15 replies to this topic

#1 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

Hi guys, the mini is getting some new tyres for xmas, anyone have some recommendations or tyres to steer clear from (  ay ay see what i did there ) 

Live in england so expect the rain and a mix between -5 and +25C ( for one day a year)  Its just a road car. 998 with 850 gear box and i like a quick pull off hense the need for new fronts! 

Current tyres  145/70R12 69T 

#2 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

I would NOT steer clear of 165/60/12 A539 Tyre - Yokohama..

you get you pay for and these are on my list of 'things to get when not skint and eating baked beans'  ....

Attached File  tyre.jpg   30.84K   0 downloads

Edited by ga2davt, 12 November 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#3 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

you get you pay for and these are on my list of 'things to get when not skint and eating baked beans'  ....

attachicon.giftyre.jpg

May sound stupid would i have to change my alloys due to them being wider

#4 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

Nope :-) What wheels are you running currently?

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

Nope :-) What wheels are you running currently?

Couldnt tell you im afraid on the car since i bought it 

ykEOP.png

#6 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

but not low cost .. these are like Mini Cooper S tyres .... sweet and nice..

I just got 12" steels and will eventually put these on..

#7 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Those 165/60/12 A539 Yoko's will go onto the rover minilights you have with no issues. Although I'm still sticking with those tyres on a 12x5" wheel are the best combo.

If your sticking with 145/70r12's though stay away from the Falken Sincera SN828. Just about the worst of the 'good' tyres I've ever had. The were ok in the dry, but the wet weather grip was appalling and in in a light rain shower were like driving on ice. Also the sidewalls of two of mine cracked/perished to the point of being dangerous within 2 to 3 years.

my personal fave at the moment in the 145/70 r12 size is the Nankang cx668, witch I know most will disagree with. And comparing them with the Falkens using the eu tyre labelling system.  

Falkens - fuel efficiency - F

- wet weather grip - E

- Noise - 3

Nankang - fuel efficiency - E

- wet weather grip - B

- Noise - 2

#8 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

attachicon.giftyre.jpg

My recommendation would be to go for the Yokohama A539 165/60x 12, not the cheapest at about £65 a corner including valves balancing etc but you get what you pay for.

#9 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

Check out openeo, black circles and camskill for tyres - might be able to find them on there?

A539s for me too!

#10 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:35 PM

If your sticking with 145/70r12's though stay away from the Falken Sincera SN828. Just about the worst of the 'good' tyres I've ever had. The were ok in the dry, but the wet weather grip was appalling and in in a light rain shower were like driving on ice. Also the sidewalls of two of mine cracked/perished to the point of being dangerous within 2 to 3 years.

my personal fave at the moment in the 145/70 r12 size is the Nankang cx668, witch I know most will disagree with. And comparing them with the Falkens using the eu tyre labelling system.  

I totally agree that Falkens are nasty tyres especially in 145/70-12 size and I don`t understand anyone actually liking them compared to everything else on offer.

Unless you live in a place it never rains and your roads don`t get salted or your car is a trailer queen or as a driver you have lost all the spirit of a mini ownership stay away from falkens and get some Yoko`s.

If staying with 145 section tyres you won`t go wrong with the Nankangs.

#11 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

Has anyone tried the Michelin XZX in 145/70 12? Would love to stay with skinny tyres (else would put on the 539's) and am not a fan of the Nankangs I currently have....

http://classic.miche...-Tyre-range/XZX

Edited by buznout, 14 November 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#12 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

When comparing tyres it is only a true comparison when the tyres are the same age and condition ( tread depth ) as even the Yokohamas seriously go off the boil by about 5 years old. 

Its fair to say we cannot judge a tyres qualities if it has a bit of age to it and some of us would be in for a bit of a shock when we check the date codes on our tyres.

The mini being such a light car the grip is more important than most as the tyre contact patch is small so where a modern heavy car would happily go around a slippery road with the driver blissfully unaware the mini can get a little twitchy.

Another thing worth pointing out is tire and wheel weights ( unsprung weight ). When I personally weighed them a Yokohama 165/70-10 is 1 kg lighter than a dunlop Aqua jet 145/70-10. That`s a 4 kg weight saving, so on a 998 mini with if you`re lucky 30 bhp at the wheels you will notice the difference.

I had a guy come around with next to no budget wanting to get a bit more power out of his early 80`s bog standard 998 mini with 13" wheels. As his tyres were worn badly I told him to borrow some 12" steels off a friend and report back his findings. He reported actual acceleration ;) and the brakes worked better.....nuff said.  

#13 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

My experiences have all been from brand new tyres and then run for a couple of years. The Falkens weren't just bad going round corners (or roundabouts) but also twitchy just going in a straight line. Also a mini I drove on the older tread pattern (but new) 165/70 R10 Falkens used to squeal without even trying in the dry, and that's before pushing it and being stupid.

Edited by 1984mini25, 14 November 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#14 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

Just bought a set from minisport. Surprisingly it was cheaper to buy 4 individual tyres then the set of 4 Go figure...  Unfortunately minispares only had 2....  Also thinking of picking up some new black and red alloys 

#15 austinmini1963

austinmini1963

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Local Club: Thanets Original Minis

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Yokohama's are the way forward, good tyre with loads of grip. Good to see you are treating the old girl Phil!! Keep us updated with piccys of the new wheels if you get them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users