2 replies to this topic

#1 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

Ok ,     I have decided to ditch my Alpha Romeo leather seats i favour of going back to basics and putting back in a set of Mk 2 seats, they just seem to suit the car more and I believe they are more comfortable......However,  and there is always a however, I am now struggling with the seat belt issue. I have a 4 point harness set up with the AR leathers and where the straps go over my shoulders and are secured at the rear when I replace them with old Mk2  seats this set up isn't gonna work ?  The straps just slip off.....from my shoulders as there is nothing to restrain them...

Recon I need a bit of advice here. I don't want to get rid of the harnesses but don't know how to sort this issue out?

#2 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

If they slip off when fastened you don't have them tightened properly or the mount points are in the wrong position? Unless they are almost uncomfortably tight they will not work properly in a shunt and you will submarine right under the lap belt, hence the use of crutch straps in racing cars. In a road car you will be better protected by a three point belt as they effectively control that by allowing the torso to rotate.  

#3 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

If they slip off when fastened you don't have them tightened properly or the mount points are in the wrong position? Unless they are almost uncomfortably tight they will not work properly in a shunt and you will submarine right under the lap belt, hence the use of crutch straps in racing cars. In a road car you will be better protected by a three point belt as they effectively control that by allowing the torso to rotate.  

I do have them mounted correctly, it's just that as I am reverting back to retro seats without any headrests and in hindsight  maybe they just aren't a suitable option. Phew !  does sound a little crazy that, I mean why would anyone take out Leather Alpha Romeo reclining adjustable seats and 4 point harnesses to replace with old Mk2 Vinyl ones.......some things only the Gods know the answer to. Oh yeah and the missus....... as all this stuff is just piling up in the garage space reserved for her car, ooops sorry bout that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users