r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

Not anymore I don't think.

Besides they're all aftermarket additions so their relative value to the car isn't massive.

A few limited editions were done and sold by Cooper, those are more of interest.

You can still order the same Cooper upgrade package.

Also: car has had a twin-tank system fitted??  Was it raced at any point?

Edited by r3k1355, 09 November 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#3 Wise Old Elf

Wise Old Elf

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Local Club: Club Lotus

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

You could ask on here: https://www.facebook...40975452710409/

#4 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

If it's a genuine Cooper conversion it should have the name 'Cooper' stamped on the head together with a 4 digit number. This is found on a raised surface immediately behind the thermostat. There are no records in existence for Cooper conversions unfortunately so either the invoice or the certificate would be an advantage. The plate gives the car number rather than the conversion number so it would be a Cooper limited edition rather than a conversion, assuming the plate is genuine. Genuine period aftermarket John Cooper conversions also do have considerable value. John Cooper had been converting cars since 1989 but did not produce his own limited edition until 1995 with the first two having the registrations M111 OWW and M111 OUW. It's possible N111 OUW might also have been one of their press cars. Its sounds as if it might have been as Jeremy Clarkson drove it.

#5 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:31 AM

The S number looks about right as I had S 76 which was an August 96 car. All the exterior badging is missing though. No red enamel Cooper bonnet badge, no Si badge on the rear and no S decals on the rear wings. My original head had Cooper stamped on it, but my warranty claim one didn't. It was just painted blue with stamped numbers on it.

#6 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

The head was a Janspeed unit wasn't it? or was it just developed with Janspeed??

They did two, one with larger valves than the other IIRC.

The rear Si badge was off a Fiesta, still easy to obtain.

The plates and stuff in the car can easily be swapped around, really unless you've got the original invoice you're taking abit of a gamble.

Obviously, it goes without saying - check that the parts are actually fitted to the car still!!

Edited by r3k1355, 10 November 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#7 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

From the information in the Cooper brochures over the years the development credited to John Cooper and Janspeed jointly is actually only for the carb heads (998 and 1275). It may be that Coopers themselves did the further development work to adapt the head for the injection versions. It is known that Janspeed could not keep up with the production demand and some of the work was given to an unnamed tuner local to John Cooper Garages. The latter heads were painted dark green. Apparently MiniSpeed also produced many of the heads and eventually MiniSport took over the whole production in the latter half of the 90s.

I don't have any information on valve sizes but there were several SPi versions:

Si Pack

Si Plus Pack

80 BHP kit

Super kit as fitted to the Grand Prix

S Works Upgrade

There was also a very rare 1400cc SPi conversion kit

#8 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

I'd imagine the larger valves went in the higher output kits, sounds like they offered it in several different iterations as it developed over time.

It's a cool period-correct modification, if you're going to modify an old Mini it's one of the better kits to have.

#9 iToNiiCz

iToNiiCz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

If it's a genuine Cooper conversion it should have the name 'Cooper' stamped on the head together with a 4 digit number. This is found on a raised surface immediately behind the thermostat. There are no records in existence for Cooper conversions unfortunately so either the invoice or the certificate would be an advantage. The plate gives the car number rather than the conversion number so it would be a Cooper limited edition rather than a conversion, assuming the plate is genuine. Genuine period aftermarket John Cooper conversions also do have considerable value. John Cooper had been converting cars since 1989 but did not produce his own limited edition until 1995 with the first two having the registrations M111 OWW and M111 OUW. It's possible N111 OUW might also have been one of their press cars. Its sounds as if it might have been as Jeremy Clarkson drove it.

i asked the guy he said it had cooper 1331 on the head 

#10 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

Ive been contemplating fitting a cooper or mini sports kit to my MPI over the winter.
Cant decide on which one.

#11 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

Either is good, Mini spares offer some good stuff as well.

You pay more for the Cooper kit compared to others.

#12 landsurveyor

landsurveyor

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local Club: Jurassic Coast Mini Club

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

Rings alarm bells with me as my (sadly sold on) 93 cooper Si cooper plate was riveted and this one has some crappy screws holding it. The stamping of the numbers also looks a bit untidy?
I still have the brochure, metal plate and certificate somewhere. I will look it out and take a photo.

#13 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:56 AM

The car went for £4100. A bargain really as it turns out it was, as I suggested, a genuine John Cooper Garages demonstrator. A great piece of history with a great reg plate, chosen for what a performance car should sound like - N111 OUW.

If it didn't have such a high mileage I would have been interested. It's strange the seller did not think to check with the DVLA who the original owner was. 

On the subject of Cooper chassis plate fixings my own 1991 S conversion (done by John Cooper Garages) is fixed by the same type of screws as in the photo of the car on eBay.

#14 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

Did check with DVLA to find out who the original owner was?? or was it something mentioned in ad material from the time that's been found?

#15 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

I was told by the former Service Manager of John Cooper Garages. He had it as his demonstrator.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users