun roads really.

Saturday I took it out with a mate on a roundabout tour to the pub about a mile down the road from me, however it took us best part of an hour to get there after I picked him up, went everywhere via B roads, again it ran perfect. Then yesterday I took it out for an hour and just toured around, and its running great.

So its now time to take it in bits and make it eligible for the TOC.
Two major things to do here – 
Change the Carbs to HS from HIF type. Probably looking at using the HS6 I got, the float and throttle/choke linkages are on the wrong side compared to the HIF but as part of my Saturday mystical tour I called into my dads where my other mini lives and nicked the abutment plate, and I think if I spin it round and tweak the bend slightly it’ll work. However I have 2 back ups with either another HS6 with the opposite orientation or a pair of HS4 twins.

The other major works is the starter and flywheel, I managed to buy an early verto flywheel and clutch with inertia ring gear on it from ebay along with the inertia starter. I also went Ebay mad and bought flywheel pullers and breaker bars seals etc needed to swap them. I have never done this before and I am not great at wiring, however I seems simple enough, and I have a couple minis with inertia wiring to look at and copy, so I should be ok.

I am going to book some days off next week and then get them swapped out.

Whilst I am doing that I also need to swap the ignition, last night I won a lumenition electronic ignition from ebay, its come off a MK1 mini so should be a simple fit, I do need to work out which coil I have (Ballast or non ballast) and then read the fitting instructions but with a bit of luck it’ll be an easy enough fit and saves any points/condenser failings ruining a day out.

Booked a trailer for the ToC so as long as the flywheel doesn’t cause massive headaches we should be good to go. I bet its not that straight forward though!!

Edited by 28hodge, 05 February 2018 - 01:53 PM.

#113 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

Ok, we have been busy. But we are looking good.

Last Saturday was rally school, run by hrcr in conjunction with kdmc it was a really good day, I had done some plotting and reading and kinda understood the principle and was managing to plot, what I was struggling with was how and what to do at itc's and time controls with the stop watches and trip meter.

My gf on the other hand was very green and had done nothing and was basically completely new to this, so the day was ideal for her and it explained the trip meter stopwatch etc to me. We did a practice reg (well plot and drive a route, there was no avg speed but as most were in modern cars with no trips avg speed stuff wasn't really possible) but we plotted it and drove it right so happy with that and picked up on plenty good little tips and hints.

The gf is however causing a slight issue which could sink us. She's norwegian, which is fine, but unbeknownst to me causes some issues with Msa licences. She essentially needs to be released by norways governing body to allow for the Msa to issue her a licence so not only does this double the cost of her licence it also means it takes a bit of time so as we sit here and now, she is still short of a licence and I have no back up to take her place, and in truth I don't really want to substitute someone into her place. So that's an issue potentially.

Carbs, I have been backward and forwards on this and ummm'd and ahhh'd. Really the simplest cheapest solution is bolt a hs6 on to mimic the hif44 that's on but not eligible under the regs, and be done with it. It'll use the same manifold and filter and although I'll have to do a little modding to get the carb to fit given the float and linkages are the opposite side compared to a mini hs carb normally is, it isn't too much work.

So sat night and Sunday I fitted it up and it's ok, the filter not being a straight fit and needing the base plate drilling out etc was a bugger but it's on, the car fired straight up and although I need to tweak it and set it up, it's kinda ok. But I don't want to spend money on needles and a correct filter for it. I was only fitting this as a straight swap stop gap until I could find a set of hs4 twins manifold etc 2nd hand for the right money.

So today after a pain in the ass morning in work I launched a £200 order at minispares and a £140 order at M.E.D for an itg filter set up and all the refurb kits and manifolds linkages etc I need to run the twin hs4's. I managed to restrain myself and not buy the maniflow inlet, as much as I wanted to I can't, in good conscience, spend that on a inlet manifold no matter how good it is, and I am sure it's very very good.

I have Friday off work, and the daughter is away Saturday at a birthday party so the plan is by the end of the weekend it's just a case of sitting tight for a licence and then loading it up on the trailer on the 2nd March.

#114 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

If a competitor turns up and does not have a comp licence the organisers will simply require the cost of a licence to be paid and provide a receipt.

#115 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:54 AM

If a competitor turns up and does not have a comp licence the organisers will simply require the cost of a licence to be paid and provide a receipt.

Cheers for that, She has had an email on Friday that says it has gone to the printers and should be out in the next week, they have also taken the cash from my account so i think we will be fine.

#116 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:50 PM

I'm awaiting my marshalling instructions for the T of C. Make sure you come and say hello.

I'm with my two great buddies Cec Offley and Barrie 'Whizzo' Williams.

Cec used to rally in Minis and once owned the 997 Cooper in which Roger Clark started his rally career, later moving onto a Cooper 'S' then an A-H Sprite. Barrie is the first driver ever to win an international rally in a Cooper 'S', the 1964 Welsh International.

We will be at the start and finish and at one or two controls during the day. Please try to be 'on time'  ;D .

#117 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

I'll be sure to say hello, we will be easily spotted, we will be the pair heading the wrong way at the wrong time more than likely with a cone or two being dragged along for the ride!

The GF's license turned up yesterday, so thats sorted.

I have swapped the needles in the carbs last night and tidied up the trip wiring a little, I need to make a couple door pouches for the clipboards and I am going to put a new throttle cable in as the current one is a little frayed and its really a HIF cable that i have altered to fit the hs4 cable holster. Oil and filter change this weekend an also have the lumenition ignition to fit but that should only take a couple hours and I have this weekend pretty free and also the Thurs off next week.

Then its a case of packing tools and spares that I want in the car with us and the rest into the tow car.

Even the GF is getting into it now as she wants to spend some time this weekend practice plotting so i will print her some regs off and she can have a run through them.

When will we get the seeding information? I am expecting to be in the 80's as that's what I put on the entry form

#118 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:20 PM

The final instructions and start list should arrive early next week I would guess. I know we get our marshalls instruction about Tuesday.

#119 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

Lumenition fit, oil and filter done fresh throttle cable and sorted some door pockets for the clip boards etc.

Been driving around running errands all morning and taken the back lanes everywhere, it's ace, noticed it's lost an exhaust stud so got one ordered up ready and can get that in next week.

My only small issue is it's very snatchy on the throttle at slow speeds and small throttle inputs it's very jerky, could this be down to a lack of slack in the throttle cable, or is it just a symptom of the cam? The cam is a minispares evo001 which I thought was meant to have pretty good road manners?

That said when driven at higher speeds it's running like a charm!

#120 MIJ

MIJ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

I had a similar problem with the throttle when I fitted a new cable. It was not sitting properly where the cable enters through the bulkhead and was catching on the locating hole on the bulkhead.
Good luck next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users