#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

This footage from West Midlands Police shows two men pulling up outside a victim's house in the Elmdon area of Solihull.

The pair steal the car without needing to see the owner's keys.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...aught-on-camera

Edited by mab01uk, 28 November 2017 - 11:04 PM.

#2 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

The more sophisticated the car gets the more opportunities like this arise.

I accidentally hacked my neighbours smart meter while trying to set up my new smart meter through my phone. I now know so much about the comings and goings from that house and when its empty etc just. Lucky Im not a burglar!!

Identity theft is another simple thing to stop but we all live with new gadgets and give our details out so freely in the name of saving a few seconds.
Well that keyless entry system that saves 2 seconds maybe? Just cost them the car and inevitably all our premiums rise to pay for this type of crime.

Now the police are advising steering wheel locks again... you know those funny 80s things that were meant to protect the xr3 etc lol. Look how far car security has come in 30 years? Its now faster to steal a car. These guys were gone before the owner would have even got his pants on!

Edited by minihobbymini, 27 November 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

West Midlands Police crime reduction team, said:
"To protect against this type of theft, owners can use an additional tested and Thatcham-approved steering lock to cover the entire steering wheel".

Should give those 'old fashioned' Disklok sales a boost!  :lol:

Steering wheel locks: 2016 group test
Ironically, it was electronic security that left devices like steering wheel locks redundant, as immobilisers improved, and stopped thieves in their tracks. Now, those electronic systems can be hacked quickly and quietly with kit bought online. Hacking gives thieves keyless entry, ready to drive the car away or load on to a truck.
Yet an old-fashioned steering lock can persuade a hi-tech crook to look elsewhere. And the basics remain the same as in our first tests in the mid-nineties – usually a bright colour so thieves notice them, then a way to stop wheel, gearlever or pedals being moved to allow the car to be driven.
http://www.autoexpre...2016-group-test

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

I accidentally hacked my neighbours smart meter while trying to set up my new smart meter through my phone. I now know so much about the comings and goings from that house and when its empty etc just. Lucky Im not a burglar!!

Identity theft is another simple thing to stop but we all live with new gadgets and give our details out so freely in the name of saving a few seconds.
Well that keyless entry system that saves 2 seconds maybe? Just cost them the car and inevitably all our premiums rise to pay for this type of crime.

Now the police are advising steering wheel locks again... you know those funny 80s things that were meant to protect the xr3 etc lol. Look how far car security has come in 30 years? Its now faster to steal a car. These guys were gone before the owner would have even got his pants on!

And my friends laugh at me for being a dinosaur  :lol: 

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

it has been known about for years but this is the first time i have seen it.

#6 Allrounder

Allrounder

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Hereford Motor Club

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

Shocking to see how easy it was. A friend had his 3month old golf GTi taken from a car park on Saturday night when visiting Birmingham. Police think the the thieves were close by when he locked it to pick up the transponder code!

I've heard the focus st and rs have been taken using the eobd ports and owners have been hiding them to prevent them being taken.

Think a steering lock is a must now more than ever or as I said to him, a hidden switch for the fuel pump!

You alway think it won't happen to you.

#7 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

And my friends laugh at me for being a dinosaur  :lol:

I’m old and frightened... but I do get great joy from worthers originals and complaining about noise lol

#8 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

Over on this side of the pond, cars with stick shift are becoming safer from theft since most people can only drive automatics. 

The best theft defeat is the unintentional. My dad had many years ago 1971 Toyota Corona and he had done some work in the engine compartment and he was happy with the results. That night, the car was stolen. Next morning, the car was gone and he called the cops expecting never to see the car again. About an hour later the cops called him saying that they had found the car not too far away. He picked up the car and to his surprise, the car was fine except for a busted door lock. So, it was puzzling why the thieves dumped the car. But he found out soon enough the next time he tried to drive the car at night. After working on the car, he forgot to tighten the battery terminals. The car would start and run fine, but as soon as the headlights were turned on the engine would quit!    

#9 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

I've got Stop Locks in both my old cars, you need to pay the extra for the Thatcham Pro version though, they remain one of the best on the market if you read up about them, the cheaper one is useless. Theres a guy at a place I work at with a Disclock on his Focus ST, I can see why.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:47 PM

This keyless start system is so stupid.

I read of a guy whose wife took her husband's car to the supermarket whilst he was doing some gardening.

She thought she had the correct contactless fob in her purse as the car started, but after she came out of the supermarket with a trolley full of shopping she couldn't get the car to start. What had happened was her husband was gardening right next to the car with the correct fob in his pocket! The one she had was not the spare fob, but a fob for her car.

One might think that this is a system fashion which won't last long.

#11 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:06 AM

Bring back keys thats what I say lol .

#12 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

This was demonstrated back in 2011 in the US, so the manufactures have had plenty of time to implement a fix. 

Shame the 26 or so car producers impacted cannot be bothered to solve it, it's only a software update to decrease the time the key / car waits for a response.

A temporary fix is to put they keys in a Faraday cage, somebody said the fridge would work well (not that portable!), maybe even an old crisp packet?

#13 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

This was demonstrated back in 2011 in the US, so the manufactures have had plenty of time to implement a fix. 

Shame the 26 or so car producers impacted cannot be bothered to solve it, it's only a software update to decrease the time the key / car waits for a response.

A temporary fix is to put they keys in a Faraday cage, somebody said the fridge would work well (not that portable!), maybe even an old crisp packet?

I don't think a fridge is a good idea, the keys may get damp.

Somethig like this would be good though

http://www.ebay.co.u...738.m2548.l4275

#14 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

They like many other manufacturers in other fields don't seem to care about making a good product, just one that appears to work.

How many smart devices, routers and other stuff have been found to contain more serious security holes than actual features?  It's ridiculous!

I wonder how long it will be before someone starts a huge lawsuit against them for the obviously negligent security measures?

#15 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

They like many other manufacturers in other fields don't seem to care about making a good product, just one that appears to work.

How many smart devices, routers and other stuff have been found to contain more serious security holes than actual features?  It's ridiculous!

I wonder how long it will be before someone starts a huge lawsuit against them for the obviously negligent security measures?

I wonder how long before insurance companies start putting clauses into policies regarding properly securing keys?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users