#17 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

Sorry bud, I got a bit carried away.

I bought it from a well known mini company in the south, the company owner (back in 2009) led me to believe it was a good car to restore by telling me over the phone "The nucleus of the car is really good and would be ideal as a restoration project" So I drove several hours in the rain with a trailer in tow to find it was an absolute mess, it had stood for ten years in the rain and rotted everywhere, nothing about it was good. I asked him what he considered the nucleus to be that was in good condition and he just verbally tore a strip into me calling me an amateur and other choice words.

He clearly shot his mouth off not knowing me, this then inspired me to build it from the ground up.

Please do not ask me who the company was as I believe it has changed hands since.

To be fair its a really nice drive, but too nice for me to fly around in, yes it's nowhere near original and was too far gone to bring back to standard but I just enjoyed building it.

Edited by neal, 18 February 2018 - 06:43 PM.

#18 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

I'd be too scared to drive it, looks superb

#19 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

The sad thing is, most people have said that to me.

I am not a wealthy person and cannot justify using it the way that I would like to, it would break my heart to see it deteriorate and would rather see it in the hands of someone who can maintain it as it deserves it, or as a show piece in a building etc. 

Some would say that I'm a victim of my own success, in some respects very true......

#20 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:41 PM

Incredible attention to detail Neal. You should be very proud of what you've created. Hopefully I will get to see it in person one day

#21 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:05 AM

Staggering work, amazing effort!

Are you allowed to use copper brake lines in the UK? Illegal here in Oz..

#22 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

Not copper brake lines mate, these are made out of cunnifer which is a nickel/copper mixture.

#23 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

Simply amazing pal, every credit.

#24 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

My GT was in the same issue, although at the other end of the quality scale hahaWSWAPjM.jpg

#25 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Great looking car neal. I have to ask was it hard getting it in the magazine? I don't know how the process of that would be like.

#26 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

My GT was in the same issue, although at the other end of the quality scale hahaWSWAPjM.jpg

I'm sure yours will turn out to be a beaut with patience, time and money. But It's very easy to get carried away mate.

#27 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

Great looking car neal. I have to ask was it hard getting it in the magazine? I don't know how the process of that would be like.

I took a load of photos during the eight year build, and sent about 70 off to the editor when the car was built in an email including a write up containing a little about myself, why I chose a mini and the lengths that I went to build it. I built mine pretty much from the ground up. I do know that the then editor (Jeff Ruggles) had to cut out another 1500 words just to keep it within reason.

I was in no rush to get it built which is key to a good outcome, plus the fact that I didn't have a lump sum of cash at hand so I took my time making sure the panel fit was good, gaps correct, and making sure my pre-paint and paintwork was spot on. Once you have a really nice body shell and if you go to the lengths that I did getting all the steering & suspension components powder coated, then I knew I couldn't let my standards drop and it all went a little OCD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users