22 replies to this topic

#1 juchong

juchong

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:53 PM

Hi everyone! I just reworked my 998cc Mini and am stumped because I cant figure out what this noise is. Its a 1984 Saloon. I installed a stage 2 kit by MiniSport, meaning I replaced the head, valves, rockers, exhaust, carb spring/needle, etc. Ive verified timing isnt out of whack and I gapped the rockers to 0.015. No strange smells or smoke. Any ideas? Idle seems fine. https://youtu.be/G4joixkRhOI

Edited by juchong, 04 November 2017 - 12:04 AM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

sounds like it is missing badly.

check compression. then everything else.

#3 juchong

juchong

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:25 AM

sounds like it is missing badly.

check compression. then everything else.

Will-do tomorrow. 

Just to double-check, should the rocker gap be 15thou with a 1:5:1 rocker?

#4 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:06 AM

There's an old saying - noisy tappets are happy tappets.

Difficult to make out the noise on your video.

What head did you install? If a big bore head then valves could be kissing the pistons or the block  :ohno:

Edited by Rorf, 04 November 2017 - 05:15 AM.

#5 juchong

juchong

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:25 AM

There's an old saying - noisy tappets are happy tappets.

Difficult to make out the noise on your video.

What head did you install? If a big bore head then valves could be kissing the pistons or the block  :ohno:

That would be scary. I installed this kit: https://usa.minispor...8-hs4-carb.html

Judging by the SKU in the invoice, it's actually this head: https://usa.minispor...inder-head.html

#6 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

sounds like its missing got ht leads on right order? faulty plug?

#7 juchong

juchong

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

sounds like its missing got ht leads on right order? faulty plug?

The plug in cylinder 2 came out covered in oil, so I'm thinking bad seal around the cylinder or bad ring. Going out to get a compression tester now. 

#8 juchong

juchong

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:11 AM

Compression is at 120psi +/- 2psi at each cylinder, so it looks good. Checking on the distributor now. Any other ideas?

#9 juchong

juchong

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

A few other things I found:

The person that I bought the mini from had wired up the engine opposite of what the distributor is designed to do (1-4-3-2 instead of the correct 1-3-4-2). I marked my plugs based on location, but never checked at the cap.

I adjusted the rockers slightly, but all were still really close.

Cylinder 2 is full of oil, but passes a compression test... so, bad head gasket?

The car now idles nicer than it has ever idled, and doesnt stutter when you open the throttle. I just have to tackle the giant cloud of smoke.

Edited by juchong, 07 November 2017 - 05:25 AM.

#10 Wim Fournier

Wim Fournier

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

Firing order has to be 1-3-4-2

A lot of smoke says that the rubber rings that sit around the valve stems just beneeth the valve springs are missing or hardenedn that much, that they don't keep the oil from going down the valve stems to the inlet and exhaust valves themselves. So, when inlet valve opens oil is entering the burning room and that gives blue smoke. And oil that is coming to the exhaust valve is burnt immediately when the exhaust valve opens and gives black smoke.

The oil that you found inside the burning room of some cilinders is there because it did not burn, because the plug didn't give a spark at the right moment, because you connected the high tension leads wrongly (1-3-2-4 in stead of 1-3-4-2)

#11 juchong

juchong

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

Quick update: I found coolant in cylinder 3. I've pulled the head back off, checked for flatness, cleaned off any bits of old gasket, and put everything back together. Even after making sure that the head and block are both clean, I still have coolant dripping in cylinder 3. I found that the spark plug in that cylinder is pretty gummed up, so my question is now whether a bad spark plug could've caused the leak. Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

#12 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:47 AM

Quick update: I found coolant in cylinder 3. I've pulled the head back off, checked for flatness, cleaned off any bits of old gasket, and put everything back together. Even after making sure that the head and block are both clean, I still have coolant dripping in cylinder 3. I found that the spark plug in that cylinder is pretty gummed up, so my question is now whether a bad spark plug could've caused the leak. Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

No it couldn't have. If it is coolant hopefully you still have a head gasket issue. Are you sure it is coolant and not oil.

#13 juchong

juchong

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Its definitely coolant, unfortunately. This is the 2nd time that cylinder has had issues, but I couldnt find anything wrong with the head or block. Is there anything I can do to help fix this?

#14 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

I'd be checking for a fine crack

What head gasket did you fit? (And you did fit a new one earlier today? Silly question I know .. but .. )

#15 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:54 PM

Heads going to have to come off again by sounds of it. Hopefully just got unlucky with a duff gasket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users