Photo
- - - - -

Indicator & Main Beam, Cross Feeding?

Best Answer Club man , 03 December 2017 - 01:35 PM

There was a little tab in the front indicator housing comming from the bulb holder, when I touched this tab to the mounting screw the indicators went out I suppose earthing the light to the body. I'm not sure how it's been earthing itself up till last week but this has sorted it, the indicators where later model ones from the loom so had to be a little bodged on to meet the body holes.

Thanks for the help on here though guys, it narrowed it right down to an earth point somewhere there just needed a good fiddle about

Cheers Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Club man

Club man

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

So, after 45 minutes driving in the dark all working fine my right hand indicators illuminated themselves (not fully just faintly) and my right hand main beam dimmed and looks very weak.

Was all working perfectly and nothing been touched recently.

I have had all the light fuses out and none affected it other than if I remove a headlight one the indicator lights up even more.

I have removed the bulbs and checked the multi plugs.

I also swapped all the relays round and still the same.

When you turn on the headlamp the indicators slowly illuminate over 2 or 3 seconds also shows on dash as indicator on.

This is an injection loom retro fitted to an 89, the only mods to the loom was an srs removal and headlamp motors removed and all been working great.

Any ideas much appreciated, thanks

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

First thing I would be looking at is all your earths and making sure they're clean. Next, check the voltage your alternator is producing when the engine is running, as it could be low on power. Does the car crank ok on start?

#3 Club man

Club man

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

First thing I would be looking at is all your earths and making sure they're clean. Next, check the voltage your alternator is producing when the engine is running, as it could be low on power. Does the car crank ok on start?

Hi Steve

Earths have all been cleaned up and an extra engine to body one added a few months ago when it was finished, and it's a new alternator, been starting lovely

Ta

Edited by Club man, 29 November 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,412 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

Almost certainly an earth fault. I take it that was with headlights, but no indicators?

Try the indicators and hazards without headights, also see if high and dip behave the same, also sidelights. 

If it's an earthing point it'll affect everything that shares it, the sidelights and indicators provide an alternative route to earth via the rear bulbs, provided they aren't on. An alternative is shorting at the bulb holder of damaged headlight wiring where it passes through  headlamp bowls or body panels, but it doesn't so readily explain the weird indicators.

#5 Club man

Club man

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

Almost certainly an earth fault. I take it that was with headlights, but no indicators?

Try the indicators and hazards without headights, also see if high and dip behave the same, also sidelights. 

If it's an earthing point it'll affect everything that shares it, the sidelights and indicators provide an alternative route to earth via the rear bulbs, provided they aren't on. An alternative is shorting at the bulb holder of damaged headlight wiring where it passes through  headlamp bowls or body panels, but it doesn't so readily explain the weird indicators.

Hi Ethel

I have tried in different ways

With the lights off the indicators/hazards work fine

With sidelights on both the sidelights and the indicators are fine

When the main beam goes on the right indicators illuminate solid and the main beam dims

Are you saying to add an earth to a bulb to test the circuit?

Many thanks

#6 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

Have you tried swapping out the headlamp bulb? Might have failed internally.

But that is a typical earthing problem.

Edited by gazza82, 29 November 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,412 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:56 AM

Hi Ethel

I have tried in different ways

With the lights off the indicators/hazards work fine

With sidelights on both the sidelights and the indicators are fine - could be concurrent with poor earth, not so much current and similar(ish) bulb resistances allowing closer voltage drops.

When the main beam goes on the right indicators illuminate solid and the main beam dims - ditto, if there's a poor earth shared on the right, the headlamp current will go up the earth to the indicator and through the bulbs to find the earth for the rear lights. 2 X 21w bulbs adds resistance that makes the headlamp dim. The indicator has much less resistance to overcome finding earth through the headlights and won't pass enough current to light the headlamps noticeably. 

Are you saying to add an earth to a bulb to test the circuit? You could open the headlight and provide an alternate earth,or you could trace through 

Many thanks

#8 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:42 AM

Would be good to do all your fault finding with a multimeter hooked up to check voltages/ voltage drop to help you work out what is going on. I would also check for a short circuit somewhere. Sorry to sound a bit vague but electrical gremlins can be a pain to track down. Having a helper to assist you makes it so much easier...  

#9 Club man

Club man

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

Have you tried swapping out the headlamp bulb? Might have failed internally.

But that is a typical earthing problem.

Cheers, I'll give that a little try later, yes is sounding earthy

#10 Club man

Club man

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

Would be good to do all your fault finding with a multimeter hooked up to check voltages/ voltage drop to help you work out what is going on. I would also check for a short circuit somewhere. Sorry to sound a bit vague but electrical gremlins can be a pain to track down. Having a helper to assist you makes it so much easier...  

Thanks, I do have a multi meter, but find electrics a bit confusing, might have to get in YouTube to find out how to use it better I think

#11 Club man

Club man

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:35 PM   Best Answer

There was a little tab in the front indicator housing comming from the bulb holder, when I touched this tab to the mounting screw the indicators went out I suppose earthing the light to the body. I'm not sure how it's been earthing itself up till last week but this has sorted it, the indicators where later model ones from the loom so had to be a little bodged on to meet the body holes.

Thanks for the help on here though guys, it narrowed it right down to an earth point somewhere there just needed a good fiddle about

Cheers

Edited by Club man, 03 December 2017 - 01:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users