Photo

Has Anybody Been Caught On Their Phone Whilst Driving?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:07 AM

Every law is a can of worms open to interpretation! But I agree with this one, here in California you may only operate a phone "hands free whilst driving" to be not driving you have to be off the the highway and parked, meaning stopped with keys out of the Ign. Sat Nav is included in this as well. The built in Sat Nav. in my Jag will not allow you to program it whilst on the move.

#17 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

Has anyone actually been done in this imaginary 30 mins stationary on the motorway? I'd imagine the vast majority that say they have were more like 2 mins at a red light.

If you are in this totally stationary queue on a motorway where are the police coming from, a helicopter?

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

I sent a text whilst sat stationary in a 30min queue of traffic. The police saw me and I got 3 points and £80 fine. That was a few years back and I argued that I hadn't moved for 30 mins. No joy with begging either.

This is where it came from.

#19 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

Probably best to get a hands free system or get out to make a call as follows (provided youre stationary);

Throw the keys out of the window well clear of the car, shuffle over to the passenger side and get out that side. Then if the police come along you can say you were getting a lift and the driver has fled the scene already.

The police seem to turn a blind eye to eating and smoking which I dont understand. I guess they have their targets and phone use in a car is one of them.

#20 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

The really bizarre thing is if I have a Tom-Tom or a Bintone (for example) in a cradle on the dash I am allowed to touch it whilst driving so long as I don't drive carelessly. However, if I use my mobile phone as a sat nav, mounted in the same cradle, if I even touch it I can get 6 points and a £100 penalty.
Where is the logic in that?

#21 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

Just relay your phone thru your sat-nav, problem solved... 🙄

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:38 PM

I don't have a problem as both our BMW's have Bluetooth with I- drive control and built in sat nav. My Land Rover has a Bintone sat nav and I don't use my phone whilst driving.

#23 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:53 PM

I recall one or two prosecutions for things like eating an apple.

Would it be illegal to text hands free with Siri, or such like, I wonder?

Bananas are more heinous apparently 

#24 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

Has anyone actually been done in this imaginary 30 mins stationary on the motorway? I'd imagine the vast majority that say they have were more like 2 mins at a red light.

If you are in this totally stationary queue on a motorway where are the police coming from, a helicopter?

This, unless you're stopped right in front of them the police are no-where to be seen, all the officers are busy dealing with the accident or whatever.

The people I know who've been done for phone use in a holdup were idiots using them to take pictures of the crash as they drove past.

The police setup video units and film anyone with a phone in their hand, banged to rights!!

#25 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

Some silly cow this morning nearly drove right into me whist on the phone, she had kids in car too. Turning into my junction were I was stationary turning right. One hand on the wheel other holding phone I went mad.   The stupid women had a go back at me like id done something wrong... How would she feel if a driver on the phone ran into her kids.. Ticks me clean off....

Edited by FlyingScot, 25 October 2017 - 09:53 PM.
Trying to avoid swearing filter

#26 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

Hope your car was alrite.

#27 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

On my way home this evening I notice a guy on his phone whilst driving in slow moving traffic with a police traffic car two cars in front of him !
Why can’t people just drive !
Let’s hope the police officers clocked him in there rear view mirror.

#28 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

not read the thread properly, b ut i kidna went threw a red light some years ago, someone was slowing down and i pulled aroudn them and floored it..

i was told the points and fine where in teh post..

its 20 years later and not heard anything.

#29 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

Is being sat in traffic on a highway classed as being parked even with the engine off though?

I can't see how it would be as you are just stopped in a traffic queue, not parked off of the road or at the side in a designated parking space.

Problem is now, everyone has social media access on their phones and use every available second to keep checking it. It's not just drivers though. Pedestrians walk around like drones glued to their phones wandering out in front of traffic and walking into things.

If they caused an accident, would they get done for walking without due care and attention?

#30 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

And on the subject of Sat Nav, Mine warns me when i switch it on not to make adjustments to the route whilst driving.

I don't use mine hardly ever but have never found a reason to change anything once the route is set anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users