#1 dannylee80

dannylee80

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

HiHi

Thought it is good time to start my own thread here now after a long time lurking.  First though a big thanks to all the posters on here, peoples experience and knowledge sharing is awesome and helped a lot even at this early stage.

little about me before the project.  this will be my second mini but been 20 years since my first and then i didnt do anything like this, just small fixes.

i have never taken on a project and i do not know how to do any body work.  I have a little advantage in that i'm a industrial mechanic by trade so i'm comfortable with the undertaking.  I do travel with work for over 200 days each year so this is a minimum of a 5 year project.  its a hobby so there is no time restraints. and to a level want to spend enough on the car to make sure i have a good example for the future.

So this is my Mini,  98 Rover 1.3 MPI.  I bought it blind (big mistake) from Northern Norway and had it transported down to Bergen, i drove it home for 30 km where death was only another corner away.  

The idea was a project and i was told that only a little bit of fixing was required, new wings and few of the usual bits, lets just say that what I was told was pretty much a outright lie. But never mind that, it will just keep me busier for longer.

Attached File  IMG_1075.JPG   65.7K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1076.JPG   60.7K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1078.JPG   54.8K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1081.JPG   76.38K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1082.JPG   70.08K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1084.JPG   66.11K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1184.JPG   79.42K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1185.JPG   61.08K   0 downloads

gonna take a little bit of time to get all the progress so far up here but will work on it while I can.

stay classy

danny

Edited by dannylee80, 06 November 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#2 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

looks like a good project!

Somethings to remember:

Save the body panel number from the slam panel (just in front of the radiator) and also the VIN number stamped into the gutter on the scuttle

Don't throw anything away! You'll be surprised how many simple parts aren't available anymore

#3 dannylee80

dannylee80

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

thanks james,  i got the serial number plate already removed from the inner wing, i'll be surprised to find the number on the scuttle the previous owner \ butcher has really gone to town with the bodges on this mini.  i'll keep uploading photos and progress and you'll see.  thanks for the message and view.

danny

#4 dannylee80

dannylee80

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

So it begins with the strip down, lifted the carpets to this little surprise.  

Attached File  IMG_1092.JPG   74.51K   0 downloads

ok thats fine, add to list 1 new front floor 

Attached File  IMG_1093.JPG   78.44K   1 downloads

better make that 2 new front floor.

Attached File  IMG_1322.JPG   65.19K   2 downloads

the arches just kinda fell off.  little surprised they didnt blow off in the wind.  

cars up on axle stands while i strip the engine ready for removal.

i wanted to take time with the engine to learn now to do the job for when i need to remove the engine after the resto is completed.

i labeled every connection on the wire harness and took detailed pictures of every part, every individual part is bagged and labeled even the scrap.

Attached File  IMG_1080.JPG   79.31K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1252.JPG   61.48K   1 downloads

lots of people reported issues with the selector pin so i attacked it with a you are not giving me issues attitude and hammer...2 minutes and it was out.

Attached File  IMG_1611.JPG   67.74K   0 downloads

forgot to take pictures as i removed the engine.  i managed to borrow a 1 ton chain block,  attached that to the roof of the garage and lifted the engine clear.

danny

Edited by dannylee80, 06 November 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#5 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

If you are interested I have remade the foam that goes on the inner sills under the carpet and also behind the fuel tank if you damage yours getting them off...

#6 dannylee80

dannylee80

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:55 AM

awesome thanks,  ive actually been looking at sound proofing, not sure which route im taking with that yet.  was maybe thinking the dynomat option.  will see. but thanks i'll keep that in mind

#7 dannylee80

dannylee80

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

i got a date with a local blaster so got my finger out to strip the subframes.

front sub removed.  looks ok at first glance.  think its salvagable

Attached File  DSCN0283.jpg   59.84K   0 downloads

not sure why the left and right tie rod bars are different, and slightly different lengths.  i checked the spares catalog and these should be the same

Attached File  DSCN0298.jpg   78.5K   0 downloads

Attached File  DSCN0299.jpg   57.67K   0 downloads

add to to buy list

Attached File  DSCN0301.jpg   75.26K   0 downloads

add also to buy list.  the rear was not salvageable big holes in the plates, if it comes to it i will buy the repair panels, get it blasted and then see, but i might have a used one lined up.  not sure yet

Attached File  DSCN0302.jpg   59.89K   0 downloads

broken bolt in sub frame mount.  going to need a good vice and hammer to get that out.

Attached File  DSCN0310.jpg   62.27K   0 downloads

radius arms stripped and to be blasted.  new overhaul kit required.  

Attached File  DSCN0317.jpg   83.12K   0 downloads

found these gems in the sub frame.  logged a separate thread on this and got some great answers. having it welding up as we speak.  

Attached File  IMG_2377.jpg   110.02K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2378.jpg   115.49K   0 downloads

#8 dannylee80

dannylee80

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

Took the subframe to the blasters as well as the radius arms..  while i was there i took the boot both doors and bonnet.  cant wait to get them back and see, subframe will be powder coated.  I know there is always much discussion about how to protect the subframes and i believe that if your method has worked for you then great.  All ours cars are being driven in different environments and for different purposes, being in Norway Bergen with the rain, rust is a big thing for me and the guy doing it for me has many years experience with rust protection for the Norwegian environment.  i'm going to trust him.   

Took the subframe to the blasters as well as the radius arms..  while i was there i took the boot both doors and bonnet.  cant wait to get them back and see, subframe will be powder coated.  I know there is always much discussion about how to protect the subframes and i believe that if your method has worked for you then great.  All ours cars are being driven in different environments and for different purposes, being in Norway Bergen with the rain, rust is a big thing for me and the guy doing it for me has many years experience with rust protection for the Norwegian environment.  i'm going to trust him.   

#9 djupevik

djupevik

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Looking good mate! You will not run out of work in the near future, but as you said it is a hobby so no rush!  :gimme:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users