#1 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

As the topic title, which do you think is the best Rust Treatment.
Do I go for a Rust Converter or Rust Killer?
I bought some Jenolite, but it is liquid and useless on vertical or overhead surfaces, so a Gel would seem to be preferable.

I am expecting some conflicting replies as someone may prefer product A to Product B, whilst someone else may say Product A is rubbish.

I look forward to your comments.

Oh Merry Christams to everyone.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

Bilt Hamber Deox gel. Seriously recommend this. You must however follow the instructions to the letter.

The one thing I will say here is if it’s badly pitted then think about cutting out and replace with fresh metal. Surface corrosion is fine but heavier stuff will mean the metal is very thin.

#3 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

Take a look at the spec sheets for both the deox gel and hydrate 80. I have used only hydrate 80 but it is a great product for its intended application.

#4 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

every year pull it of and redo it.........

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

Deox gel - it's amazing

#6 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

Ive been using deox gel after sonikk mentioning it on here and its good stuff. Comes in a big tub so well worth the £15 price tag or what ever it is

#7 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

As above detox gel BUT you must get rid of as much rust as possible,after trialing different products I removed the dried detox gel to find rust still visible.WITHOUT a doubt the best cure for rust is a angle grinder

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

As above detox gel BUT you must get rid of as much rust as possible,after trialing different products I removed the dried detox gel to find rust still visible.WITHOUT a doubt the best cure for rust is a angle grinder

Too true! If using the gel, I wire wheel the area a set much as possible before hand.

#9 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

Once applied thickly you must apply cling film to the gel to stop it drying. As Sonik says, "You must follow the instructions to the letter." Multiple applications may be necessary.

https://www.bilthamb...tments/deox-gel

#10 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

Done it to the letter( bit anal like that).as said when ground back rust still there tried 3 pieces of metal laying good thickness of product on allat different stages of corrosion with same results it will not penetrate deep at all

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

What you have to remember with anything like this, if its deeply pitted then you basically peeing into wind. I always use a twisted wire cup to remove the worst but if its pitted then you are effectively wasting your time.

Surface rust, well with that is works like a dream.

So going on from then what are your choices.

Media or sand blasting is perfect for removing rust without removing metal, negative sides, its messy and if done wrong can distort things.

Cut it out and replace with fresh metal. The perfect cure.

Yes there are products other than Bilt Hamber but and its a big but none of these are perfect as ultimate rust removers. They all act temporarily to lessor or greater degrees.

I have a lot of different products over the years and none have cured rust. held it at bay, yes but eventually it shows its ugly head again.

And the biggest thing on our little cars from a shell point of view is the thickness of metal. Its thin, very thin and once pitted its weakening and it rusts from the inside out.

#12 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:14 PM

I’m not saying it’s a bad product,if I was recommending a rust cure it would be bilt hamber .Just want people to be aware it’s not 100% reliable.like you say you have to be aware of the products limitations

#13 AndyR

AndyR

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

I personally prefer using phosphoric acid solutions ie Prep and Ready from Por15 plus others.  Being liquid it gets in all the little nooks n crannies and dissolves the rust, it needs to be kept wet for a while but works well.  The only downside to phosphoric acid based gels/fluids etc is they have to be neutralised with water, often leaving flash rusting afterwards.  The best method i have found so far is to let it do its work, neutralise with water and then using a spray bottle, wash the water off with Methylated spirits / denatured alcohol to dilute the water and get it to evaporate quicker stopping the flash rusting.

Andy

Edited by AndyR, 31 December 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#14 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

Some good advice here this is my preferred route,did not want to advise people to be using acids,I courently have the bottom of my a posts and b posts soaking in a solution on the van,I then neutralise with water and fully dry with a hair dryer works like a charm all be it more work

#15 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

The only fly in the ointment here with using acid is the recent attacks on people. Not against using it as a rust treatment and to be honest never looked into using pure Phosphoric Acid. Something worth baring in mind.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users