20 replies to this topic

#1 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

Hi need help please before the red mist and big hammer take over any of my self control  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: trying to figure out why I cant get the drivers side wing lower to the scuttle tried everything, the door gap on the A panel is acceptable, so I just tac welded to hold for the correct gap but this seems to want to push up the wing very slightly. Please see pics any pointers or advice from anyone who has encountered this thanks in advance and yes I've trawled through several project on TMF to look how people have triumphed over the tedious mini front end.Attached File  IMAG0746.jpg   40.78K   9 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0747.jpg   28.28K   8 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0748.jpg   47.25K   6 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0749.jpg   57.17K   3 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0750.jpg   45.91K   4 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0751.jpg   38.88K   3 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0752.jpg   43.79K   4 downloads    

Edited by I hate Brian, 27 November 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:09 PM

Is there any contact between the return under the rear of the wing and the lip on the scuttle??

Can you post a picture of the side of the car so we can see the swage line from the rear quarter panel, through the door and onto the A panel.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

I had this issue in the past. It was the scuttle.

I had to reshape the end to suit the wing. I thought It was just a dodgy scuttle and a one off but obviously not

#4 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

Hi Neil I have altered this swage on both the scuttle and the wing, if you look at the pics the wing seems tight in one spot? passenger side no problem ??

Attached File  IMAG0753.jpg   19.03K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0754.jpg   35.05K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0756.jpg   33.29K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0755.jpg   38.19K   5 downloads

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

It does look like the wing contour to scuttle contour is slightly out. Plus the top edge of the rear of the wing looks slightly bulged.

I would release the A panel to wing flange and push down slightly. Now you may have to do what i did on my passenger A panel and section it down the seam. This allowed me to maintain my door gap and at the same time also allowed the wing to sit slightly lower. Now i know its a clubby but the process is the same. 

#6 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the info gents I will try tonight, I've had the doors off god knows how many times to get the correct gap which is good passenger side but drivers is a complete nightmare. What I don't understand is the A panel and wing are out so much ?

#7 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

Hi managed to get the drivers wing down to near as possible to the passenger, but ended up with the mis-alignment of the wheel arch / A panel

Attached File  IMAG0757.jpg   42.12K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0758.jpg   41.82K   3 downloads

]Attached File  IMAG0759.jpg   35.29K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0760.jpg   42K   0 downloads

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:34 PM

Just looking at the picture i feel the issue is the wing. You can see a bulge in the wing where it follows the contour of the scuttle.

The l/h wing has a nice upper contour whereas the right does not. Now where you have it pulled down the top of the A panel does not follow the edge of the wing let alone the wheel arch curve.

#9 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

Hi Neil any ideas on how to rectify ??

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

Some thoughts.

Looking again whats the gap like at the rear of the bonnet to the wing. Does that taper??

If it does i would try and straighten that out by forcing the wing over a bit more. BUT before that i would try and sort the top of the wing out first. it does look a little distorted, so deal with that before anything else.

You may have to pinch in the rear of the wing where it attaches to the A panel. The small return there can be beaten back carefully using a hammer and dolly. That should allow the wing to go further over to the bonnet and at the same time with some careful manipulation rise up slightly. This should then hopefully bring the arch line back in and also allow the rear of the wing to match the top of the A panel.

Hopefully this makes sense.

#11 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

I think I've got your idea and will give it a try

#12 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

To me it looks like you are trying to go too low around the scuttle, near the A panel. 

#13 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

Even your passenger side looks too low to me.

#14 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Well that's just cost £105.00 drivers-side wing distorted tried everything even releasing the scuttle closing plate to see if any tension there,dressing the curve that follows the scuttle to re-shape and no further on with alignment, so the big hammer got the better of me F**king fuming.

Anyone want a laugh I'll post the flattened wing  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Edited by I hate Brian, 29 November 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#15 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

do it!  :lol:

Sorry to hear. Sometimes they can be a pain

Not a great picture but you can see the slight hammer marks on the scuttle corner where I had to reshape it as it was completely different to the other side and the wing wouldn't follow it at all

MCWIFUG.jpg

But by the time it was tidied up and prepped, it looked ok

wKjXMiw.jpg

Sometimes the form of some of the heritage panels is quite a bit out. 

Ben

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users