Photo
- - - - -

Engine Tuning - 1275 A Series With Stage 2 Head.

Best Answer happydude2012 , 08 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

sounds like the battery is on the way out as well.

what makes you say that nick?

what you say about the indicators etc. used to run 4 spots and 2 fogs with standard alternator and battery and never had issues. get the battery drop tested.

will do - thanks for the tip! just a quick update - fitted the new alternator, plugs, leads according to rrws diagram and the throttle cable - took her for a spin and she runs like clockwork.  thanks again lads, awesome help!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hi Everyone.

Had a 1991 mini neon for a  few years now and although its got its rust and oilyness its been absolutely solid - never failed to start, never broken down.

Had the engine rebuilt 2 years ago with the addition of a swiftune sw5 duplex cam kit and stage 2 head - no mechanical issues to report - its a good solid motor.

However.

Its time for a bit of a general spruce up both under and outside the bonnet - so ill be battering you experts with questions (apologies in advance)

Ive got a few questions to start off - and please bare in mind, although im quite practical generally, youll have to explain mini things to me like a moron because im no expert - I rate myself thus.

1) Practical skill - Generally handy and pragmatic, minimum/ basic skill/tech with cars.

2) Car electrics - more chance of shagging the queen - not a clue.

ENGINE BAY:

1) LEADS ISSUE:

Recently upgraded my HT leads to 8mm accuspark performance, the old ones have had their day - noticed that in 4th giving it some welly, the engine splutters and coughs and generally performs like a bag of nails, almost stalling.- any ideas? This started on changing the leads. - have i broked it? I noted from an aldon rolling road test a few years ago, my old coil lead was 7mm.

2) FUEL: The engine is 1275 with a few solid high spec bits in it and nice k&n airfilters - single SU carb (i think), nothing too mega, but it gets through the petrol like its drinking it for fun and it seems to be getting worse - i did some rough calcs and i think im getting about the same MPG as my mates rangerover - about 22 mpg. which is toss.

Im reluctant to book in at Aldon to have any tuning done as although they are great, its a fortune and i cant afford it. Basically it needs a good tune up.

Any suggestions? id like to tune it myself and learn but i havent got a clue - the only youtube stuff on tuning is american and not explained well. (im a hands on and watching learner  - not diagrams)

I have electronic ignition by the way.

2) What can i use to clean my engine block without putting a pressure hose in with my moisture magnet electrics and exploding everything?

COCKPIT:

1) Dials & guages: 

A rolling road test a couple of years ago at Aldon revealed i was 10 mph low at true 70 on my speedo - which would explain why i got a couple of speeding tickets doing "30" in a 30.

Couldnt afford to pay someone to sort it so marked the gauge correctly with a pen on the rollers and changed the clock with some stickers - say what you will, but it worked at the time.

While that worked fine at the time, id like to rectify this properly.

I have a bare metal dash (long story) with no trim, just a plywood backing which my speedo unit is screwed to and the 4 switches and choke/ heater pulls are fed through - its crap, and im getting a bottom rail to sit those switchy bits in but I want to replace the old double dial cowell ive got for new a new speedo and fuel/temp guage.

Apparently, minisport tell me this means a proper re-wiring job as the old co-ax style speedo cable and rectuangular plug in circuit board thing set up is lost to time and is obsolete.

Ill need a speedo, fuel/temp and indicator light set up - can anyone advise? also this speedo will have to be relevant to my gearbox/wheel size so the bloody thing reads right.

cant seem to find any mini electrics guys in the kidderminster/stourbridge (ish) area? any helpers?

thanks in advance chaps, really need some plain, friendly and helpful guidance here.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

so when it was at Aldon it ran well. now you have changed a few things it does not.#

what exacly have you changed. ignition leads dont count unless they are faulty or you have fitted them incorrectly.

so what else have you changed)adjusted?

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

Although it Sounds like the coil may be starting to break down I'd suggest a few simple checks

Clean the small terminals on the coil
Check the firing order

Edited by cal844, 05 November 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#4 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:52 PM

Cleaning the block. I'd go for Jizer and a pile of brushes and rags/paper towels ... not kitchen roll, the blue stuff you buy in halfords. Then lots of scrubbing and clean off with water applied with a brush or spray bottle (garden centres).

Make sure the distributor is sealed ... an old rubber glove would work and has been used by many to make it waterproof in the past.

#5 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

thanks guys - all points taken,

Nicklouse: The only thing i changed since aldon was the leads - this was today but bare in  mind were talking 2 years ago so maybe im due a proper tune up?

I have ordered new spark plugs and im considering a new coil - have been looking at accuspark as they do complete kits.

Cal - how do i go about checking the firing order? 

gazza - thanks, i thought some careful elbow grease was in order.

thanks again for your guidance.

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

The order is 4321(one being radiator end of engine)

42 on dizzy

#7 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

When was the last time your valve clearances were set? Do you have a fuel filter? And when was the last time you gave your air filter a look? If it's a standard one, it will be very dirty after 2 years and will need to be changed. If it's a K&N or similar then it WILL need a clean. It is possible that your engine may be choking up.

#8 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

What colour are the plugs?

Are black and sooty?

It sounds like it's running super rich which may be causing damage.

#9 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

The firing order is as shown below (1,3,4,2) Just check that the plug leads from each cylinder spark plug go to their respective positions on the distributor. Pretty unlikely  that the engine is going to run even reasonably well if they are in the wrong position.8c6a68510439e3f6d02f9446edf9b04b3516becf

#10 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

Are black and sooty?

The plugs actually arent black at all - almost have a sort of very light calcium deposit on, like a grey colour

#11 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Are black and sooty?

The plugs actually arent black at all - almost have a sort of very light calcium deposit on, like a grey colour

Is there a fuel leak?

#12 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:19 PM

Are black and sooty?

Is there a fuel leak?

thats an interesting take - i dont think theres a fuel leak, ive certainly not noticed one - where might i look?  but the light color on the plugs i understand may mean its running too lean? 

#13 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:39 PM

UPDATE:

Plugs: Appear to be "optimal" according to a nice pretty chart i found. - not sooty or light and calcified as i thought, somewhere in  the middle - however, new NGK plugs arrived today so ill take the oldies out again tomorrow and have a good look again.

Fuel leak: doesnt appear to have a fuel leak - if anyone has any tips on checking and where to check, love to hear from you.

Alternator: New high output one arrived for me to fit - side note that after i had some halogen spots fitted a few years ago, i noticed a slowing on my indicators and general naff output all round - may help i think - relays are all sound.

Ignition: New accuspark coil arrived to go with the 8mm leads - i think the old coil is a bit shafted, it was on the car when i got it and has no identifiable markings on - due a change i think i owe it to the old girl anyway.

Firning order: Will use your diagram rww, thankyou for that, and will check my set up against it.

Timing: Having the timing looked at thursday by a chap who knows what hes doing - out of interest guys, do you need a rolling road tune up or is the old timing gun method ok? 

AIR FILTERS: the k&N air filter and breathers are still ok according to the k&n reccomendations, the mesh is clearly visible and clean(ish) 

just to say, thankyou everyone for your support  - ill continue to annoy you all with daft questions im sure but a big thanks to everyone who is helping me. Its nice to see there are genuinely interested support folks out there and not just the sarky know alls that lurk in the shadows. : 

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:49 AM

#15 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

what makes you say that nick?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users