Photo

Code Reader Capable Of Stepper Motor Reset..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 M111OWW

M111OWW

Woody

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

I know there are other topics on here regarding the code readers, this issue I have is unique to a hand full of John cooper garages Si minis form the mid 90's..

Part of their package was a 270'ish Ohm resistor in the CTS line, this gave info to the ECU that it was still fairly cold and as such gave more fuel. My very basic code reader shows only 63degrees from interrogating the ECU when it's hot..

I have tried simply removing the resistor and running the car, the problem is, now that the ECU sees the full 88 degrees it is motoring the stepper and the idle drops right off to around 450rpm..

I can't seem to do anything with it!. All the lost motion linkages are adjusted spot on and everything else is operating normally, lambda switching too....

Apparently some code readers can re index the stepper motor and correct the idle..

Is there anyone in the Oxfordshire area, Witney/Carterton way that would be prepared to give me a hand to sort it out, or be kind enough to let me borrow the tool and I can do it myself...

The engine is now fully rebuilt (again)!!! And will be ready to start in a week or two..

#2 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

You need either Sykes Pickavant ACR system with Rover V3 or later or a Crypton ACT with the card and lead (although I’ve never had much success with the auto tune stepper function myself).
Crypton can do a hard reset though of the ECU wiping the self adaption.
Pity you are so far away as I have both here

FS

#3 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

I used the ACR4 to reset my idle using the reader to tell me how much to adjust the TPS stop by. Well worth the investment if you have an MPi. Had a multitude of fast idle / dying idle before it. 

Infact reminds me I need to get round to selling mine now that I've gone to SC Injection. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users