#16 minitalia1275

minitalia1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Local Club: MiniFriendsTorino

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

It proves Miglia's point...they do like new plugs !...did you gap them all ?   have you checked the valve clearances ?
New condensor fitted ?
Wondering if its the grade of plug with it being colder air than 'normal'....

On Std 998 we use NGK BP5ES, not sure what plugs you run ?

The valve clearance was done recently and rechecked yesterday, no problem there.
The plugs have the correct gap. I am using bp6es at the moment but I have just bought bp5es and will try them later today.
Thanks

#17 minitalia1275

minitalia1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

Unfortunately the problem hasn't been resolved. New spark plugs fitted but still fouling on one cylinder and running on three. When I fit another dry plug, all is fine.
So far I have fitted new plugs, HT leads distributor cap. Carb and timing spot on. Compression perfect.

Just thinking outside the box, when you say it's wet, are you sure it's wet with petrol. What's your oil consumption, I'm thinking about a leaking valve stem oil seal?

Yes, it could well be oil, I had never removed the head to check the valves or seals.
My only doubts about it being oil is that it only happens when it is very cold. It never happened once in summer.
Thanks

#18 minitalia1275

minitalia1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Problem finally resolved. I replaced the HT lead going to the problematic cylinder and the car instantly ran much better. No problem this morning when starting up.
The HT leads (Intermotor) were brand new but one was faulty!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users