17 replies to this topic

#1 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

I've started renting a garage away from home, only about 15 mins, with a view to put the mini in when I get another project car at home. It's basic and just has the normal twist lock in the centre of the door. Was wondering what other scurity people recommend for the garage, but also what's done to the mini?

For the garage I was wanting to put two hasp and staples one in each bottom corner to stop the door being peeled

The garage is close and in my work area so I can check on it and I still want to use the car (not so much through winter!) but was thinking about removing the battery connection and taking the steering wheel off?

What do other people do :-) ?

#2 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

I'd turn the wheels to full lock before removing the wheel too.

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

Garage defenders are good.

The issue is, if it looks too secure it makes it look like there's something worth stealing in there

#4 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

All the above suggestions sound good.

However when I had an up and over garage door I fitted a double throw mortice lock at the top of the door with a metal strip on the inside of the frame to strengthen the keep, there were a number of attempts to break in the garage (none were successful, as when the bottom of the door is pulled outwards the mortice lock enters further in to the frame. I would also add some vertical unistrut channels on the inside to strengthen the door.

Edited by JXC Mini GT, 14 November 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#5 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

Id install a security post too...

#6 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

Steering lock or take the wheel off.
Get a flashing LED unit and put it in the car somewhere (without it looking too obvious that its not a real alarm) Same with putting a fake CCTV camera on the outside of the garage door. Depends on whoevers leasing you it lets you do.

A battery immobiliser is also easy to fit. 

Edited by WillCarter, 14 November 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#7 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

Remove rota arm is an easy one or kill switch for the ignition.( I would do the later regardless)

#8 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

I'm thinking of getting a removable steering wheel kit so that acts as a bit of a deterrent for when i'm out and about.

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

These are better, more discreet and tamper prof than external bolts and padlocks. (also available on eBay)

https://www.homesecu...ASABEgLlq_D_BwE

#10 monkeymonk

monkeymonk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

These are better, more discreet and tamper prof than external bolts and padlocks. (also available on eBay)

https://www.homesecu...ASABEgLlq_D_BwE

I can vouch for these! Got them installed on my rental garage

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:04 PM

If you knew what they were you'd only have to cut the bolt heads free and the door would open leaving the bolts behind. At least site them using the diagonal braces to resist them being slid free if that happened. Good that the bolt's through the  framework of the door, but it'd be better to have to the lock secured on a plate fixed to the inside.  You could hide the key holes with reflectors rather than escutcheons too. 

Plenty of decent anti burst door latches in your local scrappers too, a better solution, but more work. 

#12 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

Put the car up on axle stands and take the wheels and nuts home with you including the steering wheel, if you leave it down on the ground with wheels on then it wouldn't take much to use a trolley jack under the sump to help steer it out the garage.

Thieves don't like to hang around so the more more hurdles (make them real obvious) put in the way of steeling it the better the chance of keeping your car.

A mate of mine put a PIR sensor in his garage and wired in an old fashioned fire bell and flood light.

Have a look at STREETWIZE GPS TRACKERS or something similar, cheap and cheerful and you can wire it into your battery. What about a motion activated dash cam hid in the corner of your garage?

#13 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

You can get battery a operated remote controlled shed alarm for about £10. That would give them a fright.

#14 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

You can get battery a operated remote controlled shed alarm for about £10. That would give them a fright.

Defo, good value too.

#15 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

Cheers chaps, lots of good suggestions there! I forgot that the car has an immobiliser too which is ideal. Those hidden locks look great, sure they can be cut off, but would cause alot of noise and no different to cutting a padlock off a bolt.

As said at the top, I dont want to make the garage too conspicuous so people want to find out whats in there! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users