#1 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

I've been thinking about getting a cover for the Mini for ages and as the weather forecast promised hail, rain and snow for next week I took the plunge. I bought a Stormforce cover for my Morris Traveller but was very disappointed with it last year, the car suffered almost as much under it as it did exposed to the elements so I got a Bike Home off Ebay. Normally they are a BIN but a couple have been auctioned off recently and I got it for considerably less than the BIN - happy boy :D

So this morning the box arrived, it's the larger verision made to house a trike.

Big box

b4Ma4DL.jpg

Body bag inside

rEEOKcQ.jpg

With this lot in it

4IKs5cc.jpg

Going here, not a lot of room

LklU1Km.jpg

Frame together. Most of it comes ready assembled with just the top hoops to click into place and two brace bars to attach

gjkU3OY.jpg

Cover is held on with velcro, easily strong enough

WuqlNXB.jpg

xwFxOi0.jpg

45OnZxQ.jpg

Still a bit of room but couldn't reverse in any more as the car doors hit the folded frame of the cover

WYKEgWr.jpg

It fits, one headlight just touching the cover but there would be more clearance if you drove in front first

MVjTsfu.jpg

Snug as a bug, taken through one of the vent flaps

QknthPb.jpg

I've since moved it over six inches so both sides of the frame are on the slabs and still have enough room to easily get down the side.

Very impressed with the cover, I was expecting the skin to be made of similar stuff to the Stormforce covers but it's much heavier and robust. Obviously I'll have to move it when the camper comes out but it's only a few screws holding it down and two people could move it safely without causing any damage.

gAX1MWO.jpg

Edited by panky, 05 December 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#2 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

Nice....

#3 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

I'd love one of these but because of where it would have to go on the drive it'd look daft once closed. Only other way is to just keep it closed at night times.

#4 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

You would soon get used to it ;D

I'm lucky as I have a big pair of gates to hide it behind.

#5 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Had mine up about 2 weeks now. Look on one of the hoops about halfway across on the outer side for a hole drilled. Put some tape or something else to cover it as it wore the waterproof surface on mine in less than a week. Terrific condensation with mine as well. Waiting to here back from Seller (his Supplier as well) to see if it was a faulty material or not. Keep a close watch on yours.
Had to but all new ground fixings as the supplied ones were rubbish. Exactly the same as yours, motif on the sides.

Attached Files

Edited by whistler, 05 December 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#6 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out tomorrow and tie back the vent flaps. I didn't bother with the ground bolts, used plugs and screws instead.

Out of interest what surface is yours mounted on?

#7 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out tomorrow and tie back the vent flaps. I didn't bother with the ground bolts, used plugs and screws instead.
Out of interest what surface is yours mounted on?

900 x 600 concrete paving. Used every fixing hole as it'll go like an umbrella if the wind gets under it.

#8 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

Mines pretty sheltered where it is and it's on a slope so shouldn't get any water pooling on the ground inside. I think I'll make something to hold the front down though, the padlock brackets do look a bit flimsy.

Edit

Just seen you pics, not good, I will definitely keep an eye on things and report back.

Edited by panky, 05 December 2017 - 05:29 PM.

#9 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

http://www.theminifo...-a-tent-garage/

I have been looking for a cover for my Mini GT but was unsure if it would fit, I did bid on one on e bay last night but the bidding went silly and sold for £127 which is only £13 off the full price.

I might hold off purchasing one after reading whistlers post, grateful if you could update on how they hold up in bad weather

#10 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

Not a fan at all, sorry. You'll introduce terrible problems with condensation

#11 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Time for an update on this.

After whistlers recommendations I checked out the frame and found holes on every section, presumably somethting to do with the coating process, so I wrapped duct tape over each one to mask any rough edges that could damage the cover - so far so good with this.

A couple of days after I installed the Trike Home the weather turned really nasty, rain then hail then snow and sub zero temperatures for a week or so. The car stayed under the cover for most of the time and stayed dry. Once the thaw set in, however, condensation did appear on the inside where ice was slowly thawing on the outside, it was extreme conditions so I wasn't really surprised, but very little actually dripped onto the car. That was until I pulled the cover back to check the car :shy:  Still it faired 99.99% better than it would have done if left outside.

I wiped the inside down, dried the car off and boxed it back up again and have had very little problem with condensation since but I do check it regularly and if I see anything it gets a quick wipe.

It is a snug fit, even tighter as I've re-fitted the spot lamp bar, but I've found that reversing in slightly to one side gives enough room to open car the door to and clear the lamps (just) when the cover closes. One extra bonus I found this morning is that it deflects broken roof tiles when they blow off the house and save the cars roof from getting damaged - I'll let you know how the duct tape repairs last on the cover :(

#12 JBW

JBW

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:38 PM

I'm into my 2nd winter with  a Trike home, does keep the car pretty dry, but mine has suffered severe damage in gales (in South Westerly winds) one in a nearby village that's in a more sheltered position appears to still be ok.

I had to purchase a replacement cover, but even at £65, its far cheaper than renting a garage some distance away. Advantage is its much quicker to use than a normal car cover, possibly more secure, as can use a padlock on each side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users