TheJadedStoic

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local Club: Mid Week Minis

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

Hi All,

I've got a few questions that I was wondering get answered.

At some point next year I plan on rebuilding my engine as I think the cylinders are bore washed, as a result I also want to change from a 5 port to a 7 port. I want to do this for a few reasons;

It looks amazing
The torque curve is very impressive and isn't to bad for town driving
Its much cheaper than 8 port and 16v (Keeping it A series still)
Twin Webers (this should be enough in its self)

The plan is to buy the 7 port head from SC (SC216-001), I believe they also sell the Weber manifold. I have 2 45's at the moment sat waiting (They were originally bought for my beetle but hey-ho) so that's the carbs stored however I still need to work out how to link the 2 together, which  brings me to the first problem...

With beetles linking 2 Webers together is quite simple as Dellorto sell a kit for it, sadly they don't for a mini.

My thinking is get the Weber Throttle Linkage Kit from MED as this will link both the carb chokes together (Note not both carbs together) however I am confused on how to link both carbs together - Does anyone know where I can get a linkage kit that links both carbs together rather than just the chokes?

Lastly, does anyone know where to get the throttle cable for a 7 port, I simply fail to believe the standard 1275 throttle cable will work on a 7 port engine.

Any help on this would be great!

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

The 7 port is a great conversion. If you're building a track warrior revving to 9,000 the 45's will be great. If you're going to run it on the road the 45's will be too big. You'll end up with next to no torque. You've got enough time to look round for some 40's and perhaps do a swap.

There are plenty of universal throttle cables on the web.

#3 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

If you think outside of A series ie Ford then all linkage kits work for twin side drafts, but for my money I would sell the 45's ( big for a A series anyway ) and go for fi with a programmable ecu . You could use bike throttle bodies for a cheaper set up which are very popular in the tuning world.

Shooter

#4 TheJadedStoic

TheJadedStoic

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:29 PM

If you think outside of A series ie Ford then all linkage kits work for twin side drafts, but for my money I would sell the 45's ( big for a A series anyway ) and go for fi with a programmable ecu . You could use bike throttle bodies for a cheaper set up which are very popular in the tuning world.

Shooter

I was thinking of using a Beetle kit as the base line but using a Ford kit (As they sit much closer) would be a much more sensible idea!

I would also like to go for throttle bodies however the extra 2k costs are really off putting. I'm tempted to run my car for a year and put it on after the inital costs? 

The 7 port is a great conversion. If you're building a track warrior revving to 9,000 the 45's will be great. If you're going to run it on the road the 45's will be too big. You'll end up with next to no torque. You've got enough time to look round for some 40's and perhaps do a swap.

~Thanks for the advise. My plan is to use the mini for Hill Climbs in the long run which is why I thought the 45's. I only mentioned the road use as I'm part of a club and I sometimes show my face!

For more bottom end drive ability, perhaps Webers 40's would be better!

Thanks for the advise both!

~Thanks for the advise. My plan is to use the mini for Hill Climbs in the long run which is why I thought the 45's. I only mentioned the road use as I'm part of a club and I sometimes show my face!

For more bottom end drive ability, perhaps Webers would be better!

Thanks for the advise!

#5 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

If you're going to use it for anything other that flat out track work the 45's will be too large. The 40's are a great compromise and give that unmistakable Weber bark. Personally I'd go for a programmable ECU with bike carbs and injection for the economy answer and throttle bodies and injectors for a more expensive option. 

#6 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

If you're going to the expense of a 7port head it would seem pointless to fit carbs in my opinion. The ease of tune and control of fuelling you have with injection is far superior. Take advantage of four ports and go EFI.

Phil.

#7 TheJadedStoic

TheJadedStoic

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

Lovely, thanks all of you. My mind has been made up;

Install a single Weber 45 on a 6" Manifold (Yes I am aware I have to cut in to the bulk head) - I will do this to at least listen to the Weber for a year and enjoy it, who know might even be able to break the 100 hp at the flywheel!

Once I've got the money, time and knowledge together, I'll get a SC 7 port head along with the individual throttle bodies and wire up a nice ECU too. I'll also sell the Weber's to offset the cost of the new head - Still, its something to get the extra 2k costs back!

#8 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:06 PM

If I were you I would save for the Injection set up for this head http://twinkam.co.uk.../Products/SC209

#9 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:21 PM

If I were you I would save for the Injection set up for this head http://twinkam.co.uk.../Products/SC209

It's much better value if you can buy the SC 7 port head and matched injection rather than this set up for the non SC head and a separate head from another supplier.

#10 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:31 AM

Or you could use something like Megasquirt, make a plenum and use a single throttle body. Not quite as nice as the individual body setup, but a whole load cheaper.

Phil.

#11 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

It's much better value if you can buy the SC 7 port head and matched injection rather than this set up for the non SC head and a separate head from another supplier.

that is a matching head and inj set up

#12 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

The one you've listed is the injection set for a none SC 7 port head.

#13 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:26 PM

ok My apologizes I just clicked the pic about the kit but they sell the 7PORT HEAD and INJ KIT

#14 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:08 AM

ok My apologizes I just clicked the pic about the kit but they sell the 7PORT HEAD and INJ KIT
Yes, it's a great piece of kit. I have it fitted on mine.

#15 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:20 PM

Discount the idea of webers with the SC head. They don't make a manifold contrary to what they say on the website and if you make your own manifolds you loose the gains from the SC head over other 7 ports. They manage a straight port tract into the outer cylinders which is perfect for their direct to head throttle bodies, however if you then overlay the weber port pattern you have to run a steep angle into the ports or a very long manifold to smooth out the angle but end up with the webers outside the bodywork. 

I have roughly CAD'd up the head and using a weber I found on grabcad made a 20mm manifold (the smallest I could manage) it still ended up with 80% of the weber outside the bonnet and then you will want ram pipes. 

I am now investigating using Mikuni carbs which have a better port spacing (still not ideal) and they are shorter than the weber, but I still expect some ram pipes poking through the bonnet. 

(I found out about the weber situation the hard way after spending on a second hand SC head and tried buying a weber manifold from them) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users