16 replies to this topic

#1 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

Have these laws changed again? My understanding of it was that if you passed your test before 1997 then you could tow anything. After 1997 you needed to do some sort of assessment (a CBT style type thing).

However I have just looked on the government website, and it states this:

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

So if I am reading this correctly, anyone can tow a trailer up to 750kg without the need for an additional test?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

correct. that is how it always has been since they changed it. BUT it also depends on tow car. and this is all Plated weight not actual.

#3 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

and if ya minis after 1998 its a no again

#4 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:19 PM

As above, dependant on car and trailer plating. You may find that with newer cars as manufacturers strive to reduce weight to improve economy then even a large family car because of its relative light weight may not be permitted to tow a 750KG unbraked trailer so worth checking.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

like you cant tow a trailer weighing 250kg but plated at 1000kg.

got to love grand dad rules.

#6 robminibcy

robminibcy

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:41 PM

it's very confusing but im 99% sure this is how it is for drivers passing after 1997:

with a standard car B licence you can drive a vehicle with a max weight of 3500kg and tow a trailer of 750 kg (ie unbraked) or you drive a vehicle with a trailer over 750kg provided that the MAM (total weight that the outfit CAN legally weight according to the plates) does not exceed 3500kg so basically you could drive a medium sized family car with a max gross weight of 2000kg and then tow a caravan with a max plateed weight of 1500kg.

With B+E you can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg and tow a trailer up to 3500kg (total weight 7000kg). Also with this the weight is done on what it actually  weighs rather than the MAM so for example you use a VW golf weighing 1400kg to tow car transported plated to 3500kg that is empty or loaded up to the cars unladen weight legally where as this would be illegal with a B because the trailers MAM with the cars max weight would be over the 3500kg limit even though the actual weight is well within the license.

All very confusing and Ive towed a lot of largish trailers with a VW golf (although safely loaded and within the golfs tow weight) without even knowing it was illegal until last week! It seems mad that they base things on plated weight. Its like saying im giving you a speeding ticket because your car can do 130mph even though you were only doing 70!

Edited by robminibcy, 23 October 2017 - 10:53 PM.

#7 robminibcy

robminibcy

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:52 PM

you can,as this still gives you 2500kg worth of tow car to play with. the problem I finding trailers plated that low, caravans are usually ok but car transporters or flatbeds are usually too high to leave enough room for a decent tow car

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:55 PM

you can,as this still gives you 2500kg worth of tow car to play with. the problem I finding trailers plated that low, caravans are usually ok but car transporters or flatbeds are usually too high to leave enough room for a decent tow car

nope as it is it is over the 750kg you can tow without the supplements to your licence, it is plated weight not actual weight that must first be considered.

#9 robminibcy

robminibcy

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:01 PM

nope as it is it is over the 750kg you can tow without the supplements to your licence, it is plated weight not actual weight that must first be considered.

Yes totally get the plated weight thing (as of last week)! however the B licence states:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

Which means you can tow a trailer that is plated above 750kg (and therefore braked) provided that the max plated weight of the trailer and the gross weight of the tow vehicle is below 3500kg so you could tow a plated 1000kg trailer with a tow car that has a gross weight of 2500kg or less

Edited by robminibcy, 23 October 2017 - 11:02 PM.

#10 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Local Club: Vancouver Mini Club

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:37 AM

My Mini trailer weighs about 200 kgs loaded...no problem towing it with the Mini sedan or with a LWB (which has lower towing capacity than sedans).

Sorry can't load a photo of mini & trailer.

#11 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

Presumably though you could ask the trailer manufacturer to plate the trailer at a lower level, i.e. if its a 1500kg maximum rated trailer have it rated at 1000kg, obviously you then have to comply with the plated weight so even someone with an old licence couldn't put more than 1000kg on it but it would be ideal if you need a large trailer to tow a bulky but relatively light item?

I'm not sure if you could have a second hand trailer replated by the manufacturer? I know you can do this with cars and vans as one of my old neighbours had a van done, it was something to do with the low emission zone in London if I remember correctly.

#12 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

Presumably though you could ask the trailer manufacturer to plate the trailer at a lower level, i.e. if its a 1500kg maximum rated trailer have it rated at 1000kg, obviously you then have to comply with the plated weight so even someone with an old licence couldn't put more than 1000kg on it but it would be ideal if you need a large trailer to tow a bulky but relatively light item?

I'm not sure if you could have a second hand trailer replated by the manufacturer? I know you can do this with cars and vans as one of my old neighbours had a van done, it was something to do with the low emission zone in London if I remember correctly.

This is done in the horsey world so girls can tow a smallish trailer with a single pony inside with a smallish car even though the same trailer can be supplied and plated at say 2000kgs or more.

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

My trailer is 27 years old and doesn't have a plate.

#14 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

I presume you also passed your test before, ahem, 1997? :-)

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

Passed in 1960 😃.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users