#16 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

If the cam sensor is too high I'm a tad concerned you might have worse clearance issues if it's going in a standard front subframe.

Clearance isn't an issue behind, the manifold and turbo are your regular set up on a lot of turbo mini's, however the MPi has the annoying issue of not having a fuel pump hole in the block. The cam sensor sits higher than this would normally and isn't an option as it's right behind the cold side of the turbo.

Why would i need a scavenger pump? Surely gravity will be doing the job after the oil escapes the turbo's core, like on every other petrol turbo engine.

#17 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

My thoughts are having something like the VW Golf petrol turbo engine

pic07.jpg

#18 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

Better picture

384.jpg

#19 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

One guy used the speedo hole. Depends what you want to do. If you're happy to dripp and tap some where etc. As long as the drain is free flowing then it will be fun. On side mounted turbos people have used the dizzy hole.

#20 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

One guy used the speedo hole. Depends what you want to do. If you're happy to dripp and tap some where etc. As long as the drain is free flowing then it will be fun. On side mounted turbos people have used the dizzy hole.

Another MPi restriction  :lol:

#21 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

What about the fuel pump hole

Its an MPi.

its a flat on the mpi drill and tap a fitting.  On photo1 is that a hole in the block

#22 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

What about the fuel pump hole

Its an MPi.

its a flat on the mpi drill and tap a fitting.  On photo1 is that a hole in the block

The hole in the block is the camshaft sensor which sits 25mm higher than the fuel pump hole would normally. The other option is, as you say, drill the block.

#23 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

I'd always assumed it was the same place, but I can see as it's a smaller hole than for the pump the bottom of the opening can be higher.  Is there room under the cam sensor to drill a drain hole? It'll need to a reasonable size to avoid back pressure holding oil back in the turbo.

I really don't like the idea of trying to thread a pipe fixing in to the gearbox casing. Unless you strip it down, degrease, and weld on a boss to be sure it's substantial enough to hold. It's unlikely you'd find a bit flat enough to take a bulkhead fitted to take that approach.

Just an idle thought, but the transfer gears would probably make best use of extra oil.

#24 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'd always assumed it was the same place, but I can see as it's a smaller hole than for the pump the bottom of the opening can be higher.  Is there room under the cam sensor to drill a drain hole? It'll need to a reasonable size to avoid back pressure holding oil back in the turbo.

I really don't like the idea of trying to thread a pipe fixing in to the gearbox casing. Unless you strip it down, degrease, and weld on a boss to be sure it's substantial enough to hold. It's unlikely you'd find a bit flat enough to take a bulkhead fitted to take that approach.

Just an idle thought, but the transfer gears would probably make best use of extra oil.

I haven't got my old A series block, otherwise i'd have got a comparison photo between the 2. There is room below, but to the left of the web it sits on. I'll take a look at the option of draining the oil onto the drops. Either way, i'll be having an AN-10 boss fitting welded onto the alloy, had something similar done to a cylinder head on my last Evo 9.

#25 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:04 PM

the crank gets quite close around that area of the box, so if you put a threaded fitting through you could have contact, but as your talking about geting a boss put on you should be fine,

#26 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

I haven't got my old A series block, otherwise i'd have got a comparison photo between the 2. There is room below, but to the left of the web it sits on. I'll take a look at the option of draining the oil onto the drops. Either way, i'll be having an AN-10 boss fitting welded onto the alloy, had something similar done to a cylinder head on my last Evo 9.

Just thinking outside the box, as an alternitive to welding it why not drill the box with a counterbore drill bit. As long as you don't press too hard it will machine a level face on the outside of the alloy. Thread the hole and use a fitting that requires a copper/nylon washer to seal it (a copper/nylon washer is good enough for the sump plug) and for belt and braces use some RTV or thread sealant and secure it with a thin locking nut. Just a thought 

#27 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:34 PM

An option, but is there enough metal? They're fairly rough castings as it is.

#28 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

An option, but is there enough metal? They're fairly rough castings as it is.

If it's thin, the lock washer on the inside will secure it.

#29 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

http://www.turbomini...p=vt&tid=419838

I knew I'd seen it before. That's my exact solution and it works perfectly.

#30 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

You don't want to load the idle gears up with extra oil as it starts to put to much oil around the primary gear and it will leak.

http://www.turbomini...p=vt&tid=419838

I knew I'd seen it before. That's my exact solution and it works perfectly.

Was going to suggest this :).

A nice downhill free flowing path.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users