26 replies to this topic

#16 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:21 PM

i know what youre saying chaps -  but i think you know what i mean with the high revs thing, i think because were all used to modern cars and silent running noise reduction, the sound of a mini screeching on a rolling road is a little unnerving - i will do  bursts on dual carriage ways but always back off after a bit.  The sw5 delivers a smooth reliable power, i think it  might be the significant lack of soundproofing in my car, its just bare metal inside, noisy as hell.

#17 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

i know what youre saying chaps -  but i think you know what i mean with the high revs thing, i think because were all used to modern cars and silent running noise reduction, the sound of a mini screeching on a rolling road is a little unnerving - i will do  bursts on dual carriage ways but always back off after a bit.  The sw5 delivers a smooth reliable power, i think it  might be the significant lack of soundproofing in my car, its just bare metal inside, noisy as hell.

You've just contradicted everything you've said about wanting straight cut drops.

#18 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:54 PM

you assume too much. you mean YOU. we know exactly what a Mini does.

#19 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:16 AM

You can't expect a 60-year-old designed small car to be quiet at today's motorway cruising speeds. If that's what you want don't drive an old classic car.

In the '60's it was usual to cruise a Mini, and many other cars of that era, at around 4000 to 4500 rpm all day long. Cars of that time which didn't rev so much were things like the Rover 2000, Ford Zodiac, Triumph 2000, Vauxhall Cresta, etc. 

If you had a Mini it would be revved to the sort of numbers mentioned. You don't buy a classic Mini for quiet and smooth cruising, you buy it for retro-driving experience and for weekend fun.

If you gear it up it will lose acceleration and not seem as it should. Why not just accept that it is what it is - an old slow and noisy classic car, but possibly the most fun you can have in a classic car.

#20 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:51 AM

Ill be honest - i absolutely crap myself over 60-70 mph because of the high revs, i know its normal on a mini but that high rev noise in the back of my mind makes me think the engine is about to explode. I probably dont give the A series enough credit, its a good strong motor in this car, i just wish i could motorway drive without that fear of exploding it.

Most of that 'terrifying' noise you can hear is the noise coming from the cooling fan.

Relax, you are worrying about nothing.

Like Timmy, I go away for weeks on end sitting around 4000 rpm much of the time, these engines are very happy to do that.

Much more and faster wear will occur if you labour your engine at lower revs from having too tall a final drive.

#21 Narrowwater

Narrowwater

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

You can reduce the noise a bit with sound deadening and sound proofing but a much cheaper way is to use earplugs on a run if you are that worried.

#22 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Sound deadening is good, i have a 1275 with a fast road cam and injection, and i changed my final drive to 2.9, it can sit al day at 120kph+ without screaming from the Revs, its sits in the high 3000 revs at that speed. We have long roads in sweden, so it was perfect fit. Talk to Guess-works.com and he will advise you on what will work best for you, while your in the gear box, think about updating your clutch and Diff.

#23 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

I run a SW5 with a 3.65:1 final drive- it's brilliant. Not much fun on motorways, but on B roads it's perfect. Sounds like you need soundproofing more than anything else.

#24 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

Work out your gearing by jacking the car up and turning a wheel and counting how many revs the engine does for one rev of the wheel.  Then you can decide.

I have the SW05 cam, it's a decent cam for road use.  My car had a 3.9:1 diff in it when I got it - it was stupidly revvy for commuting.  I put a 3.44:1 diff in and all is well.

#25 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

You've just contradicted everything you've said about wanting straight cut drops.

Just making friendly chat lads. 

#26 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:18 PM

Sound deadening is good, i have a 1275 with a fast road cam and injection, and i changed my final drive to 2.9, it can sit al day at 120kph+ without screaming from the Revs, its sits in the high 3000 revs at that speed. We have long roads in sweden, so it was perfect fit. Talk to Guess-works.com and he will advise you on what will work best for you, while your in the gear box, think about updating your clutch and Diff.

thanks, good practical tips - much appreciated.

#27 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

Just making friendly chat lads. 
That's the spirit I've taken it in. Just get some ear plugs, put your foot down and enjoy some old style driving. Don't try and turn it into something it's not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users