• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

I once sold a fully restored 1965 Mk.1 body-shell complete with boot bonnet & doors, all finished in primer. It was complete with V5, VIN plate(s), front sub-frame and suspension (separate from the shell as the shell was newly painted).

Two guys came a long way to buy it and paid what I was asking (it was not cheap!). The receipt listed all of this.

Then they admitted they had a Mk.1 1275 'S' 'basket case' and this shell was to be the replacement. All they had to do was to cut the hole in the tunnel and fit the boot board brackets and they had a Cooper 'S' Mk.1 shell.

I wasn't going to argue as they had paid me in cash

#62 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:38 PM

I got an answer......

New message from: hsclassiccars (528)
Thank you for pointing that out, I have amended the ad to take out any misunderstanding. however, there is nothing illegal about reshelling a car you just have to inform the DVLA.

Edited by THE ANORAK, 08 November 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#63 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

I got an answer......

Thank you for pointing that out, I have amended the ad to take out any misunderstanding. however, there is nothing illegal about reshelling a car you just have to inform the DVLA.

Oh, really!!

#64 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:12 AM

I got an answer......

It's the part of the story after you've informed the DVLA that will make it interesting.

#65 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

I got an answer......

Need to complete build up report and send to DVLA. Will of course loose the registration and likely to be Q plated as mentioned by others, in which case it will need an IVA test (which would be problematic for a mini to say the least!) But a legal route to go down, therefore the seller is not wrong in what they say.

Edited by Swift_General, 09 November 2017 - 12:29 AM.

#66 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:32 AM

I got an answer......

correct as long as it is a brand new never registered shell.

what they are doing is 100% illegal.

#67 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:45 AM

If I bought a Heritage shell, complete with doors, bonnet and bootlid - does that come with its own VIN and V5....?

Nope but it comes with proof of ownership and the 5 points required which added to your engine (1 point) and gearbox (2 points) you have the required 8 points and a perfectly legal car even if you fit new subframes and steering rack.

We sometimes just see it from a classic Mini perspective. Enough nearly new cars will be reshelled as a result of insurance claims.

#68 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:50 AM

If I bought a Heritage shell, complete with doors, bonnet and bootlid - does that come with its own VIN and V5....?

Nope but it comes with proof of ownership and the 5 points required which added to your engine (1 point) and gearbox (2 points) you have the required 8 points and a perfectly legal car even if you fit new subframes and steering rack.

We sometimes just see it from a classic Mini perspective. Enough nearly new cars will be reshelled as a result of insurance claims.
Not with dodgy second hand shells though

#69 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:13 AM

I thought I'd be the only muppet in here at this time!

I'd stopped typing to swot up on the David Brown Remastered jobbies.

I meant to say that's why brand new shells from the original manufacturer are allowed. It looks like the DB ones are modified Minis based on their original shells.

Regarding the car theft issue,

I doubt the ad's that dodgy too. You still can't ignore that stolen cars need a new identity to be sold on and if it comes from an existing, less valuable, car: it will become available to be disposed of without an identity. For £7k I'd want to be more certain.

#70 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

so forgetting the morals - is this illegal or not? some seem to think it is others are quite adamant its not....... 

#71 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

There is nothing illegal about selling a shell.... in the same way that there seems to be nothing illegal about selling a crack pipe (plenty on Ebay) - it's what people choose to do with them that is an issue.

GOV.UK gives you the information (It's all very confusing, i think some of it is unnecessarily pedantic, & some of the terminology is vague & open to interpretation of the terms used).

You can rebuild your Mini & retain your registration if you use a brand new shell of the same specification https://www.gov.uk/v...ebuilt-vehicles -a second hand shell = a Q plate.

Or you can get an age related plate rebuilding a Mini with a second hand shell if all parts used are over 25 years old https://www.gov.uk/v...lassic-vehicles

Looked into the background of the outfit selling these shells  https://www.companie...emarco-jennings Their companies seem to dissolve on a fairly regular basis, i wonder how long their shells last?

Everyone is entitled to make a living -but i would some choose a company that is known to do so with honesty & integrity, check out Ben_O threads & then make up your own minds.

#72 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

I can think of lots more illegal things that happen day to day. Maybe all these lot on this thread could buy themselves some hi vis jackets and start a vigilante DVLA roadside womble club. Mind you I doubt they'd say anything to anyone's face, just prefer talking nonsense on the internet.

Merv

#73 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

I can think of lots more illegal things that happen day to day. Maybe all these lot on this thread could buy themselves some hi vis jackets and start a vigilante DVLA roadside womble club. Mind you I doubt they'd say anything to anyone's face, just prefer talking nonsense on the internet.

Merv

I'd be happy to explain to you in person how stupid swapping vin plates and v5s around is but I feel I'd be more concerned about wasting my time than for my safety.

Pete.

#74 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

That's because we're discussing classic minis.

#75 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

so forgetting the morals - is this illegal or not? some seem to think it is others are quite adamant its not....... 

No he (the eBay guy) is doing nothing illegal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users