r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

Where's the garage??

Maybe a member nearby can make a test purchase and check?

#17 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

Did you pay by credit card, if the retailer isn't overly helpful can you raise a dispute with the transaction with your card provider?

#18 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:04 AM

If it was some sort of vapour lock it could be untraceable and venting from their storage tanks means they'll always have unauditable losses. 

#19 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

I put about 6 1/2 litres in a green gallon can in Tesco Stafford when in first opened, the lady serving wasn't interested. I paid but never used that filing station again.

#20 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

I put about 6 1/2 litres in a green gallon can in Tesco Stafford when in first opened, the lady serving wasn't interested. I paid but never used that filing station again.

I got 6 litres into one of my 5 litre cans, came home and measured it (using a paint mixing cup) and it was as near as I could tell 6 litres.  I think although they are stamped 5 litres they do hold a bit more, maybe for expansion with temperature or something?

#21 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

Yeah the gauge is well below the top finishing at 5 litres, but I'd got another 1500ml in with a bit of room to spare without spilling a drop.

#22 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:30 PM

I got 6 litres into one of my 5 litre cans, came home and measured it (using a paint mixing cup) and it was as near as I could tell 6 litres.  I think although they are stamped 5 litres they do hold a bit more, maybe for expansion with temperature or something?

yes in this case i don't think it will be the pump, those plastic cans have loads of additional space to account for expansion. Certainly when ever i fill one it always opens with a hiss.

I've not heard anything from Esso despite several more emails being sent. I will be phoning on Monday to try and get this sorted. The car did 262 miles on the fuel ( normally does over 600 on a full tank) and that took the gauge to the stop. I then filled at my usual tesco and got 51 litres in it (so still had 4litres in it). I've taken pics of the mileage and gauge positions to try and prove my point so let's see what happens. May not be a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things but it's money i really can afford to loose at the moment. Made worse by the disgusting attitude of the filling station owner/manager. 

#23 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:40 PM

Good luck

#24 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

Am I missing something? If your tank is 55litres and you have a receipt for 58, can you not just submit that in a letter and ask for it to be looked at? Id also have got a photo of the fuel gauge before leaving the petrol station with the receipt next to it. Time stamp it as well (although meta data, if phoneaccurate, would have been recorded u less turned off).

#25 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

Sorry hadnt read all the responses regarding getting more in a small jerry can. Id still be following up in writing. Also report them to the appropriate authority and let them investigate. Youd almost have been better off just letting it go until it clicked off. You might squeeze 58 in a 55litre tank but you certainly wouldnt squeeze 90 plus!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users