23 replies to this topic

#1 James1997

James1997

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

As we all know winter is upon us this is my second winter with my mini and I wondered if there is anyway to improve my windscreen demisters , Im not sure if there is an upgrade I can do to the heater or something like that anyone have any ideas or experience or is it just sit there with a cloth and the demisters on ???

Thanks in advance :)

Austin Mini Mayfair 1989 1.0 L

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

first thing is to make sure the hoses are fitted correctly and are not leaking.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Firstly check condition/connection of existing hoses as Nick says - i tend to use gaffer tape to hold the hoses on and seal the ends.

Also check that the heater matrix is not blocked.
Also check for wet carpets - if the car is wet inside the condensation will always be much worse.

In terms of upgrades - a change to the later twin speed heater with the larger diameter air hoses is good, but the aftermarket heater from Minispares may be better (and easier/cheaper):

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#4 James1997

James1997

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Hoses are all good and sealed I might gaffer tape the on to seal the better like you said , I wouldn’t know where to check to see if the heater is blocked carpets are dry and in terms off upgrades that might be worth doing when I get a bit of money together. How would I check to see if the heater is blocked. Cheers for the help

#5 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

If you're thinking of an upgrade, why not look at a heated windscreen? http://www.heatedwin...windscreen.html

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,407 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

A few things,

The Mini heater is plenty big enough, what you're lacking is volume and ventilation to keep the humidity under control. Being a Mini, there's a decent chance your breath isn't the only source of water vapour.

Look at where air is entering the heater, if the ducting through to behind the grille is dubious it could be sucking in the moisture from damp foot mats or wheel spray under the wing. Later cars also have the under wing ducting lined with foam, aka sponge, to reduce noise.

As above, the windscreen vents are pants. Worst is the fit to the dash rail, stick them to it to ensure the air goes to the screen and not the space behind the bulkhead. Tape up all the joins, aluminium ducting tape is great stuff. 

Service the heater, flush out the matrix and check it's not leaking. Vac out the air vanes. Use draft excluder products to ensure air goes through the matrix and not around it in the heater casing. Also that the heater flap if effective at stopping air going past it when it's in the demist position. Be thankful it's so easy to get the heater out of a Mini to do this  :-)

If you're still driving a mobile sauna a heated windscreen is the way to go.

#7 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

Ethel is absolutely right. I recently overhauled my heater as part of a total restoration and it has made a huge difference. The heater is easy to remove and take apart and the flimsy foam sheet around the matrix allows the air to leak like a sieve. I replaced all the foam with 5mm self adhesive closed sell foam and sealed every orifice. Later cars have larger bore demister pipes and "Y" pieces and although I have fitted these, they didn't make too much difference. I also reconditioned the motor and replaced the single speed with a variable speed PWM controller.

All in all better than when it left the factory.

#8 James1997

James1997

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

Cheers Ethel for all the help and advice looks like Im going to be refiting bits and sealing them properly and cleaning evrything out , I never thought of draft excluders and Im guessing its a pretty simple job to take the heater box apart? Is there anything I need to watch for or can I just pull the casing off ?? And northern power I did consider a windscreen. Not sure about it tho think Ill give redoing al the pipes and bits first cheers guys.

#9 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

I think Mini magazine or Mini World did a picture by picture break down on a heater in the last couple of issues

#10 James1997

James1997

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

Do you know what issue it was by any chance ?

#11 James1997

James1997

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

He heater box has 3 plastic pipes and two rubber pipes going into it by disconnecting all the pipes I should then be able to remove the box will I get any water or anything coming out of the rubber pipes ?

#12 James1997

James1997

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

He heater box has 3 plastic pipes and two rubber pipes going into it by disconnecting all the pipes I should then be able to remove the box will I get any water or anything coming out of the rubber pipes ?

#13 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

Yes (or at least you should do!) - you will need a washing up bowl or similar to catch it

#14 James1997

James1997

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

Okay no probs cheers , Ive noticed when I change from car to screen the heater flap dosnt seal very well and Ive noticed when I cover the gaps with my hands that the air coming from the vents is much more powerful and efficient any body got any ideas on how to seal it better and stop air leaking around the flap ?

#15 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

It was mini magazine October issue, has a bronze clubman on the front cover

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users