#1 Swifty75

Swifty75

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Hi All

I have an issue with a 94 mini that I cannot seem to get to track/steer properly.

I bought the car in Feb and it felt it steered to the left a little. I stupidly took it to a chain garage (should have know better) and they did the tracking for me. It was worse! The car would go straight when accelerating but pull quite a lot to the left when coasting.

Anyway I thought I would change the old rubber cones for coil springs. I changed these (done the front/still need to do the back) and thought I would sort out the front geometry whilst I was there. I thought that it might be a caster issue so set this up the best I could, however this lead to the wheels catching the arches (7x13 wheels and larger arches). Anyway after many hours trying to set this up I have about given up. I cannot seem to stop the car pulling to the left.

Does anyone know of the best person in the North Sheffield or surrounding area to do this, as all the garages nearby don't seem to want to do it as they do not have the knowhow.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:14 PM

it is not hard to set up any suspension even Halfords cant get it wrong if you know what you want.

changing to coil springs would not fix it.

so what have these places set you suspension to? scan your printout and post them up.

both of them.

#3 Swifty75

Swifty75

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

I have misplaced the print out, funnily enough it was Halfords, the lad did try but i am not sure he really knew what he was doing. Thought I would take it somewhere decent this time.

I didn't think that the changing to coil springs would 'fix it'. I thought that I might get it close but can't. Just looking for a garage that knows what they are doing.

#4 Swifty75

Swifty75

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

I have misplaced the print out, funnily enough it was Halfords, the lad did try but i am not sure he really knew what he was doing. Thought I would take it somewhere decent this time.

I didn't think that the changing to coil springs would 'fix it'. I thought that I might get it close but can't. Just looking for a garage that knows what they are doing.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

in that case give Watsons small car in Wakefield a call.

#6 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

It might be worth swapping the front wheels over left to right and seeing if that sorts it out, I have had this a few times with different cars over the years where the tracking is adjusted spot on but they still pull to the left.

I swapped the tyres over and hey presto problem gone, I reckon it must be something to do with the try wearing unevenly due to the tracking being out and when its been like it a while your stuck with this.

Just a thought, obviously don't do this if the tyres are directional and if it does solve your problem its probably better to replace the tyres rather than keep driving it like this.

#7 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

Another thing that is worth checking is to see if the track adjustment is equally adjusted on each side, by checking the length of thread showing at each track rod end, some garages tend to adjust one side to get the correct tracking.

#8 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

Another thing that is worth checking is to see if the track adjustment is equally adjusted on each side, by checking the length of thread showing at each track rod end, some garages tend to adjust one side to get the correct tracking.

True but on a mini it shouldn't make any difference as it would only mean the steering wheel isn't centred, as long as the distance between the track rod ends is correct the car would go straight.  This isn't the case on some modern cars with electric power steering as they have a centering sensor and if its off it can steer the car slightly (MGF's were notorious for this).

It is worth asking the OP, does the car pull to the left when you drive with your hands of the steering wheel or is it that it pulls to the left when you drive with the wheel straight, I assume its the former.

#9 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

It might be worth swapping the front wheels over left to right and seeing if that sorts it out, I have had this a few times with different cars over the years where the tracking is adjusted spot on but they still pull to the left.

I swapped the tyres over and hey presto problem gone, I reckon it must be something to do with the try wearing unevenly due to the tracking being out and when its been like it a while your stuck with this.

Just a thought, obviously don't do this if the tyres are directional and if it does solve your problem its probably better to replace the tyres rather than keep driving it like this.

Just done this. Had exactly the same problem as the OP, took the car for 3D alignment which improved it slightly but still an annoying pull to the left - swapped the front wheels over and hey presto straight as an arrow :D

The car was up on stands with the wheels off for ages so not surprising they got mixed up :shy:

#10 tamlamotown123

tamlamotown123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hi I had this problem can I suggest you check the tightness of both steering arms bolted to the hubs its a quick check

#11 Swifty75

Swifty75

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:08 PM

Thank you for the replies.

I have spoken to the guys at Watsons who said they will be able to sort it for me, so I have booked it in.

I think I have probably sent it so far of what it should be I don't think I could get it back!!

#12 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

The steering DOES need to be centred properly when setting the tracking and that is why there is a facility in the rack for removing a plug and inserting a 1/4" diameter rod to ensure it is centralised. If it is wrong, it does not just give you off-centred steering, it does actually give you a permanent version of what is normally bump steer, because the track rod inner ball joints are assymetric with respect to the lower arm pivots.

Failing to do that was probably the only mistake the guy made. It needs removal of a plug in the toeboard on the passenger side, and then a plug (early ones were metal, later plastic) in the rack, requiring an Allen key. Then you insert a 1/4" rod, such as the plain end of a drill (later racks may be metric, 6mm, but that will be sloppy on an early one, so I suggest trying 1/4" first) and wiggling the steering wheel till it goes in. Then the tracking is done, and it is a good time to also centre the steering wheel on its splines.

Daft accidents really do happen, so please do double check that the pin has been removed and plugs refitted before driving!

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:22 AM

and many rack now do not have this facility.

#14 Swifty75

Swifty75

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:07 PM

So I took it to Watsons. They have made it feel less like a run away tea trolley. It still pulls left badly though. They said that I need ajustsble lower arms to change the camber. I already have adjustable tie bars. Have other people experienced this, I would have thought that the standard lower arms would have given the correct camber?

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:05 AM

So I took it to Watsons. They have made it feel less like a run away tea trolley. It still pulls left badly though. They said that I need ajustsble lower arms to change the camber. I already have adjustable tie bars. Have other people experienced this, I would have thought that the standard lower arms would have given the correct camber?

nope. They are often way off as standard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users