Yes they were 12’s

#18 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:09 PM

Well this is all very friendly and helpful???
I had completely forgotten just how many minis exist on their original shells, with their original engines and original interiors.
For info the white and yellow plates are the same Reg (I still have them) and the reg has been blanked out as these were the pictures from the advert. The gent I bought it from still had the remnants of the blue original car but it was a complete basket case and far to far gone to repair. So with that and the ridiculously high cost of finding a replacement mk1 shell a mk3 shell was found.

The most friendly and helpful advice I can give is to ask the seller if he still has the italian job v5c as it will be worth much more than it is now if you can revert it back.

#19 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

I had completely forgotten just how many minis exist on their original shells, with their original engines and original interiors.

For info the white and yellow plates are the same Reg (I still have them) and the reg has been blanked out as these were the pictures from the advert. The gent I bought it from still had the remnants of the blue original car but it was a complete basket case and far to far gone to repair. So with that and the ridiculously high cost of finding a replacement mk1 shell a mk3 shell was found.

Its quite simple, taking the identity of one vehicle and putting it on another is called ringing and it's against the law.

#20 Rolo94

Rolo94

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

Where the wheels you took off 12”?

Yes they were 12’s

They look neat i like the contrast, and the new project

#21 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

Sorry to add but I have to agree, this is a blatant ringer.

I would be very careful

#22 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:14 PM

And why exactly would any vehicle have it's identity changed other than for a q plate? Many minis may not have their original engines or interiors, but they will have there original identities.

That 92/93 Italian job "shell" would also be a mk6 (91to 96) not a mk3 for starters.

Sorry to add but I have to agree, this is a blatant ringer.

I would be very careful

If the seller doesn't have the cars original V5/identity, I wonder if anyone has had a tidy Italian job stolen....

#23 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

There do seem to be some inconsistencies here RobJ.  You say you were told it was a '68 car re-shelled with a later body and yet there don't appear to be any parts from the '68 car present, suggesting that the identity of the early car is the only thing that has been added to the later car.  I would at least make sure that the later car was legally owned by the seller as their story seems highly suspect.  Buying a early plate for a later car is one thing, making out that a later car in it's entirety is an earlier one is illegal as said and you may lose the car.

#24 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

So after taking on board all of your comments I spoke to the seller (he's a friend of my Dads - one of the reasons I didnt check too thoroughly) 

So to clear up some bits:

Shell is indeed an italian job shell that came from a car that was broken for parts (MOT failure originally) - front end, rear valence and some other minor rust repairs carried out by the seller (he didnt get around to the floors or inner sills.....) It was originally to be a spare/replacement shell for his track/hillclimb mini and was bought as just a shell with the some bits of the interior still fitted (rear seat doesnt match, carpets are aftermarket etc etc) - This was my misunderstanding and not really thinking about the fan inner wing/SPI type shell doesnt match a late 80's early 90's 998 shell that I had originally thought it was.

Parts from the original 68 shell; I have the doors, some of the glass, bonnet, boot, loom, engine and auto box. So most of the stuff that was salvageable and some of these parts will be usefull and will end up back on the car.

The late 80's/early 90's 998 link; this was the car that gave up its rear suspension and other interior bits that were missing from the Italian job shell.

Engine; again was a spare the seller had and was purchased to be broken down and checked over. However, he never got around to it and as it was a runner it went into this car. Was bought as a 1380 with the twin carbs and a 286 cam but again unchecked at the present time.

What I bought and how it was to be sold (was never actually advertised) was as a project with the Mk1 shell/panels and some other bits. It looks good in the pics but actually its not that nice and most of the parts/panels were only placed for the advert (Werent actually fixed - or not fixed properly) hence no MOT etc etc. I bought it as I wanted a bit of a play thing and this had most of the bits I wanted included or were parts that I wanted to replace so wasnt that worried about. At the time I was considering looking for a mk1 shell and then would have the majority of parts between this car and the Mk1 to build a decent car. This may still happen in the future but once I looked over the car properly I thought I would have a nice little car in the short term with a little bit of work that I would be able to use. I aslo wouldnt feel bad about modyfying/ruining an early shell (want proper seatbelts as my family use the car amongst some other bits) and chopping about a shell of this age (early 90's) doesnt seem like sacrilage.

Perhaps I was a little naive thinking there wouldnt be questions about all of this but in my mind it was kind of clear and not particularly an issue and whilst not a legit mk1 (for the time being) for what I wanted it was all perfect. 

Will edit the first post to clear up

Thanks all

Edited by robj2502, 13 November 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#25 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

I'm sure you can understand the concerns given the number of Minis stolen. Now that we've cleared that up we can settle down to enjoy following your project - will you go to the effort/cost of using the Mk1 doors? And will it be a replica of one of the film cars?

#26 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:51 AM

I'm sure you can understand the concerns given the number of Minis stolen. Now that we've cleared that up we can settle down to enjoy following your project - will you go to the effort/cost of using the Mk1 doors? And will it be a replica of one of the film cars?

Completely,

Actually I am kind of glad that you all did as it has also made it much clearer to me and whilst I wasnt massively concerned (I do trust the seller) it is always good to know/to check.

I am not sure about the mk1 doors, I see they are a different size and with this the sliding glass will not fit the internal hinged doors if they were converted (well, not without a significant amount of work and even then they may look a little odd) plus then there is the external hinges and whilst I love the look of external hinges this would mean A panels, strengthening plates etc. So not sure what is best here..... I may convert the later style doors to sliding windows (ala streetfighter type by the mini door company) so most of the look (minus external hinges) but significantly less work to the shell and keep the original doors if a Mk1 shell comes up (as they are actually in reasonable condition) the only thing to sort out then would be the glass and whilst I could use lexan or the like it would be nice to have proper glass. Perhaps I will look into this aspect of it and see if I can find someone who manufactures custom glass (I think the only complicated bit will be drilling the holes for the catches and probably the area most manufacturers wont want to do!)

#27 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

You could always just put some fake external hinges so you get the look without the fuss. And I heard a few that did the sliding window conversion saying it was unpractical, so unless you just want the look...

Will be following! 😉

Ben

#28 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

If you have sliding glass windows made the holes for the catches need to be drilled before the glass is tempered or will shatter (as I found out on a sink splashback!) I had the dilemma re whether to fit Mk1 doors on my Cooper s replica.  In the end it seemed far too much work for only a slight aesthetic gain that most people won't notice.

#29 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

Still doesn't cover up the fact that the Italian job shell should still have its original v5 and registration, regardless. Or be tested and given a completely new registration.

Also trying to convert a later 90's onwards shell to a mk1 is near enough impossible (or not financially viable) As every single panel changed over the minis 41 years of production.

#30 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

It would be ideal if the Italian job id could be put back and restored as an Italian job, it would be a desirable mini worth more than it ever will with the false reg on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users