135 replies to this topic

#61 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

Had a bit of a break from car stuff as my second son was born on the 13th Feb so have been kept occupied at home. I still managed to be buying stuff (the easy bit) but not really doing much else so its actually been quite nice to get back into it.

So bought these Minispares 1.5 roller tip rockers:

62uYbx1.jpg

So thought I would get the head built back up to ensure they fit:

TfWfsMz.jpg

nZtLKr9.jpg

Noticed that a couple of the rollers dont quite centre on the valves (in actual fact they pretty much hang off) so have just ordered the shims to correct this:

EzbtVCU.jpg

Its a bit of a pain but glad I checked now and not when getting the engine back together

Edited by robj2502, 27 February 2018 - 01:24 PM.

#62 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

Had a bit of a break from car stuff as my second son was born on the 13th Feb so have been kept occupied at home. I still managed to be buying stuff (the easy bit) but not really doing much else so its actually been quite nice to get back into it.

62uYbx1.jpg

TfWfsMz.jpg

nZtLKr9.jpg

Noticed that a couple of the rollers dont quite centre on the valves (in actual fact they pretty much hang off) so have just ordered the shims to correct this:

EzbtVCU.jpg

Its a bit of a pain but glad I checked now and not when getting the engine back together

When you shim them up just make sure the push rods are not fouling. You won't be able to do this until the head is on.

#63 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

When you shim them up just make sure the push rods are not fouling. You won't be able to do this until the head is on.

Thanks for the heads up as this hadnt occured to me, I also have the extra thick pushrods that I suspect would make this worse!

I will indeed wait and see what I can do/what clearence I have

Edited by robj2502, 27 February 2018 - 02:15 PM.

#64 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

So finally managed to get the engine from the car which left this hole:

MgJ9lRs.jpg?1

And also meant that this was on the ground:

Ysvixn0.jpg

Now time to get it stripped down to see what I have (hopefully what I was sold!) and its general condition - more to come shortly

#65 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

Engine given a quick degrease and clean and ancilleries and head removed:

HY6vzYY.jpg

oDjUybI.jpg

nuGyiQN.jpg?1

DSHXf19.jpg

Would look to be as described - a fairly recently built 1380. Which is great news!! just need to get on with stripping the rest of it apart although this will be delayed slightly as I came off my bike cycling to work (think i came down on some oil/spilt diesel) and have some really nasty gravel rash and am particularly sore. Also have had the tyres replaced on my BMW mini only to find one of the wheels has a crack on the edge of the rim so need to find the time to get this sorted and then my BMW estate (the family car) starts throwing up the engine warning light and running really rough..............all in all a fantastic week so far!!

Edited by robj2502, 07 March 2018 - 03:24 PM.

#66 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

Well, that's the bike, the MINI and the BMW - they say these things come in threes so hopefully that's you clear of trouble for a while.

As a Lycra enthusiast I understand the pain of road rash. Hope you heal up soon.

On the positive side of things, the engine looks great!

#67 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Well, that's the bike, the MINI and the BMW - they say these things come in threes so hopefully that's you clear of trouble for a while.

As a Lycra enthusiast I understand the pain of road rash. Hope you heal up soon.

On the positive side of things, the engine looks great!

I do hope thats the worst of it over for a little while!! however, I still need to work out whats wrong with the BMW so perhaps it isnt quite over yet   :cry:

Thanks, it is bloody sore and actually some of the worst I've had. I race through the summer and so have obviously come off once or twice so have gotten pretty used to gravel rash but this is nasty! Think it was a section of particularly rough asphalt as have some really deep gauges to go with the general skin loss......nice I know!

Cheers, hopefully the engine will only get better from here. I have quite a few "blingy" bits to go on once it goes back together

Edited by robj2502, 08 March 2018 - 12:48 PM.

#68 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:17 PM

Who said bad news only comes in threes?...........

Block split from gearbox and then dismantled:

Firstly found a complete excess of silicon, its bloody everywhere! and made the stripdown a complete pita:

tB9l3Bz.jpg

8yUonX2.jpg

vzguE4Z.jpg?1

This initially wasnt great news as it might suggest that someone put it together who wasnt a professional/didnt have any idea....... but then came the really bad bit:

8OY8Db8.jpg

Pistons have touched the cylinder walls:

vluDsSp.jpg

All 4 are like this and there are corresponding marks on the block. Now there are a number of things that may have caused this but suspect it has overheated at some point or at the very least has been running hot. Whilst this can be sorted out I think its time to find another block and some new pistons.......there goes the budget again!!

Edited by robj2502, 14 March 2018 - 07:19 PM.

#69 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:08 PM

I think that looks also like piston slap, normally caused by having too much clearance between the pistons and the bore. Not much you can really do with a 1380 block other than get it sleeved? 

#70 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:56 PM

you are certainly buying up some cool parts for this, should be an interesting read as the build goes on.

#71 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

I think that looks also like piston slap, normally caused by having too much clearance between the pistons and the bore. Not much you can really do with a 1380 block other than get it sleeved?

Piston slap tends to be more of an oval pattern on the skirt. This looks more like bore wash (over fuelling).

#72 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

Could possibly be as hone marks have been worn off in the cylinders. I have just got hold of another engine (see below) as this was simpler than sleeving etc

you are certainly buying up some cool parts for this, should be an interesting read as the build goes on.

Thanks very much. I have bought a shed load of stuff that I havent yet shown. I have several elements of the car in progress and hopefully a few of these will be completed in the near future where some of these nice bits will make an appearence.

Piston slap tends to be more of an oval pattern on the skirt. This looks more like bore wash (over fuelling).

Actually this could be a likely cause as it was definitely running rich and I dont really have any history/setup info on the engine. This would also explain the wear (missing hone marks) on the bores.

In the mean time I have picked up another engine (standard A+1275) so made a start on getting it stripped down:

8zSmaZX.jpg

Unfortunately I dont have one before the head and transfer covers were removed but you get the general idea.

And all stripped ready for machining:

b6s7Jxt.jpg?1

Now I just need to find a decent place near me to do the work......

#73 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:20 AM

So Ive not been doing too much on the mini whilst I am getting the engine sorted out so have taken the time to repair the faults on my BMW estate (turns out there was a vacuum leak on the breather system - all the hoses were a brittle mess) and have also taken the opportunity to refresh some of the suspension bits and renew the brakes which should give it a clean bill of health for the forseeable. I have also had to move my workshop which hasnt been ideal but the new space whilst a little smaller does mean that eveything is together. I just need to do some work on the lighting and electrics to get it perfect - pictures to follow.

I had managed to get some bits done on the carbs as back when I stripped down and cleaned them I thought the ports looked a little small in comparison to the inlets on the head so time to check:

Bought some of this stuff:

7v8aj55.jpg?1

Slapped it around the ports: (you can also see the Titanium manifold studs here - they are lovely and great quality)

Lyq2Hk4.jpg

Pushed the carb manifold up against the head and hey-presto:

ctfYWki.jpg?1

Whilst the imprint isnt perfect theres actually quite alot of material to be removed 

So got on with it and this is the finished article:

Qdj80Kx.jpg

Just need to double check it and check the gasket but its significantly closer than it was.

I also took the opportunity to change the throttle return springs (as the originals were catching on the stainless heat shield) new on the left:

YDwxjTA.jpg

And fit a blanking plug where the connection for the brake servo used to go:

6JIPIhh.jpg?1

More to come soon :)

#74 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:10 PM

Looking tidy mate, always good to see people port matching things. Such a simple concept thats always so overlooked.

#75 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

Looking tidy mate, always good to see people port matching things. Such a simple concept thats always so overlooked.

Thanks very much. It certainly is something that is overlooked far too often and whilst it wont make a massive difference each of these little items adds up to something greater.

So once again other things have got in the way of working on the mini! in between work, refurbishing my house and a new baby I havent had much spare time. I did however pay these gents a little visit:

s2EUiAj.jpg

They will be carrying out the engine machining work for me and hopefully I will be getting them the bits at the end of this week.

So, to get the correct deck height for the compression ratio KAD need all the components to do a dry build so went about sorting these out:

Pistons:

awF1yCy.jpg

I have gone for pistons from Keith Calver, the spec is great for the price and he has been particularly helpful in the process.

I have also had these little grooves machined in:

Q114XbK.jpg

So that I could have these:

uYCM6OV.jpg

And a nice little brass bush meaning that they are fully floating (so much easier to fit pistons!!):

NP5vEeG.jpg

Which also came with these:

c9l4FHr.jpg

Now considering the current general proposed spec and intended camshaft/rev limit the rods arent massively required however, if you factor in the cost of balancing the existing, the fact that I would be using rods that I didnt know the history of and the cost of ARP rod bolts (as it would be silly not to fit uprated rod bolts) then all of the sudden these rods seem like a bit of a bargain.

Also a by product of this is less weight and obviously less weight (especially where internal reciprocating parts are concerned) means more performance so:

Old rod and piston:

TuFHK70.jpg

New rod and piston:

Dn8vOSI.jpg

Not a massive saving I grant you but 400gr across the set is still a saving especially when you consider that the pistons are physically bigger.

Edited by robj2502, 26 April 2018 - 10:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users