22 replies to this topic

#1 rolesyboy

rolesyboy

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

Regarding MPI clutch fitting is there a particular orientation I need to use when refitting the pressure plate and drive plate?

Thanks

#2 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

There are dowels on the flywheel so you cant get it wrong

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

However you can get the inner boss out of alignment so the crank and timing points on the flywheel are out.

#4 rolesyboy

rolesyboy

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hi, can you enlighten me on this please? I didn't mark the assembly when I took it out of the car. I have a feeling this might be my issue.

I appreciate the flywheel can only go on one way. Not sure how to align the clutch and inner boss correctly. Car is missing and wont rev over 3000 rpm.

Thanks a lot. Mark

#5 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

The flywheel can only go on one way but you can put it on 180 degrees out or upside down, if you have totally stripped the clutch you have maybe put the inner boss in 180 degrees out, but so far as Im aware if you put it in 180 degrees out it wont start at all

Edited by cian, 23 October 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

inner boss you prbably havent takent off, if you have and its wrong the minimum it would be out is 60 degrees, so wouldnt run,

if you have used a non injection clutch cover as a replacement this can put the timing out about 20 degrees and caus the symptom you describe, or the reluctor ring on the back of the fly wheel can move causing issues.

#7 rolesyboy

rolesyboy

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:50 PM

Thank you. I havent removed the inner boss so guess that aint my problem. Replacement crank sensor on the way next.

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

You've not replaced the pressure plate?

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

did not change anything. see other post

http://www.theminifo...-past-3000-rpm/

#10 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

double check plug order, andf timing at no1,

plugs 1&4 should fire together, and 2&4 together

#11 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

did not change anything. see other post

http://www.theminifo...-past-3000-rpm/

Interesting. I'd be looking at cam and crank sensor to see if they're actually plugged in/working. As well as lead orientation.

#12 rolesyboy

rolesyboy

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

Yes sensors will be my next stop. It bugs me that I haven't got the know how to test the components at an individual level and instead have to do this by a process of elimination and buy components 

#13 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

You cannot assemble the clutch any other way than the right way, that is unless you try very hard to make the parts fit the wrong way. Everything is dowelled, Keyed and orientated to prevent wrong installation.

The centre boss will only fit to the clutch outer one way, the holes only line up in one position. The clutch outer only fits to the flywheel one way as it is dowelled in two places only. The centre boss will only fit into the crank one way as the key slot is offset.

That however doesnt stop some people still installing the flywheel and key washer incorrectly such that the key is not even in the slot on the end of the crank!!!!...... that is not the fault of the parts lol

#14 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

You cannot assemble the clutch any other way than the right way, that is unless you try very hard to make the parts fit the wrong way. Everything is dowelled, Keyed and orientated to prevent wrong installation.

The centre boss will only fit to the clutch outer one way, the holes only line up in one position. The clutch outer only fits to the flywheel one way as it is dowelled in two places only. The centre boss will only fit into the crank one way as the key slot is offset.

That however doesnt stop some people still installing the flywheel and key washer incorrectly such that the key is not even in the slot on the end of the crank!!!!...... that is not the fault of the parts lol

Rob Walker showed me a how the boss can sit incorrectly on an MPi clutch cover. Showed me on mine too, which is why I took a photo before I took it all apart.

#15 rolesyboy

rolesyboy

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Thanks Sprocket and Steve. Steve is there any chance of you sharing the picture of your assembly. That would be really helpful. Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users