#1 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

HI all, 

I have been running a 998 lucas 59d distributor on my 1275 for a while now and its always bugged me knowing the advance will be wrong.

I have a 59D with a power spark / accuspark plate in it abut i'd like to change the advance springs. Has anybody done this?

Will these be okay and all i'll need?

http://www.ebay.co.u...30AAOSwiONYNt6h

Cheers Ryan.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

Have a look at the distributor you have for the serial number and what's done to your 1275 ?

I ask this because there is a fairly common series of 998 distributors that have a curve while not spot on, are quite OK in a stock 1275. Not all are like this though.

#3 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Im sure all internals are standard but I havent stripped it.

Its running a stage 2 maniflow LCB with works style from their back, with twin hs2s with ram pipes. Its a metro A+ 1275.

But Im also in the progress of building another 1275 which will be a canmy engine Ill need another curve again to suit.

Ryan

Edited by TehMarchant, 24 October 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

what are the numbers on the Dizzy?

#5 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

Well the number I can see on top is 41822 and it has kinda a merc logo before it. 

#6 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

I have been looking more into this and it seems like more importantly than the springs id need to change the mechanical advance cam as pictured to increase the total advance.

https://www.google.c...508942744092895

This is turning into a real headache without much help from google.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

The 41822 isn't suitable for a 1275. It advances too fast and has too much total advance. You need to change the stop (or fit a hard shim) as well as the springs to adjust this.

Really, unless you are being supplied a specific kit that will achieve a specific outcome (eg a Lucas 41768 Kit) and without a Distributor Dyno, anything else is a guess. You can do it 'in car' with a dial back timing light and loads of time, but is not an ideal way to check the effect of any modifications as there's so many more items in the drive train between the crank (where you would be measuring it) and the distributor.

If you are after a Distributor to suit a stock 1275 engine, Mini Spares have them complete ready to fit, they are actually right (unlike so many others I've tested) and I feel, very fairly priced.

When going to a modified engine, really, the engine needs to be run up on a dyno to see what curve is needed, though many companies like H&H or AC (on the forum) will get them close enough if they know exactly what your engine spec is.

#8 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

The 41822 isn't suitable for a 1275. It advances too fast and has too much total advance. You need to change the stop (or fit a hard shim) as well as the springs to adjust this.

Really, unless you are being supplied a specific kit that will achieve a specific outcome (eg a Lucas 41768 Kit) and without a Distributor Dyno, anything else is a guess. You can do it 'in car' with a dial back timing light and loads of time, but is not an ideal way to check the effect of any modifications as there's so many more items in the drive train between the crank (where you would be measuring it) and the distributor.

If you are after a Distributor to suit a stock 1275 engine, Mini Spares have them complete ready to fit, they are actually right (unlike so many others I've tested) and I feel, very fairly priced.

When going to a modified engine, really, the engine needs to be run up on a dyno to see what curve is needed, though many companies like H&H or AC (on the forum) will get them close enough if they know exactly what your engine spec is.

Thank for that atleast I know that it wont be any good. I have another dizzy a Lucas 65D the number 42535a its a electronic vac dizzy I believe the be from a 1275.

Will this be okay, or should I look at something else?

#9 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:52 PM

You are going about it the wrong way, you spring the dizzy to get the curve you need. That means you use any spring that gives you the advance you need. Firstly know the advance you need, secondly you need to spin the dizzy to measure the advance and then adjust to get it where you need it.

AC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users