6 replies to this topic

#1 Dodds1990

Dodds1990

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

a member on here has recomened i ask about information on how to convert an spi engine to a carb engine as it is something im looking in to doing.

can anyone give me up to date information on how to do this and be able to give me a list of all the parts i will need to do this conversion

thank you :D 

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

Hiya fella 😁

I'm sure from previous threads you'll need:

An electronic dizzy(with vacuum advance)
Inlet manifold and carb (ideal time to fit a stage one kit)
Mechanical fuel pump and new lines

You can plumb the fuel overflow from the carb to the fuel return pipe.

Someone will be along soon to correct us 😂

#3 Dodds1990

Dodds1990

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

no doubt they will I'm definitely thinking about doing it tho

#4 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

You will also need an mot station with a dodgy gas analyser

#5 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

If you search there'll be lots of detailed results on the topic...  - but take note of warning above re MOT the job has been done many times but there is the theoretical issue.....

It's been a while since I did this but....above is about right for starters - you'll need a new inlet manifold with a vac take off for your brake servo - the MG metro inlet is about the best OE one...

I like using OE parts wherever possible -  the electronic dizzy on the spi one is "dumb"a 59DM4 (rare)  or  65DM4 (pop up on ebay regularly)  but your coil will be fine..

My memory may be faulty here - but I don't think the spi cam has the lobe to drive a mechanical fuel pump - so I used a facet cube type (nothing fancy only 3-4 psi needed)  with a regulator - you've already got an inertia switch in the spi loom (ended up swapping the cam to a 266)....

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:57 PM

If you search there'll be lots of detailed results on the topic...  - but take note of warning above re MOT the job has been done many times but there is the theoretical issue.....

It's been a while since I did this but....above is about right for starters - you'll need a new inlet manifold with a vac take off for your brake servo - the MG metro inlet is about the best OE one...

I like using OE parts wherever possible -  the electronic dizzy on the spi one is "dumb"a 59DM4 (rare)  or  65DM4 (pop up on ebay regularly)  but your coil will be fine..

My memory may be faulty here - but I don't think the spi cam has the lobe to drive a mechanical fuel pump - so I used a facet cube type (nothing fancy only 3-4 psi needed)  with a regulator - you've already got an inertia switch in the spi loom (ended up swapping the cam to a 266)....

65DM4 is factory original for the last of the carb cars

#7 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:48 PM

You will also need an mot station with a dodgy gas analyser

Or a good friendly mot man...ways and means

You may as well go the whole hog and dump the exhaust cat too, as they do nothing for power.

The spi cam will have the fuel pump lobe for a mechanical pump.

As above the MG manifold and HIF44 carb takes some beating, just make sure the carb is not too used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users