Photo
- - - - -

Wont Start - Rover Mini 1300I Mayfair

engine electrical

Best Answer richmondclassicsnorthwales , 26 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

Hi,

Well, you only need 3 fundamental items for the Mini to run, fuel, air and a spark

Have you knocked the relay on the left hand side (looking into the engine bay from the front). Seem to remember this has a few brown ignition wires on it.

Not too up on the newer Mini, but that bloody immobiliser was a pain on my 96. If you have only messed with the wiper rack, then it has to be something in that area, even a single wire. As well, you have the fuel cut out switch on the bulk head, have you knocked this, again, check the wiring.

A few pointers,  but good luck

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PeteK

PeteK

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hello all,

My Rover Mini 1996 wont fire. The fan belt turns when I turn the key, it's making all the right noises, but the engine wont fire.

I had recently replaced the windscreen wiper cable (both ends - more detailed explanation below) and straight afterwards the engine wouldn't start.

I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box (there are about 20 in there), the lights still work, the immobiliser light is still on, the radio still works, and the windscreen wipers work. I tried to check if there was current going to the spark plugs by pushing a spanner into the rubber surround and looking for sparks when I turned the key but I couldn't see any.

Is there an electrical fault I may have created? If so, where should I look? If not, what else can I investigate?

[The windscreen wiper cable had rusted at both ends, so I removed the plastic connector to the wiper motor and cut the other cable from under the windscreen, bared the cables, attached them to a choc box and replaced the two plastic connectors with new ones. The posi-screws holding the motor in have rusted and I cannot undo them, so I have been unable to reattach the plastic connector to the wiper motor - the cables have been reconnected though.]

Thanks for any help!

#2 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:17 PM   Best Answer

Hi,

Well, you only need 3 fundamental items for the Mini to run, fuel, air and a spark

Have you knocked the relay on the left hand side (looking into the engine bay from the front). Seem to remember this has a few brown ignition wires on it.

Not too up on the newer Mini, but that bloody immobiliser was a pain on my 96. If you have only messed with the wiper rack, then it has to be something in that area, even a single wire. As well, you have the fuel cut out switch on the bulk head, have you knocked this, again, check the wiring.

A few pointers,  but good luck

#3 PeteK

PeteK

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thank you, I pressed the rubbery top part of the fuel cut-out switch and it clicked - perhaps it had been triggered? I tried starting it but the battery has no juice and I will try jumping it tomorrow morning and let you know.

Photo 1 - the old cables    https://drive.google...UFZ3Mi0zVnNVSFU

Photo 2 - the new cables    https://drive.google...ZFZNTUVCWkhObTA

Photo 3 - the fuel cut-out switch that I pressed    https://drive.google...a3RCYmdJMTBLSzg

#4 PeteK

PeteK

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Yes! By pushing the fuel cut-out switch it blasted into action. I'm thrilled!

It seems like quite a delicate trigger, as when I was screwing the wiper motor back in the switch came back out. Something to watch out for, I guess.

#5 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

It is rather sensitive. I've triggered mine going over pot holes before.

#6 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Glad to help !

#7 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:09 AM

you should solder the wires and put heat shrink over them to stop moisture getting in or cover with self amalgamating tape

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users