#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

Article from the new Classics World website (Part of Kelsey Publishing)

"For a car that was Britain¹s best seller for most of it¹s twelve year production run, the BMC 1100 and 1300 are remarkably scarce with survivors being just a tiny fraction of the 2 million cars plus that were produced between 1962 and 1974.
Built in both Cowley and Longbridge, demand for the 1100 was so great that even after Longbridge started building the Austin version in late 1963, the Cowley plant had double shifts working to build enough cars."
Here’s 10 things you need to know about the BMC 1100/1300:-
http://classicsworld...t-bmc-11001300/

#2 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Mab,

Had 3 of these wonderful cars back in the day!

A MkI Austin 1100

A MkII Austin 1300GT

A MkII Austin 1300

I often find Myself on Ebay on a Friday evening after a few wines looking at these which come up for sale fairly often....I still love my Mini but still hanker after one of these.

Reckon the MkI was the orignal and best!!!

#3 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

Really fancy a GT, but that will have to wait until I get a Sunbeam Rapier H120 and a Volvo Amazon out of my system (when I can afford one of them :shy:

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thanks Mab,

Had 3 of these wonderful cars back in the day!

A MkI Austin 1100

A MkII Austin 1300GT

A MkII Austin 1300

I often find Myself on Ebay on a Friday evening after a few wines looking at these which come up for sale fairly often....I still love my Mini but still hanker after one of these.

Reckon the MkI was the orignal and best!!!

The Mk1 Mini Forum has a growing section especially for ADO16 - BMC1100/1300 enthusiasts:-

http://mk1-forum.net...wforum.php?f=28

#5 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:54 AM

In the coming months I will become the custodian of a 1964 1100 that belonged to my wifes, cousins, grandma! They did sell well here in Australia but information is a little thin on the ground so will be checking out the Mk1 forum link...

kk75kn8.jpg?1

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

Lots more info on the ADO16 here:-

BMC 1100/1300 development story

https://www.aronline...opment-history/

History of the ADO16

http://www.ado16.inf...6_history.shtml

and this is a great book on them:-

The Story of the BMC 1100

http://www.the1100cl...bookdetails.php

Edited by mab01uk, 25 October 2017 - 06:30 AM.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

The Ado16 range was really excellent. What a pity it was replaced by such a load of junk - The "All-agro" and the 'Mariner' (so called because it walloped like a badly loaded ship)!

#8 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:08 PM

Many years ago I used to share a 20 mile lift to work in a Mk1 Cortina with 4 other blokes. The 3 of us in the back suffered, jammed in shoulder to shoulder. The driver then announced he was getting a brand new Austin 1100. We back 3 feared we would be more cramped, but no, we were amazed to find there was more space, and the ride was a delight compared to the old car.

Years later I had my own 1300 which I loved but by God did it rust. I had it several years only because I lived a few hundred yards from a very good welding workshop.

After that I had a Maxi which I loved but my soon to be ex hated, so it was replaced by a Marina. Now I know people on here have it in for the Marina but I loved it. I did replace the dampers which calmed it down well, and I was past my raceboy years. It's faults were outweighed by being so absolutely ridiculously easy to maintain. That was replaced by an All-agro, which despite looking good, rust free, sounded well, very soon turned into a leaky oil burner. Then followed several company cars, of various manufacture, my favourite which was an MPI Mini which we took to the Finland IMM and the North Cape.

The packaging, ride and road holding of my 1300 will always be a winner to me although my Minis win on fun factor.

#9 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

In the coming months I will become the custodian of a 1964 1100 that belonged to my wifes, cousins, grandma! They did sell well here in Australia but information is a little thin on the ground so will be checking out the Mk1 forum link...

kk75kn8.jpg?1

That looks pretty solid......hope you enjoy owning it!

Cheers, Steve

#10 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

That looks pretty solid......hope you enjoy owning it!

Cheers, Steve

Hasn't been registered in 17 years and not really driven for many years before that. Body is great and have been told it is clean underneath (I hope). We don't salt our roads here.  Will be good to see it sitting there next to my mini!

#11 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

No salt on the roads will certainly help!

Our rainy weather and salted roads were a perfect recipe to make these cars rust. I remember going over a hump-backed in my ‘64 Austin 1100 a little too fast and the front mounts of the rear subframe came away from the car bodywork because of rust!!!

Cheers, Steve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users