11 replies to this topic

#1 minimotion

minimotion

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Any one know of places that dip shells or blast as close as poss to South Wales don't mind traveling if need be up to maybe 2 hours drive many thanks

#2 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

http://www.surfacepr...g-all_cars.html

Dudley isn't too bad a run?

#3 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

http://www.envirostr...to-restoration/

Or up the M42 to Tamworth.

#4 minimotion

minimotion

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

Have seen people say about the cost of stripping and e coat is not to far from a new shell so am I better getting the outside and underside blasted is has a new front panel wings doors and rear panel so only the quarters and roof are old perhaps blast prep and coat the under side repair what ever blasting brings up then have it straight to the body shop for the panels?

#5 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:09 PM

I used Redditch Shotblasting and Washford Finishing in the past (almost opposite each other in Redditch Worcestershire).

I would avoid dipping as I have seen three cars processed this way where the rust was bleeding out of the seams within a very short space of time.  Its probably an ok method if you can get all the chemicals out but there in lies the problem, my friends rust free American frogeye shell had rust bleeding out of the wing seams that you wouldn't believe after around 4 years, another friend did a mini clubman shell and had the same problem with the original rust free bootlid.

#6 minimotion

minimotion

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

Is the blasting kind to the straight parts of panels aswell as removing filler rust etc?

#7 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

There could be issues with overheating panels and causing warping, alot is down to operator use.

What are you wanted it blasted with? Several media options available.

#8 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:44 PM

I had my MG midget body blasted and the results were very good although it took a lot blowing through with an air line  to get the media out. It was done on the isle of wight and the guy was really dedicated

I was concerned about wrapping the panels but also didn't want it dipped for the reasons mentioned above

#9 minimotion

minimotion

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:03 AM

unsure as to what media basically which ever does the best job without ruining already good panels

#10 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

Soda probably. I would avoid dipping

There's no need to blast the large flat areas unless you suspect damage. Go round the edges and seams and let the bodyshop flat the paint or use a chemical stripper if you want a bare metal job.

I wouldn't bother with an e coat either. A decent epoxy primer is better in my view

Merv

#11 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

There's a company south of Bristol called BlastingDiePast that does a lot of VW camper work and has a good reputation for blasting. 

The pro's and cons of blasting versus dipping are frequently argued, dipping should in theory be kinder to thin panels but there is the possibility of the acid remaining in seams and causing problems later if not fully neutralised. However blasting doesn't clean in the seams at all and spraying primer may not penetrate the seams and closed sections as well as E coat.

Both are a lot more expensive (@£1500 ?) than manually sanding but do move a project forward more quickly once you've had the treatment(s)

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

All we do is use a 2ib mallet head to test the floor, if it goes through it gets plated, rest of the shell is either 40 grit sanded over nitromors'd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users