• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Yesterday I was towing an empty glider trailer (not mine I must add), having just off-loaded the glider, when on a straight country road there was a structural failure.

The A-frame on the (very long) trailer at the end of which the tow hook is fitted had a total fatigue failure at the front face of the trailer and after a loud bang I lifted off and found the trailer overtaking me, attached by just the long brake cable!

Fortunately, as the trailer was 'leaning' against the side of the Land Rover I drove into the shallow ditch and stopped.

No damage to my Discovery and just the need to recover the trailer. The police officer who attended was very helpful. I had to call the police as the trailer was causing an obstruction and I had o get it taken away before it got dark. The policeman called a recovery service with whom they are contracted and the cost of recovery was a very reasonable £250 plus £150 to take it to the gliding club instead of the recovery company yard.

I've had better days  :D .

#2 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

Lucky escape, could have been a different story had the glider still been on board. Glad you're OK

#3 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:07 PM

A lucky escape indeed but also a lesson? Always inspect the rig before driving away especially when it's an unknown trailer.

#4 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Owner of the glider must have been quite relieved the trailer was empty when it decided to come apart.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

I have since had a look at the trailer and have designed a repair scheme. It was a straightforwsrd fatigue failure at the point of maximum bending stress. It looked fine before failure and even a detailed inspection would havebeen unlikely to show any problem.
Luckily we had just unloaded the glider and were returning to our gliding club.
Going to fix the trailer on Thursday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users