Photo

What're Peoples Thoughts On This Then? The 100K Mini From David Brown ...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RichMPiBlue

RichMPiBlue

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:14 PM

#2 RichMPiBlue

RichMPiBlue

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:15 PM

I don't like it, lol! Especially them LED front lights.  :X

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

I don't like shmee. I just want to punch him in the throat every time he makes one of his awful videos and humble brags about how rich he is. *******.

#4 RichMPiBlue

RichMPiBlue

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

I don't like shmee. I just want to punch him in the throat every time he makes one of his awful videos and humble brags about how rich he is. *******.

Agree, lol! 

#5 RichMPiBlue

RichMPiBlue

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:30 PM

I just had to comment in the comment section via the video! I quote myself; "I own two classic minis worth together 20k plus. This new remaster from David Brown is awful! It looks like a Fiat 500 inside and them LED front lights are ugly, lol! Don't edit yourself as the old saying goes---originals are the best for their time. Keep all the new gadgets/add ons to the new BMW Bini (mini), lol!"  :lol:

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

Insight: the story behind the Mini Remastered

"When the Remastered idea was revealed Brown and his small team talked about initial production of about 100 cars a year, a settle-down volume of about 250 and delivery of the first car this November. But by the end of the first day, serious enquiries – some from as far afield as Japan and Australia – had topped 650, and now the number has swelled beyond 2000. The phone rings all the time.

The company’s tiny sales team (comprising people who do other jobs but have had to learn a new skill) has started taking £2000 deposits so those with a particularly severe case of gotta-have-one disease can be on a waiting list. It’s not that the company really wants a waiting list at this stage; more that it’s a way of coping with relentless customer pressure. Brown calls the response “brilliant”, but also knows it’s going to force a re-think of his business model.

Why choose to remake Alec Issigonis’s famous little city car? “We’d been thinking about a new project for quite a while,” says Brown. “It had to be something with a bit of volume attached to it. Remastering and improving a famous British car seemed the most appealing idea. There were some obvious candidates such as the E-type, but the Mini appealed most of all.”

For the big Remastered announcement, Brown and DBA built three prototypes to show off potential themes: a luxurious Monte Carlo, a more basic Club Sport and a traditional Classic, ranging downward in price from £85,000 to £75,000 (before local taxes)."

https://www.autocar....mini-remastered

Previous TMF thread:-

http://www.theminifo...own-automotive/

#7 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

What does BMW think of all this ? 

#8 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

What does the DVLA think of it would be a better question, given it falls foul of the 8 point rule for retaining it's registration, and would be caught by the radically altered vehicle rules and require and IVA which it doesn't pass and hasn't passed based on the registration on show.  £100k for a car that has huge potential legal liabilities seems a bit steep to me.

I suspect it's all *******, that there's no intention to make and sell any of these for use in the UK and the whole thing is a publicity stunt.

#9 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:38 AM

Quote from their site

Officially, DBA refurbishes Minis, rather than making new ones, which means it will never get into the copyright trouble that has dogged other revival schemes. It works with existing cars, obtaining new shells from British Motor Heritage (a legitimate form of restoration) then sets out on a long, labour-intensive job of preparing and de-seaming them, refitting as much of the original equipment as is relevant, equipping each car with a 1275cc engine and much, much more.

#10 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Yes, but deseaming them brings them under the radically altered vehicle rules so they need an IVA.

And replacing the subframes (Not sure what they do with the engine?) with new means they fall foul of the 8 point rule too, so again they need an IVA and I don't think they can then retain the original registration.

#11 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

unconvinced.....

Its a bit like bumping into an old girlfriend from when you were 18 who's now in her 40's and has had some work done and doesn't like quite right. O_O

The lights are particularly awful to me . 80k?? nope, beyond niche that.

shmee is also a character that divides, clearly i'm not in the demographic for his target audience, i'm probably a bit long in the tooth. He clearly is living the dream travelling all over the world driving someone else's fast car but it all comes across a bit fan boy and I can't see top gear knocking on his door anytime soon. I've driven down there a lot and if I were doing a clasic mini piece I would have made the effort to do col d'turini or a bit of route napoloen which would have had some kudos re the mini's finest hour and the rally. If he said he was in monaco once he said it four times!

The weather looks better though, but for now I think its safe to say the pistonbroke cheque book can stay where it is...... :proud:

#12 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

I actually quite like the lights, they don't look better on that Mini, but the rears would go fairly well on my Minus, the original lights are quite jarring on the smaller and smoother rear end that the Minus has and the MK1 lights aren't much better. 

I wouldn't match the style exactly, but the concept of getting the lights to stick out less and match the curve better works for me.

#13 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

Whilst i don't like them, due to the de-seaming and the rear lights. What you can't deny is the quality of workmanship and the clever design touches like the switches, controls and the dashboard. If they did restoration work it would be very well done.

#14 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

excellent workmanship, no argument there. Unconvinced as to whether thats eighty grands worth though or just some hefty peddling of a nostalagic bandwagon.

#15 ukcooper

ukcooper

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

give em 50 quid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users