123 replies to this topic

#121 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

Same gearset, roller bearing drop gears (I'm using 1.04:1 ratio) and crownwheel and pinion as mine - it's pretty loud!

The spec is pretty much identical although I went with 1:1 for the drops as thought 3.75 for the final drive was high enough. I also notice that you have the pinion support bearing and kind of wish I had done this too. Shame its not really a retrofit piece as I get the impression the main shaft needs to be turned down to fit

This is the same kind of spec im looking at. How loud are we talking? Livable? Or really bloody loud lol.

I guess this very much depends on what you are used too. I dont think I would want that much noise if it was my daily but otherwise it is acceptable.

Edited by robj2502, 08 January 2019 - 10:36 AM.

#122 imack

imack

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

This is the same kind of spec im looking at. How loud are we talking? Livable? Or really bloody loud lol.

It's pretty loud, ok out for a blat around the lanes but constant motorway speed on a light throttle is fairly painful, definitely need ear protection at hand for any distance at speed.

#123 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

Ah fair one, sounds livable to be honest. Like you say if it was a daily it would be a different story.

#124 imack

imack

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

Same gearset, roller bearing drop gears (I'm using 1.04:1 ratio) and crownwheel and pinion as mine - it's pretty loud!

The spec is pretty much identical although I went with 1:1 for the drops as thought 3.75 for the final drive was high enough. I also notice that you have the pinion support bearing and kind of wish I had done this too. Shame its not really a retrofit piece as I get the impression the main shaft needs to be turned down to fit

I guess this very much depends on what you are used too. I dont think I would want that much noise if it was my daily but otherwise it is acceptable.

Only recently fitted the KAD pinion support housing due to breaking teeth off my 3.44:1 helical crown wheel and pinion. Was running the 3.44 with 1.09:1 drops effectivly giving a 3.76:1 final drive.
I found 1st gear was a bit on the tall side and felt particularly hard on the transmission when giving it full bore from a standing start - combination of tall 1st gear, 165/70x10 a032r, quaife atb and a 649 based cam (MED FIA15 historic race cam) needing a load of revs so as not to bog down.
When I rebuilt the box I decided to drop the final drive ratio to 3.9:1 using MED 3.75:1 straight cut crownwheel and pinion and 1.04:1 drop gears, giving me the option to go back to 3.75 by changing the primary gear if I didn't like the 3.9.
Took a while to make a decision on the pinion support housing as when I asked on here several people didn't like them as they'd seen the ends of the mainshafts break as a result, not causing failure, just a loss of speedo drive. I spoke to KAD who claimed they'd not seen any broken shafts and made the decision to go for it figuring it couldn't be any worse and at least you'd know you're likely to have broken the mainshaft if you lost the speedo.
The mainshaft does need grinding and a sleeve fitted to fit in the bearing.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares