89 replies to this topic

#31 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

Quick report him the the do good police. Get the man arrested and locked away for ever, with no chance of parole.

That will teach him for trying to make a living.

#32 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

Quick report him the the do good police. Get the man arrested and locked away for ever, with no chance of parole.

don't rock the boat type of thing ???? well those that are not in the boat don't need to worry about it rocking !!! so we rock away

#33 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:47 PM

don't see a moral issue with what he's doing, if he can get some one to pay that price then fair play to him!  I know technically it's illegal however i don't see in this particular case how it would fuel thefts. As a general rule I do disagree with swapping chassis numbers around to pass something of as something it isn't like all these 90s tax exempt cars you see! However if you are using a like for like shell to replace a rotted shell (legalities aside) I don't see how it's any different to replacing suspension parts or engines it's still a component of a car and theres no way anyone would be able to tell unless you told them.

Edited by robminibcy, 07 November 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#34 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

don't rock the boat type of thing ???? well those that are not in the boat don't need to worry about it rocking !!! so we rock away

All you can do is keep your own car locked down to avoid it donating its parts to to keep an 'important race car' on the track.

There's not a lot anyone can do about the shell refurb guy and to be honest I can see why people aren't bothered as these will probably just go to people who can't be bothered or haven't the skills to repair their own rather than anyone pinching a car.

The more worrying thing is the same people complaining here are the ones complaining even when its a clear cut ringer possibly with someones pride and joy as the donor to an ebay v5 that these people also condone, I've got a mental list of people I wouldn't deal with on principal based on previous threads.

#35 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

Actually, you can report it and eBay may remove it, if they agree that he's breaking their terms and conditions by encouraging or facilitating illegal activity. 

#36 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

They don't do anything about stuff that's clearly illegal so I can't see them doing much, all these shells could be used for racing only, they won't but they 'could'.

#37 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

This will always be a contentious issue. The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) have been advocating legalising re-shelling for quite a while now and whilst it is still technically illegal it is widely practiced in classic car restorations.

One must draw the line between car theft for financial gain, and the keeping of historic and classic cars on the road. Whilst the former is totally unacceptable, the latter has its merits as the FBHVC has recognised.

If I wanted to break the law by stealing and then making a profit from it I most certainly would not be basing it on a classic Mini. I would go for far more expensive cars like Porsches, Jaguars, Mercs, etc., since their value in parts with no major labour involved would be huge (so long as you don't get caught). A used gearbox for my BMW would sell for around £2000 by itself with things like doors, wheels, trim and rear axle fetching a lot more. Then there are all the ancilliaries. Look at the ebay ads for parts for expensive modern cars and you'll see what I mean. 

This shell for sale at £7000 will have little profit in it after restoration and painting. Why would anyone risk going in the nick for maybe £2k profit with the shell so openly advertised if it was a stolen one. It makes no sense.

We need to be vigilant, but not paranoid. The shell is simply a part number in the BMC parts list. But then, I was around when re-shelling was done a lot as the car was a relatively new model and not a valuable classic. An apprentice who was working for me in 1968 rolled his Mk.1 850 and I managed to find him a Mk.2 shell the same colour with just rear end damage. We bought it and another friend with a body shop repaired the rear end and the Mk.1 became a Mk.1 in a Mk.2 shell. No one cared back then.

#38 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

at no time did i suggest the shell was stolen. and in fact i don't care.

i certainly wont be reporting anyone to e-bay... again, i don't care 

but fun topic anyway :D

Edited by THE ANORAK, 07 November 2017 - 11:01 PM.

#39 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:06 PM

whats the difference of them and the DB remastered mini @ £100,000

#40 Broomer

Broomer

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:26 AM

at no time did i suggest the shell was stolen. and in fact i don't care.

i certainly wont be reporting anyone to e-bay... again, i don't care 

but fun topic anyway :D

Dont be like that anorak, it's about time people appreciate your eagle eye detective work.
Not all hero's wear capes.

#41 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

There's still no 'technically' about reshelling, lol.

These cars left longbridge with a vin number there's no need to change them.

#42 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

Well this has been lively  :teehee:

Legality? He would be transferring "cars" to new keepers, or scrapping them, so he ought to be informing DVSA, by law - We don't know he isn't, but it looks like it could be a bit of a shock for his first customer when he asks for the V5 with the exchange shell. He, and his customers, would also do well to  get familiar with the Misrepresentation Act.

I'm not sure I'd want a car with questionable discrepancies over its year of manufacture with rolling tax and MoT exemptions getting closer by the year - and creating more interest in such matters, including the DVSA's.

The only bit of your car that needs to be original is the "chassis". You can have a total "Trigger's Broom, as long as enough of the, points system listed, parts are the same pattern as the originals. You wouldn't even need the original chassis but, as most seem to be aware, only a brand new heritage shell can be used to rebody your Mini and keep its V5 identity.

Price aside, why doesn't he just offer a restoration service or restore complete cars to sell on?

#43 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

Chicken and egg too, where did he get the first rotten shell to repair and where's that ones vin and V5c gone?

I know it's wrong but I'm gonna piss myself the day one of our resident ringer fans have their own car nicked, lol.

#44 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

Indeed,

That would be another, more sensible, business model. It's worked for the kit car industry, buy his shell, with V5. Find yourself a dead Mini (preferably same age & model) as a parts donor, cash in the stripped shell and V5 with him. You'd be the cost of an IVA up on a kit car or unregistered Mini body shell and still inline for road tax exemption.

#45 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

don't see a moral issue with what he's doing, 

What if the shell he's selling there was from a stolen car??

In fact if you have stolen a car then selling the shell on for over £7000 makes a stupid amount of money for each car you nick.

Nothing in the listing to suggest seller is doing anything illegal here. Of course there are the obvious illegal activities that the buyer could get up to as poimted out - but I don't see how eBay could legitimatly take this listing down, nor do I see why anyone would pay that money for it!

Is tampering with VIN tags not illegal?

Edited by r3k1355, 08 November 2017 - 01:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users