Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

A BIG if...

If there is theft involved the shell's identity is most likely to be on the stolen car, hence it not being available.

We don't know if the VIN has been removed, but it can be innocently cut off with rusty panels.

#47 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

We don't know if the VIN has been removed, but it can be innocently cut off with rusty panels.

Thats still removing the VIN???

I can't see any trace of a VIN plate in the pictures and the advert makes no mention of them being provided with the shell.

#48 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

A BIG if...

If there is theft involved the shell's identity is most likely to be on the stolen car, hence it not being available.

I think the idea is that you reattach the vin to the same car after repairing it rather than putting the vin on an already good car that has it's own vin or use a heritage shell with a vat receipt and take plenty of photos.

These can't be used on the road legally without a Q plate even with the original vin as it hasn't got enough points to retain the reg. Top and bottom, no ifs and no buts.

#49 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

I'd have to disagree with the last bit. Plenty of Minis will be knocking about on replacement rear subframes, with engines and gearboxes from scrapped Metros etc. Their owners may well have no idea, nor can anyone else say, as there's no requirement to keep records beyond the numbers on the V5.

You can also obtain a brand new registration using a secondhand engine block in your home built car.

I agree about what's required with the vin plate, but the number may still be stamped in elsewhere and you're not required to use the original plate as long as you have one.

#50 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

at no time did i suggest the shell was stolen. and in fact i don't care.

i certainly wont be reporting anyone to e-bay... again, i don't care 

but fun topic anyway :D

Dont be like that anorak, it's about time people appreciate your eagle eye detective work.
Not all hero's wear capes.

what i meant was, i didnt post it up to start some kind of crusade against them or anyone, i just thought it would make a good post :mrcool:

#51 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

and i never did get a reply to the message i sent them about the legal side !!!!!????

Edited by THE ANORAK, 08 November 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#52 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

I'd have to disagree with the last bit. Plenty of Minis will be knocking about on replacement rear subframes, with engines and gearboxes from scrapped Metros etc. Their owners may well have no idea, nor can anyone else say, as there's no requirement to keep records beyond the numbers on the V5.

You can also obtain a brand new registration using a secondhand engine block in your home built car.

I agree about what's required with the vin plate, but the number may still be stamped in elsewhere and you're not required to use the original plate as long as you have one.

I agree but that doesn't alter the legal position, 5 points for the shell isn't the minimum 8 regardless, there's no disagreeing to be done.

#53 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

oh no don't mentioning the points system. i think the only original things on my car are the oil and water gauges and the steering centre cap!

#54 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

If I bought a Heritage shell, complete with doors, bonnet and bootlid - does that come with its own VIN and V5....?

#55 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

If I bought a Heritage shell, complete with doors, bonnet and bootlid - does that come with its own VIN and V5....?

No.

#56 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

Nope but it comes with proof of ownership and the 5 points required which added to your engine (1 point) and gearbox (2 points) you have the required 8 points and a perfectly legal car even if you fit new subframes and steering rack.

#57 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

A heritage shell is a new, unused and legal spare part.

The shell in the add is none of the above.

#58 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

I feel there are a lot of conclusions being jumped to here with regards to the shell being stolen

Wherever the shell came from, we all know that it will be built with a donor that has a rotten shell and will have the donor's ID swapped over to it whether that is legal or not.

I don't suppose many people even realise it is illegal or care for that matter. why should they when it will most likely be built in a private garage at home where nobody will ever know what has taken place or again, even care.

I find it a bit strange that he is asking for an exchange shell but does not specify if the shell has to be in a certain condition i.e not completely rotten beyond repair.

I very much doubt that this shell will come with a V5, it clearly says that it is taken from a 90's car. If i.d was supplied then it would say this shell is a 1991 Mayfair for example.

I would say the biggest problem the seller has is finding someone to pay that price but then against a new heritage shell, it would be quite tempting for someone that perhaps only sees a shiny coat of paint and no rusty holes.

The cost in having a heritage shell prepared, sealed and painted is substantial and in comparison would cost a huge amount more.

I certainly wouldn't buy one of his shells and there are many i suppose who would feel the same but I bet there are plenty who would.

#59 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

Feck me!!

£7000 for that!!

I'd be tempted to take the flack and knock a few out myself for that much!!!!

#60 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

I don't think you can use the swapping vin plates fuels theft in THIS case. I highly doubt criminals are going to restore the shells of cars they nick (possibly even to customer specification). I stand by the fact that i don't think the seller is breaking the law, he's not trying to pass something of as something it isn't, there's no reason why an owner couldn't q plate it and it doesn't say anywhere it doesn't come with vin now.(though i suspect it doesn't!!!). If an owner decides to put his/her plates on it that's their risk not the sellers. Selling guns undoubtly fuels murders but gun shop owners do t get reported and locked up do they? to use the argument of the shell could be stolen is rubbish as you could say the same thing for every other time for sale on eBay! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users