Photo
- - - - -

Mini 1000 City E - Headlights Wont Turn Off?! Help!

electrical

Best Answer Swift_General , 07 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

Could be a few things, particularly with relays involved, but start with the easiest being the switch. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FozzyBear

FozzyBear

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

Hi all, very new to the mini having just bought my first car a mini city 1000 a week ago. However ive run in to a minor electrical glitch, whereby if the battery is connected the headlights are activated regardless of whether the rocker switch on the dash is activated or not, needless to stay when i bought the car this wasn't an issue.

Relays are all connected up from what i can see. 

Bulkhead mounted fuse box is all wired up.

Relays are all connected.

The only way to prevent the headlights from draining the battery  when connected is to remove an in line fuse which runs on what appears to be the main line.

Is there anything glaringly obvious i should check before i start replacing relays, fuses and old terminals? Many thanks!  :D

#2 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:46 PM   Best Answer

Could be a few things, particularly with relays involved, but start with the easiest being the switch.

#3 FozzyBear

FozzyBear

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:49 PM

FIXED!

Thanks Swift! Pulled the switch out and took it apart, surprisingly simple. Noticed there was quite a bit grease in it which i reckon was preventing the copper sled thingy from moving to the off position when deactivated. Either that or the grease was non-dialectic and causing a current by error. First of many moments of head scratching im sure!  :D

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

Now you have the fault fixed I'd now remove the fusebox and give the connections a good clean... Remove the bulkhead sound deadening foam if fitted

Then clean all the earth points

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users