2 replies to this topic

#1 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Imagine ive stripped the entire dash assembly out to bare metal to rebuild it.

Im buying bottom rail for the 4 switches and choke /heater assembly.

Now its got a double binnacle on currently and its awful - all im looking for is a new speedo and fuel guage, thats it.

Obviously it will need a new loom as the old type is almost obsolete, so what can i do from here.

Ive looked on mini sport, only sell smiths and im not chucking £300 plus on a swanky guage - its not a "showy" car and im not arsed about a posh interior. (its basically bare metal with cobra buckets in and a steering wheel, suits me fine)

can anyone reccommend a dealer who sells just a speedo/fuel guage and the loom to wire it.

Also need some advice on another speedo issue.

The old one is 10 mph low at true speed, so speedo 30 is actually 40. 

How do i go about rectifying this? 

the above issues are something im not familiar with and id like your expert advice please all.

#2 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

Ok same issue as your gearing/diff posting. Before you can calibrate any speedo or buy one with the correct Turns Per Mile (TPM) you need to know what your diff ratio is, and your tyre size. As they can be very different.

Caerbont Automotive are the guys to recalibrate and or rebuild anything Smiths they have just done a Speedwell rev counter for me.

Sounds like you need a single center speedo and binnacle say from a City or a van, get the speedo recalibrated (if its not the correct TPM for your gearing) and an adapter loom to convert the 2 clock loom to a centre speedo, a fairly simple job and not that expensive.

#3 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:30 AM

tHANKYOU  so much retroman - best advice ive had so far! 

Would you mind if i picked your brain again at some point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users