6 replies to this topic

#1 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Decided to  "pimp"  my mini..............just because I have a little time on my hands. decided to get a couple of 12v |sequential LED strip light turn signal silicone strips. ( A poor version of the Audi ones )

Here's the rub.......tried em out by picking up initially the o/p feed from the direction indicator unit, LG/BR wire....works a treat.

Decided to fit the strip in the top of the boot lid so that when I indicated left or right as well as my rear indicators flashing then the strip would also operate along the top of the lid, independent strips, one for right one for left.

I decided to mount the strip behind the boot lip, drill 15 or so holes along the lip, waterproof the holes with clear mastic and the run the wires, there are only two, one input one ground, directly into the feed either G/R or G/W of my rear indicator bulb holders.................switch on ....Zilch  !!!! 

The standard indicators work fine, I used a test probe and obviously have a feed into the relevant  indicator housing/junction/unit as it works a it should  BUT when I try to join or touch the new sequence indicator input feed in NOTHING HAPPENS...

Is this something to do with the LED,s  being too small a load ????

When I use a test bulb everthing works fine however even if I join the LED wires with the test bulb wires ONLY the test bulb and of course the vehicle's indicators work...... Appreciate a tad bit of guidance please.

It would have been perhaps easier just to buy an Audi R8 Spyder Quattro and save naffing about......

Edited by splintercat, 21 November 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#2 Milton

Milton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: what no brakes

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

So what did you do ?

#3 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

So what did you do ?

Still stuck mate haven't got a clue as to what to do next....................................apart from save up for the Audi lol.............looking for some help   BUT  will try taking a feed from the direction indicator unit itself.... and take it from there.

Wow just realised that your frrom Northampton too...........small world bud.

Edited by splintercat, 21 November 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

you are not clear in how you are wiring them. you do have the correct wire to the positive.

and you have a good earth (not the boot lid).

all wired up and the indicator works bur the LED does not. remove bulb and what happens?

presuming you have wired them in Parallel.

#5 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:20 PM

you are not clear in how you are wiring them. you do have the correct wire to the positive.

and you have a good earth (not the boot lid).

all wired up and the indicator works bur the LED does not. remove bulb and what happens?

presuming you have wired them in Parallel.

Sorry about that let me explain.........have to reply like this as if I try to use the reply FACILITY it doesn't work....so I can only quote ???

Got the LED strip.....has two wires on   1...yellow live         1......black ground.

when I try this unit out by picking up a feed directly from the flasher can using the L terminal  to yellow       and grounding the black       everything works fine a lovely strip of amber LED's

However when i try to wire them  directly at the rear of the car, ie  by joining them in parallel with the respective rear indicator and picking up a direct feed to it  and using a really good earth.....ZILCHO   If i use a test bulb instead of the LED strip everything works................ EVEN when I use the test bulb and the  LED strip  together....I still only get the test bulb working NOT the LED strip..

I am sure by doing this I am just putting them in parallel......................so stumped.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

so like I said what happens when you remove the bulb. do the LEDs work.

and type out side of the Quote box.

#7 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

so like I said what happens when you remove the bulb. do the LEDs work.

and type out side of the Quote box.

Nice one     didn't think of that................in reply    I don't know but I'll try it and see give me 10 mins tops.

Ok just done that ie took indicator bulb out......inevitable happens flasher go crazy and with the LED strip in instead of the indicator bulb ....it hardly lights up at all, it just lazily flickers about 5 of the LEDs rather than 25 of em.............looks like a VW Polo.

Edited by splintercat, 21 November 2017 - 05:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users